First Prev
of 15
Next Last
jamie

United States

#1 May 30, 2007
i heard there were some changes to the rules on the river. where can i find out about them? thanks, jamie
You bet

United States

#2 May 31, 2007
The new regulations are at www.nps.gov/ozar . Click on control rowdy behavior. Hope this helps.
Kyle

Paducah, KY

#3 Jul 11, 2007
I am trying to find out if they are enforcing the 6 beer rule on the current. Does anybody know anything about this?
You bet

United States

#4 Jul 16, 2007
According to the NPS, the 6 beer rule is only a recommendation.
Mister Fun Paducah KY

United States

#5 Jul 17, 2007
We've always had a boom box and plenty of beverages...especially beer, but we've never caused problems or been disorderly. It's a shame a few idiots ruin it for the people who can party and maintain their cool.
Jolly Cone_ Van Buren MO

United States

#6 Jul 17, 2007
This limit on alcohol could lower the sightings of Little Joey Davis!!!! Little Joey was born at Big Springs Medical Clinic near Van Buren in 1961. His parents were Dr. Robert Davis and his wife Frances. Dr. Robert Davis was originally from Birch Tree and had built the Rose Cliff Hotel at Van Buren during 1927. It overlooked Current River across the bridge from Van Buren and was the largest inn along the river. Joey's mother Frances ran the hotel while his dad worked at the clinic. Both jobs required long hours so Little Joey was left unsupervised and to fend for his own very often. Little Joey became very independent as well as very disoriented. He never made friends and felt he had to hurt anyone or anything that got in his way, he was a bad boy.
Continued below......
Jolly Cone_ Van Buren MO

United States

#7 Jul 17, 2007
When he was 5 he was so mean he would climb trees in the spring to get birds' nest and destroy the eggs or young fowl that were present. He chuckled at the adult birds as they angrily scolded him with their chirps. Little Joey would never listen to anything his parents told him, instead he would run away upstream and float down the river on old logs he would find in the woods, sometimes not even returning to the Rose Cliff at night, just sleeping on the bluffs. When Little Joey turned 6 it was time for him to attend Van Buren Elementary School. To say his first day was a disaster is an understatement. Being in the center of town Little Joey was the first one to be picked up by the bus.
Continued below.....
Jolly Cone_ Van Buren MO

United States

#8 Jul 17, 2007
Little Joey took one of his dad's scalpels with him that first day and cut a hole in the back of every seat on the bus. The other kids did not know why the holes were there, they didn't even ask. When the bus arrived at the school there were two children missing, Little Marilyn Roberson and Little Joey Davis. By the time the driver went back to search the bus again for the missing children smoke was pouring from underneath the hood. When the driver lifted the hood there was Little Joey cutting all the wires and the engine engulfing in flames. Little Marilyn Roberson 's body was found along Highway M between Van Buren and Waymeyer on the side of the road, battered, bruised and bloodied. Little Joey admitted pushing her out the back door of the bus. He was a bad boy. The bus was totaled and still sits along Highway M as a reminder of the hell that day.
Continued below.....
Jolly Cone_ Van Buren MO

United States

#9 Jul 17, 2007
Little Joey was sent off to a mental institution in Springfield until he was 16. By the time he returned to the Rose Cliff his father had been killed by guerillas in Vietnam when he had gone over to work missions there. His mother was still operating the hotel, but she as well as the hotel had grown older and had fallen into disrepair. Van Buren had changed a lot since Little Joey had been away, becoming more of a tourist area. Little Joey had developed sleep apnea over time, probably from spending all those cool summer nights on the bluffs. Little Joey never did float the river again, but he did walk along the bluffs. Little Joey began hunting using only his bare hands and a big knife. One hunter tells of seeing Little Joey bent over a deer carcass covered in blood eating the raw flesh from it like a savage wolf. He said it was the scariest thing he had ever seen, Little Joey looking up with his crazed, lifeless stare, the warm deer blood steaming on and around him that cool morning. People would see Little Joey walking down the street across the bridge to town and the old hotel and back, always carrying deer antlers and cracking them together as he walked. Little Joey started his first and only job when he was 17. He worked at the Rose Cliff where they always had a deer check station. He would tote deer around, and help weigh them.
Little Joey loved the river and the Rose Cliff. On his days off Little Joey would walk over to town and get two cans of beer, walk back, sit on the veranda above the river and drink the two cans of beer. After a while he'd walk back and get two more cans. By the time his mother had supper ready he'd have drunk several beers. One day one of the Foresters working out the boundaries of the Mark Twain National Forest staying at the hotel said "Little Joey, let me get you a case. You won't have to go over to town so much." Little Joey replied "What the hell you think I do this for? I like to go over to town! Don't want to get but two at a time! Gives me something to do? Frances Davis died from pneumonia that winter and the Rose Cliff Hotel mysteriously burned two weeks later. No one ever saw Little Joey after that. Some that were closest to the Davis family say that he went to Vietnam to get revenge on his father's killers and to get help for his sleep apnea. People floating the river as well as hunters and hikers turned up missing without a trace not long after the Rose Cliff burned.
Down M hwy where the pavement ends and gravel begins, weird things start happening. A lot of people have died down this way, mostly tourists usually the cause of death listed as drinking and driving and them not being used to the roads. People tell that out of the tombstones and markers along the road there is a white swish with a face coming out of the head stones like a warning causing the drivers to swerve. Same goes for the deaths along the river attributed to drunkeness. Witnesses tell a different story. Waymeyer has had a lot of sightings of figures in the woods where these people have died. Green eyes have been reported at the last house on M Hwy.
Some say that Little Joey Davis still haunts the Current River to this day. Go out there by yourself late at night sometime, stand up on those bluffs and wait. It's haunted, not by evil spirits and not by benign ones either. Current River is haunted by someone as bad as the devil himself, Little Joey Davis. His ghost doesn't give a damn about you because he knows he is going to outlive the humans. When we're all gone the spirit of Little Joey will still be living there haunting every poor wretched soul that dares to bother him.
MAD AS HELL

Houston, TX

#10 Jul 19, 2007
LITTLR JOEY DAVIS COULD GET HIS ASS KICKED IF I SEE HIM WITH MY COOLER OF BEER THAT GOT STOLE DOWN AT D.R.!! I AM THE ORIGANAL GHOST BUSTER BIIITCCCCHH
MAD AQS HELL

Houston, TX

#11 Jul 20, 2007
I CUMMIN LITTLE JOEY DAVIS THIS WEEKEND WITH A NEW COOLER AND A BUNCH OF COLD BEER SO IF YOU FEEL LUCKY YOU SPINELESS LITTLE BITCH COME ON DOWN AND LETS DRINK ONE I CANT WAIT !!!!
Jolly Cone_ Van Buren MO

United States

#12 Jul 22, 2007
Sorry about your loss. I don't know if ghosts have spines or not, but I imagine if it was Little Joey he would have paid you for them. He was a bad boy, but he always paid for his beer.
MAD AS HELL

Houston, TX

#13 Jul 26, 2007
SORRY CAN KISS MY A@# JUST LIKE LITTLE JOEY AND IF HE SHOWS ME HIS FACE ILL RIP HIS SPINE OUT AND BEAT HIM WITH IT THEN ILL CHOKE HIM WITH YOUR TAMPON JOLLY CONE YOUR USED TAMPON THAT IS YOU BUNCH OF HEE HAW LOOKING M F !!!!!
Little Joey Davis

United States

#14 Jul 26, 2007
I'll shove my 2 empty beer cans up your a** sideways until you smile & like it Mad As Hell! Who would want to drink your nasty old Schaefer Light beer? As far as I'm concerned you're a loser for staying at DR in the first place. hee haw
MAD AS HELL

Houston, TX

#16 Jul 27, 2007
KISS MY WHAT
keiser

Waynesboro, VA

#17 Jul 29, 2007
MAD AS HELL wrote:
LITTLR JOEY DAVIS COULD GET HIS ASS KICKED IF I SEE HIM WITH MY COOLER OF BEER THAT GOT STOLE DOWN AT D.R.!! I AM THE ORIGANAL GHOST BUSTER BIIITCCCCHH
van buren is my home town and i have never heard of this . the rose cliff was not owned by davisand the only dr in town was dr ruzinski. no clinic existed during this time. this is a big lie
Bob Saults

United States

#18 Jul 30, 2007
I was born and raised in Van Buren, and have lived here for 68 years and knew Dr. Davis and his family, and the story mentioned above is true except I am quite certain Joey Davis had neurofibromatosis also known as Elephant Man disease. It does appear that someone is having fun with the dreadful story, but I can tell you that the fire on the bus was caused by a cigarette lighter and lighter fluid Joey had stolen from his father that morning. Robert Davis always smoked a pipe and this was the finding after the accident. I remember the funeral of the little girl and the agony everyone in town felt afterwards.
Jazmyne

United States

#19 Jul 30, 2007
I've seen the bus parked on M highway and wondered why it was left there like that. The people at the Landing told us the story of Little Joey Davis, and they said it was true. Current River was a blast!
Jolly Cone_Van Buren MO

United States

#20 Jul 30, 2007
keiser wrote:
<quoted text>van buren is my home town and i have never heard of this . the rose cliff was not owned by davisand the only dr in town was dr ruzinski. no clinic existed during this time. this is a big lie
Almost everywhere you go in the Ozarks you find that somebody thinks they know everything! You might think this is ridiculous, but it's true, this is coming from someone who really IS from Van Buren!!!!
Jolly Cone_Van Buren MO

United States

#21 Jul 30, 2007
Keiser from Va. here are some more facts about the Rose Cliff that you might like to know: The Rose Cliff Hotel was built in 1927-1929 by Robert I. Davis along the Current River in what was known as “South” Van Buren. The hotel was a regional landmark, and was the tempo­rary home of teachers, salesmen, politicians, vacationers, conservationists, hunters, fishermen, journalists, writers, and other travelers. Among the guests who signed the hotel’s registers were Governor Forrest Donnell, Thomas Hart Benton, Leonard Hall, Dan Saults, and other prominent Missouri­ans, many of whom were instrumental in preventing construction of a dam on the Current River and establishing the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. The Rose Cliff closed in the 1960s, and burned during its restoration in the 1980s. For more information on the Rose Cliff, see the ar­ticle by Lynn Morrow, “Rose Cliff Hotel...a Missouri Forum for Environmental Policy,” Gateway Heritage (Fall 1982): 38-48.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Buren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Classix computers 15 min Brp 9
park service camera's 15 min box 4
Bye Bye Crowley 5 hr I understand 6
What is wrong with this town 8 hr News 3
getting ripped of by piedmont contractors!!!! (Aug '10) 8 hr funny 31
Today in Piedmont I saw... (Jan '14) 9 hr Barb_On_The_War_Path 160
did stefan hastings try to commit suicide? (Mar '14) 13 hr Ewwwwww 30
Van Buren Dating
Find my Match

Van Buren Jobs