Laura Melton has requested a RECOUNT !!!

Posted in the Van Buren Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of86
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
crash

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

gmab wrote:
<quoted text>I think i understand the reasoning but its the reasoning that makes no sense. as far as the election, part 1) a candidate should be able to ask for a recount when the vote is as close as it is and there are laws in place that protect the candidates in these cases. melton is dead and he nor his wife have any legal interest in the election results. that being the case, does the public have any legal right to request a recount? that brings me to part 2) if the public can show cause that there were voting problems that caused them not to be able to vote or that their votes werent counted then there might be a case for the public to intervene. as it is, even though the poles ran out of ballots people were still able to cast their votes using the voting machines in place for disabled voters. every one that was at the poles by seven was able to vote. this is standard everywhere in missouri.
I respect your argument, but there are other valid disputes over the election results.
It is my understanding that many are disputing the less than 1% differential in the Sheriff's Election. Many claim that at least some of the votes were counted by hand. Given the less than 1% differential and considering the "human error" factor, the vote is just too close to not request a recount. For those who have these doubts, they would of course turn to the person closest to Sheriff Melton to voice concern: Laura Melton. As executor of his estate and in an attempt to abide by what she feels would be his wishes; Laura is filing for a recount in order for there to be a special election.
Some dispute your claim that everyone was allowed to vote, even when they were in line prior to 7 pm. There has also been claims that they did not know how to use the voting machines properly without the ballots.
While none of this can change what has befallen the Melton family, I sincerely believe that Laura is fighting what she feels is an injustice and fighting for the men and women of Carter County who supported her husband. JMO

P.S. Watch out for Porter! He's a mean one when he gets riled up!LOL
gmab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

crash wrote:
<quoted text>
I respect your argument, but there are other valid disputes over the election results.
It is my understanding that many are disputing the less than 1% differential in the Sheriff's Election. Many claim that at least some of the votes were counted by hand. Given the less than 1% differential and considering the "human error" factor, the vote is just too close to not request a recount. For those who have these doubts, they would of course turn to the person closest to Sheriff Melton to voice concern: Laura Melton. As executor of his estate and in an attempt to abide by what she feels would be his wishes; Laura is filing for a recount in order for there to be a special election.
Some dispute your claim that everyone was allowed to vote, even when they were in line prior to 7 pm. There has also been claims that they did not know how to use the voting machines properly without the ballots.
While none of this can change what has befallen the Melton family, I sincerely believe that Laura is fighting what she feels is an injustice and fighting for the men and women of Carter County who supported her husband. JMO
P.S. Watch out for Porter! He's a mean one when he gets riled up!LOL
both you and porter listen close! laura has no dog in this fight. i believe that strongly, and you should listen to me! if you two believe strongly that you need to change this election outcome-find more that two people that felt that they were disenfranchised. possibly a pole worker that told them they must vote for adams because greg was dead or maybe someone who was told they must vote a straight ticket if they were a republican and many possibilities concerning absentee or early voting. you are talking about two votes only.for the record, i am certain that you were both friends with greg. i didnt know him. my family supported him. greg was no angle but even good people get caught up in bad things
gmab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

one more thing-there must be a motion filed with the board of elections BEFORE the results are certified
crash

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Judged:

gmab wrote:
<quoted text>both you and porter listen close! laura has no dog in this fight. i believe that strongly, and you should listen to me! if you two believe strongly that you need to change this election outcome-find more that two people that felt that they were disenfranchised. possibly a pole worker that told them they must vote for adams because greg was dead or maybe someone who was told they must vote a straight ticket if they were a republican and many possibilities concerning absentee or early voting. you are talking about two votes only.for the record, i am certain that you were both friends with greg. i didnt know him. my family supported him. greg was no angle but even good people get caught up in bad things
gmab, you are loosing your rational debating prowess. The point of a debate are two opposing thoughts or opinions expressed in any forum. You are good at this, come on!
I am listening to you; but I choose to disagree. That does not invalidate your opinion or your argument. Nor does it invalidate my opinion or agrument due to the fact that I do not agree with your opinion...And so on, and so on, ect., ect,...
As the executor of Greg's estate, I do feel that Laura may, in fact have a legal and ligitimate right to file for a recount. I am sure, that if she does not have the legal right to file for the recount, that the state will deny her the request. That issue will then be resolved.
I have never denied that I was a friend of Sheriff Melton. As a friend of Sheriff Melton's I will agree that he was far from perfect; no one is. But, it does not change the fact that he was on the ballot as a candidate in an election. It is my belief (with the information I have been given)that there needs to be a recount due to the less than 1% differential.
I have never been told that any pole worker acted improperly. I have never used this argument. I am not accusing anyone of illegal acts. I am merely citing the logic of human error.
IF there were registered voters deprived of their right to vote due to the lack of ballots or improper usage of the voting machines; and IF there were counting errors: then there needs to be corrections made! Not only for this election, but for all future elections.
crash

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

gmab wrote:
one more thing-there must be a motion filed with the board of elections BEFORE the results are certified
Oops, missed this one.
It is my understanding that the election results have (as of yet) to be certified.
I am far...from an attorney, but after reading Missouri Law on the Secretary of State legal site regarding election laws and procedures for recounts (115.539-115.573); I understood it to state that they have ten days to file (through an attorney) with the state requesting a recount. I could not find anything concerning the contingency of the candidate being deceased. I could be way wrong here, but that's really for the attorneys to sort through. JMO
gmab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

you should really sift through what iv written. gregs estate has no interest in the election outcome so laura has no grounds. the key is finding TWO or more votes for adams that were cast given in-proper counseling from a person of authority such as an election judge and so on. you need two votes only but ignorance is no excuse. if this means so much to you get off your ass and make it happen! only two votes!
crash

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

gmab wrote:
you should really sift through what iv written. gregs estate has no interest in the election outcome so laura has no grounds. the key is finding TWO or more votes for adams that were cast given in-proper counseling from a person of authority such as an election judge and so on. you need two votes only but ignorance is no excuse. if this means so much to you get off your ass and make it happen! only two votes!
Are you "Drunk Blogging" again? You always get a little overly emotional whenever you've been drinking. Missing POPS and wanting to pick a fight? O.K. I'll play...
Are you an attorney? Shall I refer to you as "Esquire gmab" in the future? Write a lot of Missouri Constitutional Law, have you? Or have you been holding out on us and you are a member of the Missouri Supreme Court or is that Secretary of State or Attorney General?
You are a lot more important than I ever imagined. Forgive me and my simple-mindedness. I just don't know any better. I apologize for wasting your precious time in matters far beyond my simple intellect.
I am merely citing the 1% differential. I have not heard anyone post anything about "improper counsel". You are the only post I have read regarding this allegation.
AND...you really need to read through all of my old posts. I am no longer a resident of CC. I have not been for many years. So even if I get off my "LAZY ASS" and "DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT" it would be futile, now wouldn't it?
Let the State and Attorney's sort it all out.
I will try to refrain from addressing you in the future.
gmab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Giggle Giggle. come on crash dont be so obtuse. the strategy i was proposing was simply the only one i felt was possible. i personally dont believe that the election should be contested at all (i didnt support either candidate). I dont know of any problems of the nature i was talking about either. if there were their might be a case. the 1% rule- the candidate must exercise this right. his estate has no legal interest in the outcome of the election. the get off your ass statement... meant for those who want to bitch but not stick to their convictions and act! no im not drunk blogging, but thats funny.
Poppy

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

gmab wrote:
gmab-your a real idiot!!!! you can bet your boots we will make it happen.No tommy for sherrif in carter county so sorry.
gmab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Poppy wrote:
<quoted text>gmab-your a real idiot!!!! you can bet your boots we will make it happen.No tommy for sherrif in carter county so sorry.
you fu$kn retard! im giving you ideas to support your position.HELPING YOU. im done with you f$cks. good night.
poppy

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Have you been drinking again? Is this tommy?
gregs daughter

Meadville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

omy wrote:
if you want to hear some pathetic crap look for the post from laura and her daughter. they seem to be quite refined with polished personalities
well...look at the shit we gotta put up with. were goin through a hard time right now and noone can leave the shit alone...
gregs daughter

Meadville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

omy wrote:
if you want to hear some pathetic crap look for the post from laura and her daughter. they seem to be quite refined with polished personalities
out of all the worthless people on here...u pick us to bash when all were doin is holding up for ourselves...
gregs daughter

Meadville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

gmab wrote:
<quoted text>everyone was able to vote as long as they were at the poles on time. what would the people that didnt vote have to gain?
their vote...duh! and no...not everyone would've go to vote if they were at the polls on time. the polls ran outta ballots long before the polls closed!

Since: Aug 08

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

GMAB,

Firs let me say that it's good that we're not still calling each other f**kin retards and a**holes and can have a serios debate.

My position is strictly one of what is right and wrong. I am here to tell you for a FACT that if Tommy lost by 2 votes (less tha 1% of the vote)he would be asking for a receount and HE SHOULD!

Greg would have expected it, and encouraged it, that was the kind of person he was, not so egotistical as to prevent that from happening. Greg would want to know whether or not he trully won.

Now Tommy on other hand is in the position of being two votes ahead and being egotistical, is not under any circumstances going to want a receount and will do anything to prevent that from happening. If he had any balls he would do exactly what he would do if the situation were reversed. The fact that he is not, says a lot about Tommy and his character! Can you honestly have any respect for someone like that?

Everyone understands that Laura's choice under the laws are restrictive, but that does not make it right. Anyone with any objectivity could reasonably see that there is a good possibly that there was a MISS COUNT! That is why I encourage Laura and anyone else to do everything in their power to bring about the recount, including taking the matter to whatever court is necessary.

We are all aware of the fact that for a recount to take place, someone that was disenfranchised at the polls has to come forward and state their case. We are also aware that the county ran out of paper ballots and had to use touch screen voting for some individuals. It is also my understanding in some cases that the poll workers did not have a good sense of how the touch screen voting machines worked, which may have caused wrong votes or no votes, that in itself is possibly a violation of Federal Voting Laws. The county is also in the process of validating the votes in Ellsinore and if there are any discrepancies, there will have to be a recount.

Yes, it's pretty evident that I am a Greg Supporter, but I can honestly say that if there is a recount and Tommy wins by 1 vote than by all means he is the sheriff and I will not take issue with this again!

It seems to me that Tommy doing the right thing and asking for a recount himself could gain him a lot of respect even if he did win!
an opinion

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

the problem is that to many people are to reliant on what other people say. I don't care what Greg or Tommy did to whomever I care what they did to me. they might have treated some people shitty and others nice and they may have treated each other shitty that's none of my business

here is what is my business:

I knew Greg, not well but I knew him and when I talked with him he was respectful and willing to help me if that was the case. when I first met him I felt like I had known him for years thats how he made you feel, comfortable, and treated you like a decent human being.

now on the other hand the day I met tommy I was introduced to him and he would not shake my hand and did not so much as even acknowledge that I was alive.

now I am no big wig and I dont go around commanding respect from everyone I see but when I meet someone for the first time I DO expect that person to shake my hand an acknowledge that I an present and accounted for. and noone that looks down on me as if I am lower that them gets my respect or my vote.. I give respect where respect is deserved.

and before u go on about how I must be a criminal or druggie that's why he didn't talk to me don't even bother typing it as I have never ever been arrested and I have only gotten one ticket in my whole life and that was before Tommy was born.
ellsinore citz

Greenbrier, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

looks like you got this one under control crash so ill keep my big mouth shut. But I have to say if tommy was a man a real human a decent guy a person not afraid of results he would request a recount to insure their was no animosity towards him or his position and that all was on the up and up. I dont expect for him to do this because i know him right now he is staying low hoping he makes it till the 31st of Dec.
crash

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

gmab wrote:
Giggle Giggle. come on crash dont be so obtuse. the strategy i was proposing was simply the only one i felt was possible. i personally dont believe that the election should be contested at all (i didnt support either candidate). I dont know of any problems of the nature i was talking about either. if there were their might be a case. the 1% rule- the candidate must exercise this right. his estate has no legal interest in the outcome of the election. the get off your ass statement... meant for those who want to bitch but not stick to their convictions and act! no im not drunk blogging, but thats funny.
My how you do love to instigate. Playing "Obtuse", am I? You are a sweet talker "Esquire gmab". O.K. I'm back....
(the "drunk blogging" comment was slightly clever wasn't it? LOL )
So, back to the original issue...
From what I have been told, many have (and are) acting on their convictions in contesting the election.
It is my understanding that the election board is currently reviewing the ballots in Ellsinore. Appearantly, this action alone signals the lack of "ass sitting" on the part of voters contesting the election.
Hopefully, someone can help me with this contingency: "If they determine that the ballot count is off, then will they recall the election? Or will there then be a recount? Or a special election?"
juarez

Greenbrier, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

crash wrote:
<quoted text>
My how you do love to instigate. Playing "Obtuse", am I? You are a sweet talker "Esquire gmab". O.K. I'm back....
From what I have been told, many have (and are) acting on their convictions in contesting the election.
It is my understanding that the election board is currently reviewing the ballots in Ellsinore. Appearantly, this action alone signals the lack of "ass sitting" on the part of voters contesting the election.
Hopefully, someone can help me with this contingency: "If they determine that the ballot count is off, then will they recall the election? Or will there then be a recount? Or a special election?"
hello can I say it huh can I please......o please crash can I
gmab

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

crash wrote:
<quoted text>
i would think( and this is only a guess )that if there were votes cast that were invalid, these votes would be thrown out. then a recount with the new tally would be authorized. if the recount proved a different outcome, there would be a special election.
on another note crash, wouldnt it be "gmab esquire" instead of "esquire gmab"? in fact im just an ol hillbilly and quite proud of that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of86
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Van Buren Discussions

Search the Van Buren Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Local Murders 33 min johny boy 53
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 2 hr RNC Rightwing NUT Cases 95,002
What happened out in patterson 4 hr ole timer 16
teresa patterson "fox" 5 hr Channdra 3
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 8 hr layback 6,894
River fun 12 hr cali 9
What Happened to Dr Zimmer? (Oct '13) Wed van buren 16
•••
•••
•••
Van Buren Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••