Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,681

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88569 Apr 14, 2013
Well, another lovely day here.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#88570 Apr 15, 2013
Good morning, my fine feathered friends. Arthur stayed all night and brought along his side-kick, Insomnia. They kept me awake all night, even though I tried my best to bow out from their partying.
Weather is still supposed to be beautiful for today, but showers are creeping in for tomorrow, although the temperature will remain high. That spells humidity to me, and I will look forward to the mild temperatures at week's end. Have a good day. Lala

Location hidden

#88571 Apr 15, 2013
Anne wrote:
AW, we pulled the little shed we plan to use for our little flock of chickens closer to the house. Hopefully we can get it "chicken ready" by the first of May!!
Our family used to raise broilers many years ago. We kept them 4-5 weeks then they were gone. The layers were a select few that escaped the mass send off...
Well, that wouldn't do for me. I made pets out of my small flock many moons ago. Frisky, the eldest, passed away when she was 17 years old....from natural causes, I might add.

Location hidden

#88572 Apr 15, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
New pullets typically lay their first egg to be rather small. But after working on an egg farm many years ago with about 1000 laying hens and now with my own flock, I have never seen such a small egg as the one I got yesterday. It is not much bigger than a marble. It might make an omelet for Tom Thumb. LOL
As sure as summer follows a truncated spring, that little hen will lay double yokers, I suspect. You will be feeding them well. She has yet begun her career laying eggs...at least she's not on stage.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88573 Apr 15, 2013
Well good morning!! There's not a lot going on, but it's going to be another beautiful day! The birds will be happy now that I have put out more seeds!

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#88574 Apr 15, 2013
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Love it ! That sounds like something I'd do!!!
Thank you, Anne! I'm truly gratified that you enjoyed that one! Have a great day, my friend!

Houston, TX

#88575 Apr 15, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank-you again for your clean, light-hearted jokes. We need some levity in all our lives; it's a remarkable coping mechanism.
Thank you, Oglala! I do try to keep 'em clean, though sometimes I'll throw one in that's a bit borderline. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it, and I hope that you have an absolutely wonderful day, my friend!!!

Houston, TX

#88576 Apr 15, 2013
During the initial space flights, NASA discovered that ink pens didnít work under zero gravity conditions. To beat the problem, they spent 6 years, and $2 million, in designing a pen for use in space. The pen would work under zero gravity conditions, due to the pressurized ink inside, it would work under sub zero conditions, underwater, on glass and virtually any surface known to man, and only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of thousands of dollars each.

The Russians? Why, hell, they used a pencil!
whitehair

Eminence, KY

#88577 Apr 15, 2013
BIG_STEVIE wrote:
During the initial space flights, NASA discovered that ink pens didnít work under zero gravity conditions. To beat the problem, they spent 6 years, and $2 million, in designing a pen for use in space. The pen would work under zero gravity conditions, due to the pressurized ink inside, it would work under sub zero conditions, underwater, on glass and virtually any surface known to man, and only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of thousands of dollars each.
Now THAT just goes to show enterprise!!! Loved it!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#88578 Apr 15, 2013
Two explosions just rocked downtown Boston during the marathon. Many injuries reported and no word yet who or why this happened. No deaths reported yet, but the injuries are severe. Half a million people were there for the marathon, runners and spectators alike.

I need prayers NOW, PLEASE RIGHT NOW! My baby sister is in Boston today and I can't reach her! Her phone keeps going straight to voice mail.

Please, dear bird thread friends, help me in praying that she's okay. I'm sick to my stomach with worry!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#88579 Apr 15, 2013
@ Nope, I wish your sister well. OMG, two little children got caught in these explosions. Many thoughts and Blessings going out to these people. You hang in there gal and take of that heart.

#88581 Apr 15, 2013
I was finally able to talk to her for a few minutes. Cell phone communications are hit and miss to and from there naturally. So are texts, emails, etc. But she was able to duck into an office somewhere near there so she could make a phone call out to let us know she was okay and that she's is trying to get out of Boston itself.

They've relocated my sister and her staff to another motel, but she's still in downtown Boston as of right now and has no way to get out.

She was directly across the street in her office as it exploded. The second blast was just about a block down the street and detonated seconds after the first one. She said glass exploded everywhere and the scene is total chaos. But she's okay, just frightened. She said they have coworkers who were running the marathon today that they can't locate yet. Her office staff itself was mere minutes from going down to cheer them across the finish line when the bombs exploded.

God was looking out for my baby sister today.

Now, they say that two more devices are being dismantled and a third has possibly been found as well. Not to mention that the JFK Library has had a suspicious fire due to an "unknown cause".

Right now, the city is on lock down and she can't get out. I'm frantic. I might be taking a 17 hour road trip later tonight to go get her out of there if we're able to coordinate a way to get this done.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#88582 Apr 15, 2013
THANK GOD, I am so happy you heard from her. I was going to post this site for you that came from NBC. It just made me cry all over again. So sad.

They just talked to some runners from Louisville about it and the lockdown at the hotels. They were also trying to reassure people extra security measures will be taken for this weekend's THUNDER OVER LOUISVILLE, starting off the Derby festivities. I am sure some will weary about going to either. It is the world we live in. Crazy nutjobs. Unbelievable

They say one of the dead is a 8 year old child. And on Patriot's Day!

Try to relax and stay calm. I am praying for all of them and wish I could come and give you a big hug. How scary.

Friends and family of those in the Boston Marathon, the Red Cross maintains a "safe and well" list. Please share: redcross.org/find-help/cont Ö

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17...

So many videos and tweets just makes you shake your head and your heart sick.((((HUGS))) to you.

#88584 Apr 15, 2013
There are a few people who've been posting on Topix that I'd be very happy to see put in the shoes of that little child who was murdered there today. Some of these posters on here are a waste of air and flesh, yet it's that poor little innocent child who dies?? Oh if we could only see to it that the face of time was changed and it was one of them killed instead. I really don't know what's wrong with people who hide behind a PC and post the evil that they do. It's a sign of mental illness, there's no doubt in my mind.

#88585 Apr 15, 2013
And thank you guys for your wonderful words of comfort. We were scared out of our minds with worry. She's still there in downtown Boston though and so far the only thing we know for sure is that she won't be able to get out of there any time tonight. I'm praying that tomorrow she'll be able to get a flight out.

She says security is SUPER STRONG at all entrances to businesses and motels at this time. They are using handwritten books for registrations, etc. No computerized registrations for the time being. Why, I don't know. But there are armed guards and police at every entrance and exit. Not a single person can come or go from the place she's been evacuated to without being checked for I.D.'s, room keys, etc.

Hopefully she's safe. We have no choice except to trust in God to keep her that way.
Anne

United States

#88586 Apr 15, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
And thank you guys for your wonderful words of comfort. We were scared out of our minds with worry. She's still there in downtown Boston though and so far the only thing we know for sure is that she won't be able to get out of there any time tonight. I'm praying that tomorrow she'll be able to get a flight out.
She says security is SUPER STRONG at all entrances to businesses and motels at this time. They are using handwritten books for registrations, etc. No computerized registrations for the time being. Why, I don't know. But there are armed guards and police at every entrance and exit. Not a single person can come or go from the place she's been evacuated to without being checked for I.D.'s, room keys, etc.
Hopefully she's safe. We have no choice except to trust in God to keep her that way.
My prayers are for your family and all in Boston.
Anne

United States

#88587 Apr 15, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that wouldn't do for me. I made pets out of my small flock many moons ago. Frisky, the eldest, passed away when she was 17 years old....from natural causes, I might add.
My goodness !!! 17 years old!!! That had to be a record!!! I'm sure the grand kids won't let us do anything but collect eggs!! The Amish guy that works for me was glad to hear he had more work to do for me! Lol. Somehow this seems to be just a lot of money out of my pocket ..... Lol
Anne

United States

#88588 Apr 15, 2013
BIG_STEVIE wrote:
Mystery solved!!!! Thanks to you !!!! Now I know where all the pencils in my house have gone!!!! Every time I need a pencil there's absolutely none to be found and now I've discovered the Russians are using them in space!!!!

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#88589 Apr 15, 2013
Was a busy day, but oh how pretty.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#88590 Apr 15, 2013
Anne wrote:
AW, we pulled the little shed we plan to use for our little flock of chickens closer to the house. Hopefully we can get it "chicken ready" by the first of May!!
Our family used to raise broilers many years ago. We kept them 4-5 weeks then they were gone. The layers were a select few that escaped the mass send off...
I did just the opposite. I expanded a shed further away from the house and moved the chickens there. They were a bit too smelly that close to my patio and the rooster insisted on crowing all night long. LOL The expanded shed is large enough to accomdate about 40 chickens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valley Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clint Gentry 2 hr Ummm 1
Grade lane hit and run (Travis Christy)This is ... (Nov '12) 3 hr Marshamg 105
Williams accused of ethics violation (Jun '07) 3 hr Hmmm 63
White people are the children of Satan (Mar '12) 5 hr Chuck 99
Michael Day 8 hr concerned 15
Does anybody knw Brandy Marler from Kings Forest 9 hr spartan 2
where did they go 9 hr spartan 20

Freeze Watch for Jefferson County was issued at October 30 at 2:20PM EDT

Valley Station Dating
Find my Match