City Manager Keen remains mum on Poli...

City Manager Keen remains mum on Police hiring

Posted in the Vallejo Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Samuel Kurshan

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 22, 2013
When a member of the audience who has shown enough interest in City affairs attends a City Council meeting, fills out a public speaker card and properly addresses a member of the City's staff, especially the City Manager, they are entitled to an answer. Period. No debate about it.

When the City Manager selectively chooses which members of the public he answers to and which he doesn't, that sends the wrong message to the public. That message is that he is politically driven and he truly is not representing the interests of all of the Citizens, just a select group he is politically aligned with.

At tonight's (1/22/13) Vallejo City Council meeting, City Manager Dan Keen chose to react the same way to the question I posed to him tonight concerning the police recruiting process as he did to that question when I posed it to him two weeks ago. To make no response at all, even though he is legally permitted to respond at the end of the meeting, during the "City Manager's Report" portion of the meeting's agenda.

After the meeting ended I spoke to Mr. Keen and said this is the second meeting in a row where I have asked you a question about the police recruiting process and you have chosen to remain silent even though you could have responded. I went further telling him he responded to VIB a political web site which has a reputation for being anti police and that this sends the wrong message to the public who are waiting for you to comment and need the reassurance from your comments concerning their public safety in Vallejo. The only response Mr. Keen gave me was "we don't seem to be communicating." My response was "you seem to be communicating just fine with VIB concerning this issue. You write your letter to Garman, I'll write mine to the Times Herald.
Captain

Dublin, CA

#2 Jan 23, 2013
Samuel Kurshan wrote:
When a member of the audience who has shown enough interest in City affairs attends a City Council meeting, fills out a public speaker card and properly addresses a member of the City's staff, especially the City Manager, they are entitled to an answer. Period. No debate about it.
When the City Manager selectively chooses which members of the public he answers to and which he doesn't, that sends the wrong message to the public. That message is that he is politically driven and he truly is not representing the interests of all of the Citizens, just a select group he is politically aligned with.
At tonight's (1/22/13) Vallejo City Council meeting, City Manager Dan Keen chose to react the same way to the question I posed to him tonight concerning the police recruiting process as he did to that question when I posed it to him two weeks ago. To make no response at all, even though he is legally permitted to respond at the end of the meeting, during the "City Manager's Report" portion of the meeting's agenda.
After the meeting ended I spoke to Mr. Keen and said this is the second meeting in a row where I have asked you a question about the police recruiting process and you have chosen to remain silent even though you could have responded. I went further telling him he responded to VIB a political web site which has a reputation for being anti police and that this sends the wrong message to the public who are waiting for you to comment and need the reassurance from your comments concerning their public safety in Vallejo. The only response Mr. Keen gave me was "we don't seem to be communicating." My response was "you seem to be communicating just fine with VIB concerning this issue. You write your letter to Garman, I'll write mine to the Times Herald.
"When a member of the audience...properly addresses a member of the City's staff, especially the City Manager, they are entitled to an answer."

Sam, you didn't even come close to (A) asking a question (it was a rude statement not supported by anything) or doing it properly. The only thing you really do well is .... give me a minute ... rewriting your own twisted version of facts. You've received the level of repect you've earned. If you want someone to blame because you feel disrespected - look in the mirror.
Craptain

Brisbane, CA

#3 Jan 23, 2013
Oh I suppose Kurshan has to bow down to the grand and exalted City Manager.

Kiss my M.F. a s s you pompous has been.
We Are All Sam

Vallejo, CA

#4 Jan 23, 2013
The City Manager and Gomes were both schooled last night.
seen it

Vallejo, CA

#6 Jan 23, 2013
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
"When a member of the audience...properly addresses a member of the City's staff, especially the City Manager, they are entitled to an answer."
Sam, you didn't even come close to (A) asking a question (it was a rude statement not supported by anything) or doing it properly. The only thing you really do well is .... give me a minute ... rewriting your own twisted version of facts. You've received the level of repect you've earned. If you want someone to blame because you feel disrespected - look in the mirror.
the only rudeness was gomes and sampayan carrying on another conversation while sam was speaking. they do this frequently, regardless of who has the floor. sam was right to call her on it.
Lucky Dan

Vallejo, CA

#7 Jan 23, 2013
If not for the Times-Herald article on police restaffing, most of the public would STILL be in the dark about it. City Manager Keen should be fired for incompetence if he "simply" did not have the status of success or failure on the 5 officer recruitment at the meeting two weeks ago, there is no excuse for that in my book. And then he did not say a freaking word, AGAIN, last night at City Managers Report.
He is lucky, extremely, that he enjoys the protection of Gomes and 3 other votes to tolerate him no matter how incompetent he is. What else is he not on top of? Maybe I should write to him and ask?
Crybabys

Vallejo, CA

#8 Jan 23, 2013
Lucky Dan wrote:
If not for the Times-Herald article on police restaffing, most of the public would STILL be in the dark about it. City Manager Keen should be fired for incompetence if he "simply" did not have the status of success or failure on the 5 officer recruitment at the meeting two weeks ago, there is no excuse for that in my book. And then he did not say a freaking word, AGAIN, last night at City Managers Report.
He is lucky, extremely, that he enjoys the protection of Gomes and 3 other votes to tolerate him no matter how incompetent he is. What else is he not on top of? Maybe I should write to him and ask?
WHINE WHINE WHINE
You and Sam are arrogant pompous jackasses. The information is available. You could have written the CM or spoken to him.

Sam likes to vent hate and was more about making a statement rather than getting information. Go back to your slimey hole and leave us alone.
The TwentyFourSeven Zoo

Vallejo, CA

#9 Jan 23, 2013
Crybabys wrote:
<quoted text>
WHINE WHINE WHINE
You and Sam are arrogant pompous jackasses. The information is available. You could have written the CM or spoken to him.
Sam likes to vent hate and was more about making a statement rather than getting information. Go back to your slimey hole and leave us alone.
I encourage him to do more. The truth gets under your skin. The CM could have made the information public a lot sooner. In fact, he should have been on top of the info two weeks ago. Public safety and police are the TOP priority in this city and he did not know WTF was going on in his own house!! He should be unceremoniously fired, but his sweet deal like all the rest will have us paying two city managers at a time, again. These guys are all out of town carpetbaggers, not a ONE of them ever had a Vallejo address, hosing our asses and building their PERS account with our money, and STILL we have nothing but continual infighting and political games. Can't you see that?
Whitey McKrackin

Jackson, CA

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Samuel Kurshan wrote:
The only response Mr. Keen gave me was "we don't seem to be communicating."
Hey Tubby let me help you out here!!!! What Mr Keen was trying to tell you in a polite way is, you're bat crap crazy. Your silly rants are great to make us laugh on here but at the meetings you're nothing more than a time waster around people who are actuly trying to get something done and head home to their family. You sit around all week crafting the perfect 3 minute hate speech, everyone knows this and allow you to spew for 3 minutes and then carry on with real issues and business. The definition of bat crap crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, ya thats you chubby.
Lucky Dan

Vallejo, CA

#11 Jan 23, 2013
Keen only communicates if we ask him, in writing. He is extremely lucky he has the protection of this majority, people are outraged that he is uninformed as to vital issues in the city he runs. Lucky!!
Big Dog

San Francisco, CA

#12 Jan 23, 2013
I'm not outraged. Actually, I feel pretty good.
Save Our City Slate

Vallejo, CA

#13 Jan 23, 2013
Thanks to citizen Kurshan for showing what a dope Keen is and what rude asses Gomes and her sewing circle are. Stay with the women, Bob, you fit right in.
Up the sammie

Vallejo, CA

#14 Jan 23, 2013
Samuel Kurshan wrote:
When a member of the audience who has shown enough interest in City affairs attends a City Council meeting, fills out a public speaker card and properly addresses a member of the City's staff, especially the City Manager, they are entitled to an answer. Period. No debate about it.
When the City Manager selectively chooses which members of the public he answers to and which he doesn't, that sends the wrong message to the public. That message is that he is politically driven and he truly is not representing the interests of all of the Citizens, just a select group he is politically aligned with.
At tonight's (1/22/13) Vallejo City Council meeting, City Manager Dan Keen chose to react the same way to the question I posed to him tonight concerning the police recruiting process as he did to that question when I posed it to him two weeks ago. To make no response at all, even though he is legally permitted to respond at the end of the meeting, during the "City Manager's Report" portion of the meeting's agenda.
After the meeting ended I spoke to Mr. Keen and said this is the second meeting in a row where I have asked you a question about the police recruiting process and you have chosen to remain silent even though you could have responded. I went further telling him he responded to VIB a political web site which has a reputation for being anti police and that this sends the wrong message to the public who are waiting for you to comment and need the reassurance from your comments concerning their public safety in Vallejo. The only response Mr. Keen gave me was "we don't seem to be communicating." My response was "you seem to be communicating just fine with VIB concerning this issue. You write your letter to Garman, I'll write mine to the Times Herald.
(t)urd enragement!
Say What

Vacaville, CA

#16 Jan 23, 2013
Sam hasn't given respect so why should he feel he deserves it?
seen it wrote:
<quoted text>the only rudeness was gomes and sampayan carrying on another conversation while sam was speaking. they do this frequently, regardless of who has the floor. sam was right to call her on it.
Say What

Vacaville, CA

#17 Jan 23, 2013
Actually he didn't. Sam sat in the audience and applauded to the complement that was given to the CM about providing more information than has been done in years. So which is it? I thought you all have said he doesn't know the information and that he doesn't provide it? So why was Sam applauding?
Save Our City Slate wrote:
Thanks to citizen Kurshan for showing what a dope Keen is and what rude asses Gomes and her sewing circle are. Stay with the women, Bob, you fit right in.
Say What

Vacaville, CA

#18 Jan 23, 2013
Actually he is highly regarded by all of the Counciland Mayor. And when you say "people" are you referring to the handful on topix? Because there is no evidence of this outrage you talk about anywhere else. Are you back to using mythical people and numbers like when you talked about the masses that were behind the recall?
Lucky Dan wrote:
Keen only communicates if we ask him, in writing. He is extremely lucky he has the protection of this majority, people are outraged that he is uninformed as to vital issues in the city he runs. Lucky!!
Lucky Dan

Vallejo, CA

#19 Jan 23, 2013
Say What wrote:
Actually he is highly regarded by all of the Counciland Mayor. And when you say "people" are you referring to the handful on topix? Because there is no evidence of this outrage you talk about anywhere else. Are you back to using mythical people and numbers like when you talked about the masses that were behind the recall?
<quoted text>
And you know this how? There is no evidence that Keen is highly regarded by anyone, just your assertion.
seen it

Vallejo, CA

#20 Jan 23, 2013
Say What wrote:
Sam hasn't given respect so why should he feel he deserves it?
<quoted text>
council members should not be gabbing at any time when another speaker has the floor. do you disagree?
Save Our City Slate

Vallejo, CA

#21 Jan 23, 2013
Say What wrote:
Actually he didn't. Sam sat in the audience and applauded to the complement that was given to the CM about providing more information than has been done in years. So which is it? I thought you all have said he doesn't know the information and that he doesn't provide it? So why was Sam applauding?
<quoted text>
He didn't, and told Sam so in an email. He should have, and told us all. Try to keep up.
Say What

Vacaville, CA

#22 Jan 23, 2013
Maybe it's because I listen to more than than the part when sam speaks? Every single one of the council members and Mayor has praised Dan and told them how much they appreciate his work. And they have done so on an ongoing basis.
Lucky Dan wrote:
<quoted text>And you know this how? There is no evidence that Keen is highly regarded by anyone, just your assertion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sampayan on Dredging (Aug '17) 41 min Mike 82
News Another one bites the dust a " Vallejo Chief Bu... 3 hr Jumping4Joy 5
News Vallejo City Council approves agreement with Ni... 7 hr Wonk 15
anti orcem billboard is a joke 8 hr Wonk 7
Vallejo’s city attorney to receive salary increase 12 hr GEE 6
Ecocem explosion dans une citerne Tue Pepe Le-Boom 6
Vallejo City Council to review MOU with Costco ... Tue jobs no welfare yes 2

Vallejo Jobs

Personal Finance

Vallejo Mortgages