Police department leadership role at ...

Police department leadership role at crossroads in Vallejo

There are 11 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Nov 13, 2012, titled Police department leadership role at crossroads in Vallejo. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

As the Vallejo City Council prepares to consider increasing the compensation package for a future permanent police chief, the city manager has acknowledged that an outside search to fill that role has yet to begin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

Wrong Again

Vacaville, CA

#1 Nov 13, 2012
nice to see keen takig care of his boy with extra compensation, instead of incentives, so his boy has boost his pers income for his last highest year with clowncils approval. but the same clowcil wants to completely slash pay/benefits of the lower ranks, the worker bees, the back bone of the department. you can't be successful when you want it both ways.

keen said it, to get the best, you have to pay the best, otherwise you end up with those who aren't qualified.
Dickie the enraged -t-urd

Concord, CA

#3 Nov 13, 2012
Wrong Again wrote:
nice to see keen takig care of his boy with extra compensation, instead of incentives, so his boy has boost his pers income for his last highest year with clowncils approval. but the same clowcil wants to completely slash pay/benefits of the lower ranks, the worker bees, the back bone of the department. you can't be successful when you want it both ways.
keen said it, to get the best, you have to pay the best, otherwise you end up with those who aren't qualified.
So the niny's that are responsible for almost 1/3 of this years homicides are the best?

LOL!

(t)urd enragement!
Sam the Woman Choker

South San Francisco, CA

#5 Nov 13, 2012
Wise Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they are. And the other 2/3 were murders. The message to be heeded is "Comply or Die". Got it? Seems to be working.
Hey Sam- can you comply with a restraining order? That's why you had to leave new york for threatening someone who had a RO against you

Concord, CA

#6 Nov 13, 2012
Wise Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they are. And the other 2/3 were murders. The message to be heeded is "Comply or Die". Got it? Seems to be working.
You feed the "best" line to all the poor folks at the China Wok>
LOL!

(t)urd enragement!
Wrong Again

Vacaville, CA

#8 Nov 13, 2012
if you want the best, you gotta pay near the best
TheHammerofTruth

Walnut Creek, CA

#9 Nov 13, 2012
Vallejo did and does pay the best, all they got was Grissle and the 4 million he cost them in lawsuits. If that is the best, the best sucks.
the end is near

Vallejo, CA

#12 Nov 14, 2012
the end is near wrote:
lol, unanimous to jack the pay for the police chief. so here's two pay increases post bankruptcy for top managers on the "pay the best to get the best" plan. and gomes is going to have the audacity to come for the pay/comps for police officers next year?
bioya!
You better retiree while you can. The paycut haircut is coming

Concord, CA

#15 Nov 14, 2012
Im No Expert wrote:
The great irony of declining police staffing is the call for "all of them to leave" a few years ago. It's happening right before your eyes, soon you will have a police force you can afford.
LOL!

(t)urd enragement!
GEE

Lafayette, CA

#17 Nov 14, 2012
What I heard last night and therein lays the rub:

"We can not afford the Best Money Can Buy", and yet "I support" this combining of perks into the base pay of the next permanent Police Chief
.....and all agreed with that!
Car allowance, phone allowance, management incentive, brownie point allowance to get an education on the taxpayer’s dime, etc.
Well, this is really just a matter of moving numbers from one column to another. Really?

Yes, I do understand that we have Captains with tenure that deservedly earn more than the new Chief will. My concern is that the combining of base pay and perks will increase the retirement of the newly hired leader, something far more impacting our future than their stay in Vallejo and serving the public.
The entire salary package and contract would be of interest though, not just the movement and combining….
Who ever entered into a job agreement at that level and not get a company car, and all other accoutrements of the job, etc.
Since the car is included does the individual have an expense account that will reimburse him /her? To me …and I am a simpleton, it appears that we are really giving more than we should!

When we do get a new Chief, should he not already have an education and not acquire a degree and pass the Bar on my dime? Did he receive all this education prior to coming to Vallejo (I most sincerely hope so) and if he did why should I have to continue to pay for it? Is it not that he will have this job because we believe him to be qualified?

If anyone has the guts to even consider Vallejo and apply for this position I would hope he/she does have the background needed already. On the job learners do not need to apply, not in our situation!

If my limited household budget does not add up at the end of the month, should I move an expense I could not afford to begin with yet incurred onto a credit card and then say: Wow, dodged the bullet on this one, I balanced my monthly budget by redistributing my debt into another column??

Do we really believe that austerity programs have been implemented at the City of Vallejo or is it the same old, same old because we are able to and move cost from one column to another? Suppose so!

Concord, CA

#19 Nov 14, 2012
Im No Expert wrote:
<quoted text>They ARE all leaving little by little. You will finally have an affordable police department, so quit your incessant bawling.
LOL!
Tears of laughter!
(t)urd enragement!
Police Chief David Couper

Cazenovia, WI

#21 Nov 15, 2012
If you are serious about selecting a top-quality police leader for your community you need to hear what I have to say about the qualities necessary for a new chief to possess. To find out, follow my blog at http://improvingpolice.wordpress.com .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vallejoa s a steampunka mayor swears in Chamber... 25 min Better Without Bob 17
News Vallejo school board to review budget reductions 39 min odumbo 3
HELP STOP UNJUST Persecutions of TAXPAYERS in A... (Jul '13) 43 min un agenda 21 76
News Up to 4,000 in Napa took part in this yeara s W... 1 hr beanbag 1
Former Vallejo employee sentenced to a year in ... 1 hr Yummy 86
Vallejo school board receives bond survey results 1 hr Boom 12
Vallejo City Hall seeks feedback on weed sales 1 hr Romney 7

Vallejo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vallejo Mortgages