Bad news for Vallejo

I am very sad and disappointed to learn that one of my favorite restaurants in Vallejo, My Cafe, in downtown on Santa Clara street will not longer exist and be demolished in order for the area to be turned into a parking lot to support the monster of a parking garage -- which will also displace our post office. Read more
gun metal blue

Vallejo, CA

#1 Apr 15, 2009
it is city policy. if it works and is doing well, find a way to close it or make it move elsware. success is not welcome here.
Casual Observer

Vallejo, CA

#2 Apr 15, 2009
Yeah, we want a dump restaurant looking over the waterfront, Vallejo's jewel *smirk*, anymore than we want that ugly insurance and dental office. Losing all that revenue that dump brings in makes me want to cry. Has anyone let the employees know they are losing their jobs yet?? Maybe with the first bulldozer arrives, huh?

But, the one thing you can be sure is constant down there, everyone involved has got a their hand in your pocket and has made a profit off of you and I.

Vallejo life is goooooood! Find another restaurant. I hear Virginia Street has some good ones, that is if you like a good barf with your eggs.
Anonymous

Fairfield, CA

#3 Apr 15, 2009
WETA (Water Emergency Transportation Agency) is holding a public workshop tonight at City Council chambers at 6:30PM so the public can comment on their ferry plans. Good opportunity for you to express your outrage at the proposed parking lot where My Cafe and the Post Office is scheduled for demolition. More concrete dedicated for the benefit of the "wealthy" in Vallejo doesn't help the working poor in Vallejo.
Jemaine

Santa Rosa, CA

#4 Apr 15, 2009
Right now, we've got acres and acres of waterfront land being used for ferry parking. It doesn't make sense for the most valuable land in town to be used as a parking lot.

Building the parking structure will open up much of that land for development, as has been planned for over a decade.

People wonder why nothing ever seems to be happening in Vallejo. Part of the reason is because this town has an attention span about six seconds long. Only when something rises to crisis level is it dealt with. Well, this is part of a much larger plan that has been in the works for quite a while, and we should see it through.
GEE

San Bruno, CA

#5 Apr 15, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
WETA (Water Emergency Transportation Agency) is holding a public workshop tonight at City Council chambers at 6:30PM so the public can comment on their ferry plans. Good opportunity for you to express your outrage at the proposed parking lot where My Cafe and the Post Office is scheduled for demolition. More concrete dedicated for the benefit of the "wealthy" in Vallejo doesn't help the working poor in Vallejo.
The parking garage has nothing to do with being poor or wealthy. It is an eyesore!
My concern is why are we, the City of Vallejo, spending monies we do not have to build the garage? Since the Ferry is now State owned, they can build the garage along with dredging the Strait. Just a thought: Should we be able to build the garage, how long will it take before the State will come and take it the same way they took the Ferry? Doesn't parking go along with riding?
IMHO, at this time, with everything in limbo, one more thing like building a garage to serve declining ridership is ridiculous. How long are we going to retain our Ferry stop at the Waterfront, before the State will listen to the voices that want it moved away from Vallejo? Where are the voices that did not want homes along that area, but are in agreement with a parking garage?
Cappy

Vallejo, CA

#6 Apr 15, 2009
And...for a city looking for extra dollars
NOT ONE SINGLE PARKING METER!
DecideNow

San Francisco, CA

#7 Apr 15, 2009
Maybe someone's expecting a sudden influx of motor vehicles in the downtown area? There used to be parking meters and meter maids collecting tolls and issuing tickets to the hapless motorists but that drove the public away never to be seen again.

Who knows, a new theater could bring in the crowd and fill a normally empty parking garage. Understand Edwards Theater at Solano Mall is luring even the frugal Vallejoans into their widescreen movies.

“See the Democrats run”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#8 Apr 15, 2009
Just think, the restaraunt owner is getting a boatload of money, Jack Higgins, the property owner is getting a boatload of money and the citizens are getting an unnecessary "parking garage" where they can get mugged, raped and even murdered by gutter trash criminals who are going to make that parking garage their base of operations for the entire downtown area.
greyhound bust

San Jose, CA

#9 Apr 15, 2009
Vallejo Astrolabe wrote:
Just think, the restaraunt owner is getting a boatload of money, Jack Higgins, the property owner is getting a boatload of money and the citizens are getting an unnecessary "parking garage" where they can get mugged, raped and even murdered by gutter trash criminals who are going to make that parking garage their base of operations for the entire downtown area.
this seems to be the common sentiment from all sides, that the proximity to 201 maine will serve as a platter of opportunity for anyone with a criminal mindset.
concerned

San Jose, CA

#10 Apr 15, 2009
What the hell do we need a parking garage for??? I really don't understand the need. There is NOTHING downtown that requires that much parking. What the hell is going on? This is a joke. I don't care where the funding is from why a damn garage??? Couldn't the city use the funds towards school renovation or something??? Another STUPID choice by our city leaders. Damn stay out the weed store at lunch time...
anon

Mexico

#11 Apr 15, 2009
concerned wrote:
What the hell do we need a parking garage for??? I really don't understand the need. There is NOTHING downtown that requires that much parking. What the hell is going on? This is a joke. I don't care where the funding is from why a damn garage??? Couldn't the city use the funds towards school renovation or something??? Another STUPID choice by our city leaders. Damn stay out the weed store at lunch time...
It will clear the property of 300+ cars parked on developable property across from the Marina Green and Ferry

“See the Democrats run”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#12 Apr 15, 2009
Think of all that CITY REVENUE flowing in from a parking garage! I think Vallejo has the stupidest people in City Hall compared to every other city in the nation.
Carlitos Way

United States

#13 Apr 15, 2009
Its gonna be awesome to see and hear those police sirens at night as they chase those 201 Maine punks through that garage. I hope they slip and fall from all the broken auto glass as they try to run with a handful of stolen goods. When Mariners Landing was new, cars were hit every night! Stupid punks!
waz up wid dat

San Francisco, CA

#14 Apr 15, 2009
Didnt you all hear? They are going to turn 201 Maine into Senior Housing, it will help place all the seniors that need housing that lived at the Casa de Vallejo. Yep thats right, we are going to give preference to all the seniors on the waiting list for housing. Folks at 201 Maine should get prepared to move to a cheaper area, like out of the State, their benefits are going to shrink as California has a melt down, I hear it pretty good living in the Southern states, you get more for your section 8 vouchers...
sadass

San Francisco, CA

#15 Apr 15, 2009
It looks like all the jobs for Vallejaon as all in San Francisicks why Vallejo going to build a monstrous garage parkings for ferry boat customers.
Anonymous

Fairfield, CA

#16 Apr 15, 2009
Isn't it obvious... the ferry system is there to cater to only one audience: San Fancisco. The center of the Bay Area universe is San Francisco. Vallejoans work in San Francisco. Vallejoans take the ferry to San Francisco. WETA is headquartered in San Francisco. This State takeover of the ferry was never about helping Vallejo. It's all about making sure San Francisco remains the center of the Bay Area universe (even though San Jose is the biggest most populous Bay Area city and the epicenter of the Silcon Valley and where all the Bay Area millionaires live).
Valleyjoe

Fresno, CA

#17 Apr 15, 2009
waz up wid dat wrote:
Didnt you all hear? They are going to turn 201 Maine into Senior Housing, it will help place all the seniors that need housing that lived at the Casa de Vallejo. Yep thats right, we are going to give preference to all the seniors on the waiting list for housing. Folks at 201 Maine should get prepared to move to a cheaper area, like out of the State, their benefits are going to shrink as California has a melt down, I hear it pretty good living in the Southern states, you get more for your section 8 vouchers...
Are you for real? That would be the best thing that could happen to that cesspool of humanity other than tearing it down.
Remember When

Vallejo, CA

#18 Apr 16, 2009
Don't is always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...
Ooooo, la la la la.
A Voice of Reason

United States

#19 Apr 27, 2009
Funny...what rock have all of you been living under since, hmmm, like 2001?

The garage is the first phase of a long-planned project that is connected to the new Transit Center (moving forward in part thanks to federal funds that nearly went away) as part of the REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT for the Vallejo waterfront. And, oh yes, it will have a few more parking spaces than already exist as well as room for retail and residential components...

My goodness...so many are ready to cry foul but have such incredibly short term memories about the whole point of these important projects. I guess you really don't want to improve Vallejo and attract business, or residents or shoppers and, well, generate much needed revenue for our City?

Quit thinking that U.S. Government (aka the US Navy who was more than happy to turn over Mare Island)to come racing back to Vallejo to save us.

It's about time we spiffed up our town and joined the 21st century instead of living in the "good 'ole days"...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mare Island tries again to become national park 1 hr Anonymous 1
Vallejo youth wins county spelling bee 1 hr Anonymous 1
Two arrested following theft of Vallejo jewelry... 2 hr Anonymous 1
Solano College Student Trustee alleges intimida... 2 hr Anonymous 1
Possible homeless man rescued after fall onto V... 2 hr Jimbo 3
Emails demand Vallejo police to apologize, late... 2 hr Anonymous 1
Squatters arrested at Vallejo residence 2 hr Anonymous 1
Vallejo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web