What dayouknow

Plano, TX

#382 Dec 19, 2012
I heard Pa talking one night to a neighbor that was a visiting. And heard Pa ment some people he had ran into that he though were just plain old indolent. And I tlod Pa that I sure hoped I nevr caught that desease, sounded real bad to me. And Pa told me it was a real bad desease and I had better never get it around him as bad things jsut might happen. And I sure did not want to find out what thsoe bad things were neither. It sounded worse that I first thought. Good thing I found that bee tree ,the honey was good but the wax mad better candles, they kedpt the dark away.
What dayouknow

Dallas, TX

#383 Dec 28, 2012
Ma wa out on the ront porch sitting n te porch swing just swinging her life away but seemed to be ejoying hrself somehat. When just ou of the uit there came a bood curdling scream that jsut about scred e to death. Welll, atleast I changes 3 different shaes of purple I rcon. So I ran to the porch expectin to see Ma all scaed and riled up, but she was only ried real bad. he started sceaming get me that hose real quck M. What. Now thats what she called me all the time for hrt or What da you kow. I still did not know what shE was all riled up for I looked every where ,up and down and sideays and never seed a thing that was that much troubling. So I just went and got her hose. Thats hen Ma screamed THOSE CRITTERS ARE BACK. Thats when I knew I had a problem, thsoe critters were GOPHERS and being bck meant they were back in the garden. Ma had already declared war on them 4 or 5 years back. She just use a garen water hose to food those critters out . they eiother had to leavefor higher ground or dround.I looked at Ma to see how she was doing and se had that smile on her face agin. I knew what was coming a flood. Yep, she was going to dround out thsoe gophers or watch them head for high ground. Yes sirrreeee something was sure going to get et, Ma had done declared war on thsoe dang pesky critters agin. Wonder how long it will take to win the GOPHER WAR this time. All I could think of was losing my wintr greens and thse fine sweet tasting sugury turnips. Well ,therewas always nest years season for greens. I hope. I just hate eating thoe store boughten cnned greens, they sure aint nare as good.
What dayouknow

Valliant, OK

#384 Dec 28, 2012
It wasnt easy watchin mamma kill them gophers. i can still see mamma rocking back and forth on the porch with that 12 gauge in hand and watching the heat shadows rising off the barrel. Not that i was bothered by the massacre of wildlife but by the sulfer burning my eyes from the gun smoke still lingering in the air. mamma just keeps reloading and fireing at anything that moves. I dont think mamma likes gophers that much.
What dayouknow

Valliant, OK

#385 Dec 28, 2012
the sulfer burning my eyes is nearly as bad as the time when mamma poured salt into my wounds when i reached across the table before grace was finnished. Cant say as i blame mamma for shooting those gophers though, they have been eatin up everything, my basketball, 3 sacks of concrete and 2 chickens and thats just been in the last couple of days. i know that mammas got it out for them gophers when she yelled ITS ON NOW BITCHES. Caught me off guard. i think it may be that they may have ate some of her pants that were hanging out on the clothes line.
What dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#386 Mar 9, 2013
Me and Ma was just enjoying ourselves sitting on the front porch, just having a little lazy time for the day when Ma just ups and mentions that time we spend up in Oklahoma helping out Uncle Larry on his dryland farm. And I do mean dry. It turmed out to be a part enjoyable trip and stay. And we did have some enjoyable times on that trip. But we seen some people that was having a calamity hit in their lives. It all started back in the year of 1934 and the happenings there fore and after. Yep, it did turn in to a disaster for a whole lot of folks. At our arrival at Uncle Larrys place he was working on his farm of neerly 140 acres or so. So after our arrival Ma started noticing all the dust piled up on the screened in front porch and was wondering just exactly where it all came from. About the time we pulled up in front Uncle Larrys house he came out and done his welcoming speech,he sure was speechified and seemed real glad to see us. Started telling us about he had had no visitors for months as all the neighbors had just up and left even leaving anything behind they could not carry off on their trucks and cars. Anyways after he caught up on his speechifying and telling us of the happenings in his neck of the words we stated getting our bedding and beds off of our truck. We though we would get to sleep on the front screend in porch as we had done in the past but Uncle Lary said it was to dusty to sleep there of late. Ma and me Just did not knwo how dusty it was going to get later on. Uncle lLarry moved the kids out to the front room and we put our belongings in their room. We just did not know at that time how adisaster would turn into a tragedy for so many folks.
What dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#387 Mar 9, 2013
The very next morning Ma and I put our rockers on the front porch and down us a little relaxing and jsut enjoying the sit to and talking a bit. While we were setting Aunt Helen called us in for breakfast and Uncle Larry said the blessing and he asked for rain. But as we didnot know it then but later we did, that rain would never come. But the dust came , more and more of it. The land got dryer and even more dryer than any of the folks had ever seen it happen before. The folks did not know it but hard times were coming. And come they did.
What dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#388 Mar 9, 2013
after we had been visiting Uncle Larry on his farm for about a week Ma got to noticing the chickens bumping into each other, walking into the chicken wire fence, and fallling off the roost and out of the nest. Ma figured that was the reason we were not getting enough eggs for breakfast, the chickens were losing them because they could not find their nesting place. Those chickens sure were blind. So Ma just up and caught one of thsoe chickens to make sure blindness was what was wrong with them. After a few minutes I heard Ma call me, Mr. What, get out here.. I got, real quick like. When I saw Ma she ws staring at that chicken she was holding eyeball to eyeball. About that time Ma seen me walking up and said ,this here dang chicken is dust blind. So I did liek Ma told me to do, clled Uncle Larry and his family out to the chicken coop and Ma told me to get a pail of water and some rags. Which Idid, and we all started cleaning thsoe chickens eyes out and it id not take long and those chickens were acting plum natural like. And it werent long before they started laying eggs agin in the hen's nest Ma was always good at solving problems.
What dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#389 Mar 9, 2013
BAck in the DAYS OF THE GREAT DEPRESSION it took great tolerance and grit to try to overcome the intolerances that met a prson during their waking hours. For the other folks as well Uncle Larry were constantly trying to meet and overcome the trials and tribulations of their everyday lives. We soon fund out that the cows wre also getting o much sand and dust in their eyes that they would be blinded by it also. Then part of the herd of cows were found huddled up against a fence, unable to move any further,completely covered in the blown dirt from the surrounding plowed fields. WholeFinally one by one thousands of farmers gave up the battle of fighting a losing battle against the dust storms. In some cases houses were nearly covered by the blowing dirt that gathered up against the side of houses. Even Ma was getting frustated battleing the dust that was entering the house through every crook and cranny covering the tables, gettin inside the house. It was just the beginning of the hard times to come.
What dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#390 Mar 9, 2013
The land had grown so dry and the skies looked dry as a bleached bone. Every one was watching the sky for signs of rain and hope for the land to once agin become fertile for the next season. But no rain came that year of 1934. The land remained dry.
pappy

Lancaster, TX

#391 Mar 9, 2013
What made the depression even worse was the dust storms and waiting and hoping the rains would come. But the rain never came. I do not believe I even saw a cloud in the sky, not one. but one of the strangest things I ever saw sine then andeven no was the tiem the jack rabbit came into Uncle Larrys yard, and just stayed. We noticed he kept bumping into the fence post in the yardand also was very skinny, and of course he looked kinda starved like. So we checked his eyes and they were full of dry dust. So Ma done the rbbit like she done the chickens, cleaned his eyes out and fed him a good meal. Now that perked that rabbit up a whole lot. After a coupleemore days that rabbit just disapeared from sight. Guess he was cured from whatever ailed him. Never saw that rabbit agin. But I saw a lot of his brothers ans sisters. Everyone started calling them Hoover Rabbits. I guess it was in memory of the last president, President Hoover. I kept hearing of people who were running thsoe Hoover jack rabbits down and checking them to see if they were meaty enough to eat, if they had meat on their bone they went into the cook pot for the next meal.
pappy

Lancaster, TX

#392 Mar 9, 2013
One old boy I heard of was called JackRabbit Bill. Some claimed he ran faster than any jack rabbit alive. The claim went even further saying that he would run alongside a jack rabbit and feel of him to check him out to see if he was fit to eat and had meat on his bones. If he was not meaty enough he did not get eaten that day. I sure would have liked to have met that fellla and had a chance to see him run against a jack rabitt in a running contest. that old boy had to be fleet of foot. Boy, he sure had to be fast.
pappy

Lancaster, TX

#393 Mar 10, 2013
After haing my set to at the breakfast table me and Uncle Larry sat there for a while and just whiled away a little bit of time talking about the ever lasting dust that seems to never go away. That egg and grits I had for breakfast was goood to the last bit but a little gritty, reckon it could be the blowing dust in the air making my grittys feel a little bit grittier than usual. Uncle larry agreed with me on that fact. But Uncle Larry seems to think eating a little dsut in your grits adds a little extry vitamins and minerals to a persons diet Helps a body keep fit
pappy

Lancaster, TX

#394 Mar 10, 2013
After breakfast Uncle larry and me moseied on down to his pond to check on the dust level to see if it had attracted any water at all. Then I seen the strangest thing happening. There was a very large bull frog caught right snap dab in the middle of a dsut bog and he was caught up in that dsut bog like he was in a pot of glue. But the most amazing thing I saw was a big large red worm with a texas Rangers ball cap on trying to rescue that bull frog from the dust bog. I pointed out the delema to Uncle Larry and he just squatted back on his haunches and said to me, lts set awile and see what hppens. So we set and set, then dozed awhile, and set some more. Eventually that extry large red worm with the Texas Rangers ball cal on head pulled that struggling busll frog out of that dust bog. Why both of those critters just lay there gasping for breath in the hot air, it was a very hot day for so early in the morning. It had set a net temperture record of 117 degrees that day. But both of those critters just still lay there gasping and looking at each other. Then as fast as the flick of a frogs tongue the froms tongue flipped out from the his mouth and the frog instantly eat that worm that had rescued him from the dust bog. And he did not even give that worm a thank you either. So much for heroes,
pappy

Lancaster, TX

#395 Mar 10, 2013
That was a nice time I had visiting with Mr. What and his Uncle Larry. but even nicer to get out of thsoe dsut storms and back home where things were still green.
what dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#396 Mar 20, 2013
Yep, sure glad I sent old pappy the invite to come for a visit here at Uncle Larrys plave. And sure enough he came visiting. We sure had a grand old time. We even went dryland fishing. And we even caught one of thsoe walking cat fish hunting for water. Now you may think that a walking catfish is real. Now you may think I am telling a whopper, but it is a fact, thsoe critters do walk from place to place. First time either pppy or me had ever cauth anything dryland fishing. Much less a walking catchfish.
what dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#397 Mar 20, 2013
I remember pappy staring that walking catfish in the eyes and looking in disbelief that such a creature actually exist, but they do. And Pappy did a real hard look, yes he did. Then as reality set in and he really had seeen was a real live creature. He set that walking cat fish down , pulled out the water jug, gave that fish a big long slug on that water and sent him on his way. And he even had a big grin on his face. But he was still sorta shaing his head as if he could not believe what he had actually seen.
what dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#398 Mar 20, 2013
I still wonder o this day how in heck was a walking catfish taking a stroll through alll that dust blowing in the wind. And was he stilll alive.
pappy

Lancaster, TX

#399 Apr 11, 2013
mE AND mA WERE JUST AROCKING to and fro on the back porch when a though just about fences. Just think that fences were invented by the white man. Fences were used to lock people out but then they just locked themselves in. Wonder if they built a gate to get out.
what dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#400 Apr 11, 2013
Well pappy,come to thik about that fence man aaalso locked out nature to. Or did the fence lock nature in. Come to think of it pappy, it could be one way or the other.
what dayouknow

Lancaster, TX

#401 Apr 18, 2013
Ma this rockin out on the front porch and the beginnin of spring reminds me of my younger days a fur time back it is. Back in that worst dry spell I ever lived through. Why it was so dry back and the grass prouts so few and fur apart that a jack rabbit had to run at full speed to eat jsut to keep ahead of starvation. thsoe were sure hard times. Do you remember thsoe days Ma? and jsut think of all the Hoover rabbits we ett. And I do believe most of those jack rabbits were even hungryer than we were. But some how those jack rabbits were fast enough to stay ahead of starvation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valliant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colby clinton. punk 21 min Dale Simpson 11
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr yeah 2,668
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 9 hr LOL 75,787
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even Decided to Use ... 13 hr Ghost of a Milk C... 0
Choctaw electric 22 hr that is crazy 26
What are your thoughts on the Adrian Peterson c... Tue Parent 1
choctaw electric board Mon whut 2
•••
Valliant Dating

more search filters