Medina Students Organize Own Dance Af...

Medina Students Organize Own Dance After Dirty Dancing Ban

There are 14 comments on the Fox 8 - WJW story from Feb 5, 2011, titled Medina Students Organize Own Dance After Dirty Dancing Ban. In it, Fox 8 - WJW reports that:

According to new rules at Medina High School, students who refuse a breathalyzer or are caught dirty dancing could get the boot! Now, a group of students are "revolting" by organizing their own dance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 - WJW.

Allie

Medina, OH

#1 Feb 5, 2011
These kids need to grow up and act like there is more to life than whether they need to blow in a breathilizer. There are hundreds of kids that die every year from drunk driving, maybe they don't drink, maybe they should take a stand on that rather than acting like a bunch of spoiled brats.
And oh my, poor babies can't dirty dance. The world will come to an end if they can't do that. I don't like Medina Schools but I have to say I definately take a stand with the administration.
Wow, how disappointing from such "responsible" kids.
Megan

Medina, OH

#2 Feb 5, 2011
Maybe the teachers are tired of seeing a bunch of 14 year olds making out and rubbing on each other, it is appalling that such young people act like little hoes and have no self respect. They want to act like adults, well welcome to the real world.
cat

Cleveland, OH

#3 Feb 5, 2011
believe me, the group will be a very small one. They'll end up in a basement bumping and grinding,getting stupid and high on cough medicine. The responsible kid's wont have any part of this other classless dance.
Renee

Medina, OH

#4 Feb 5, 2011
These kids are just being a bunch of spoiled brats because they aren't getting their way. Boo Hoo, we have to take a breathalizer, no wait we are mad about the dancing restrictions, no wait we are mad at the dress code. Real responsible and mature.
We the People

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Feb 7, 2011
On one hand, this is a stunning example of the free market in action.

On the other, this is parents letting kids get away with more dumbass things. Why the schools even have dances anyways is what I would like to know.
aaron

Cleveland, OH

#6 Feb 9, 2011
What is good for the 80's is irresponsible for the 2010's? Come on now; nobody puts baby in the corner.
People need to settle themselves down, take it less seriously and be happy that these kids have a brain in their head enough to do something besides obey orders or just complain.
Hey, hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!
Renee

Medina, OH

#7 Feb 9, 2011
The difference between the 80's and now, is we had parents that didn't take crap off of us. We had boundaries and class without some guy humping our backside. Plus maybe the school doesn't want to be a babysitter on school property of a bunch of kids that think nothing of pulling things out in public. Plus these days parents sue for everything. Can't blame the school. I know I was sick of trying to take my small children to an elementary playground on Guilford only to see two 13 year old girls making out feeling each other up and showing thing. I did leave rather than have my little kids be subjected to trash. Oh where were their parents? hmmm
aaron

United States

#8 Feb 9, 2011
I don't know Renee, I know that things always seem like they're different when you are at different stages or with different details- but, its still the same. Thirty years ago your comment could be the same things the parents said then, and thirty years ago what kids do now is equivilent to what they do now. Just small details change. In the 80's you would now be called a prude.
Allie

Medina, OH

#9 Feb 19, 2011
When I went to school in the 80's sorry we didn't pull body parts out in public, guess we were the ones that were prude or had better parents than most kids now. You can't even walk around Medina with kids not dropping the F bomb even in front of little ones. Wow, how cool.

Heard that St Judes didn't get a much of a donation this year either, did the 2nd dance take up a collection too? Just wondering.
Resident

Medina, OH

#10 Feb 24, 2011
I read the same, didn't know before about the dance as a fundraiser for St. Judes. Pretty sad. I agree with the latest letters to the editor at the Post. And I can't believe some parents were for and helped with the alternative dance. All over grinding/simulated sex type dancing and super short skirts. I've seen how that kind of dancing is done. You can't get much worse short of stripping. All they need is a cat pole. Come on! It's like nobody knows how to act in public anymore. What kind of a generation are we raising here that can't follow the rules and refrain from dry humping each other on the dance floor of a public school and support this charity. Sick. Leave your slutty behavior for private parties or for a private dance on a different night of the Sweetheart dance. "Express yourself" my ___, try some self control and dignity. You'll need it when you're a grown-up.

This isn't Footloose by a long shot.
Megan

Medina, OH

#11 Feb 26, 2011
The school is there to make sure the kids are safe and having a good time. There is dirty dancing and then there is dirty dancing. If the kids wanted to have another dance then that is fine, but enter the media. They didn't disclose the lack of contribution to St Judes, they didn't disclose the schools responsibility. It's sad they have to watch out for drinking, it's sad they have to watch out for some inappropriate things, it's sad these students couldn't suck it up and follow the rules. Good Luck in life kids, your going to be in for a rude awakening when your told
to do something or face the consequences.
John

North East, MD

#12 Feb 27, 2011
Is this not America, where as long as it is legal people can do anything they want? I give it up to these kids. I am sure it took a lot of time and planning to come up with their own dance. The fact that the school dance was a flop shows that most of the kids (who had no imput on the new rules) wanted to attend a dance that was not over burdened with a bunch of self righteous teachers. Also, why do kids have to attend a dance just because it is a fundraiser for St. Judes.
WorkingMom

Orrville, OH

#13 Feb 28, 2011
I applaud the High Schoolers for being responsible and organizing a safe alternative to the school dance. I don't discredit them or their parents for standing up for what they believe. I agree with the owner of Coppertop who said that we do not give teens enough credit. In my estimation, there are more responsible teens than not and I do not agree with punishing the masses becuase of the reckless behavoir of a very few!
What a joke

Medina, OH

#14 Feb 28, 2011
Oh, that's right, we should all be so proud of the little darlings and their indulgent parents.

&fe ature=related

Big surprise, the popular kids put on the dance and the other kids follow like sheep. The student Key Club organized the annual fundraiser in which the proceeds from the dance was going to be a charity donation to St. Jude. The least they could have done was have the alternative dance on a different night to give the other kids a chance to attend the non-ghetto culture school dance without seeming uncool.

One of these days the kiddies are going to find out that there is a time and a place for sleezy grinding of private parts together and a school dance isn't one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valley City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do You Believe that Judge Collier Should be Rem... (Sep '14) 8 hr Heartbroken 6
News Olmsted Falls seeks Cuyahoga County grant money... May 17 Concerned Citizen 1
Fire at Goldies Deli Apr '18 Kay and Bill 4
News Student threats reported at Claggett, Cloverlea... (Mar '12) Mar '18 yep 7
News Man in clown mask carrying knife scares element... Feb '18 Denise 1
Looking for a local sports cards/photos collector Feb '18 SHCP 1
News Chevy dealer honored by GM (Apr '08) Jan '18 RonG 21

Valley City Jobs

Personal Finance

Valley City Mortgages