property taxes
explain it to me

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Jan 11, 2010
The recent Notice to Taxpayer of Assessment Change we all just received indicates that the assessment was performed to complete a prior three year sale study. I know that homes are going for far less that their appraised values so does anyone know why our property taxes continue to go up when homes are selling for less and less every year. I know I took a huge hit when I refinanced because comparable homes sold for so little. What gives???? Shouldn't our property appraisals go down as well as our taxes?

Use this to find tax records
http://www.fikeandfike.com/propertytax/Monroe...
Use this to find addresses
http://www.ypsort.com/main/il/valmeyer/zip/62...
just me

Waterloo, IL

#2 Jan 11, 2010
I'm curious to how my property assessed higher this year when the current sales prices are so low...
bear

Red Bud, IL

#3 Jan 12, 2010
Tell me about it...How about when the Assessors office raises your taxes saying it's due to improvements that were made. No improvements were made. Filed a complaint...they raised them anyway.

The stealing in the county is being done by our elected or appointed officials!!! Really ticks me off when someone is so arrogant about their authority.
just me

Waterloo, IL

#4 Feb 3, 2010
I agree about the stealing...I have to claim my Missouri(I work there) income tax return from last year as income! Damn 1099-G just mailed to me last Saturday! This getting stupid...I should just quit my job, have a bunch of babies (which I would love to do by the way), find some mental illness to claim as a disability and I think I would make more than I make now :O
second class

Columbia, IL

#5 Apr 4, 2010
Taxes are based on value of the improvements on a property. By law the county has to use sales data from the last three years. 07, 08, 09. 2007 prices were the highest, raising the average. Your VALUES will go down in the next few years, your taxes may go down, if local government keeps a check on spending. But, their expences keep going up. At least property taxes are kept local, and for the most part spent locally. If you want to complain, complain about your INCOME TAXES.
someone

Columbia, IL

#6 Apr 8, 2010
So glad we refinanced last year to lower our monthly mortgage payment $100 a month, only to find out that the damn county is going to raise our taxes over $1,000 and the home owners insurance went up as well. Damned if you do, damned if you don't! You can never get ahead of the game. I'm about ready to sell all my stuff and buy a van and go live down by the river.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valmeyer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Briar Lake Place Subdivision 8 hr meathead ronald 7
Blacks in town. 10 hr Will 26
couch on the curb 13 hr Monya 7
john peppercorn the prophet Mon Ricardo montobomb 1
waterloo cheer tryouts (Mar '11) Mon lol 26
Skatepark Actiion (Jul '16) Mon NATE 163
Angela meadors Mon lol 4

Valmeyer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance