New program to give helping hand to V...

New program to give helping hand to Vallejo's military personnel

Posted in the Vallejo Forum

Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#1 Feb 17, 2012
New program designed to give a helping hand to Vallejo's military personnel and their families
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_19986084

Fighting Back Partnership, long known for its social service and anti-drug bent in the Vallejo community, has turned over a new leaf.

The organization took on a new staff member this week, with the goal of offering a "helping hand" to Vallejo's military personnel and their families.

Active, reserve, national guard, veteran -- all are included under the umbrella of the new VetCorps program. The program is a subdivision of the national AmeriCorps and was created in conjunction with the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA), the Corporation for National and Community Service and the National Guard Bureau.

"I don't know of any other nonprofit that's had a military program like this," said Tony Pearsall, executive director of Fighting Back.

In November,$1.5 million was approved for up to 100 VetCorps members in 28 states to partner with local community organizations.

VetCorps, working through Fighting Back, hopes to provide veterans and military families referrals to local prevention, treatment, outreach and other services, job and community service opportunities.

Vallejo's new program coincides with the winding down of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, of which an estimated nearly two million Americans have served, according to CADCA statistics.

Pearsall recently returned from a four-day training session in Maryland with Cpl. Daniel Alander, who has been hired to coordinate Vallejo's program. Pearsall said Vallejo is California's first's VetCorps program.

"We have veterans already who are going to need help," Pearsall said of the partnership, in which Fighting Back subsidizes half the cost.

Alander, of Santa Rosa, is an Army Reservist with the 801st Engineers unit based on Mare Island. He said he was tapped to join the VetCorps program by his superior because he has always "taken care of people."

"That's what's great about this, you're taking care basically of your extended family," Alander said. "It's been a while since I've been really excited about something (like this)."

"Basically, my first step is getting the name out there, telling people what VetCorps is, and that it's here to help," Alander added.
Jim in SF

Vallejo, CA

#2 Feb 17, 2012
Boy, this is great news. The Military veteran community could be an even bigger help for Vallejo than they are now. Great move Fighting Back, can we see more resources being shifted to the Veterans going forward? Please?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is right 7 min Anonymous 2
Poll Legalize,tax Cockfighting in Vallejo Agri zonings (May '13) 10 min EQUAL RIGHTS 125
California Electricity Rates May Rise For Some 1 hr Wanglow 3
Vallejo homeless man, who died alone, honored b... 1 hr Yup Yup 3
Election Watch: Know The 2016 Candidates 1 hr democrats lie 2
California Regulators Set To Overhaul Home Elec... 8 hr Anonymous 1
News Vallejo and Benicia locals celebrate same-sex m... 9 hr Anonymous 58
More from around the web

Vallejo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Vallejo Mortgages