California Supreme Court makes it eas...

California Supreme Court makes it easier to collect personal data

Posted in the Vallejo Forum

Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#2 Feb 5, 2013
California Supreme Court makes it easier for Apple, online businesses to collect personal data
http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news...

Online merchants such as Apple (AAPL) and Ticketmaster can require consumers to furnish personal information to make credit-card purchases, a divided California Supreme Court ruled Monday, delivering a blow to consumer advocates worried about privacy in cyberspace.

In the 4-3 decision, the Supreme Court found that a two-decade-old California consumer protection law does not apply to the multibillion-dollar online commerce world, siding with Apple and other e-tailers in a legal battle over how much personal information buyers must give up in credit card transactions.

Apple argued that the law -- the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act -- applies only to brick-and-mortar businesses, and the Supreme Court agreed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solano group set to honor Champions for Childre... 5 min Anonymous 1
Longtime Solano County Supervisor Barbara Kondy... 6 min Anonymous 1
News Vallejo man removed from meeting after homophob... 3 hr Anonymous 80
Vallejo Bookstore moving to larger space, right... 7 hr Dave 5
Thompson introduces bill to transfer the Mare I... 14 hr GEE 4
Garbage Dump! Mon the digger 35
California Lawmakers Again Push to Unseal Polic... Apr 23 GEE 4

Vallejo Jobs

Personal Finance

Vallejo Mortgages