Vallejo: Update: Driver Seen Speeding Past Traffic Before I-80 Crash

Sep 6, 2010 Full story: CBS 5 21

A Vallejo man was seriously injured this morning when he crashed his Saturn on Interstate Highway 80.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Willneverunderst andwhy

Benicia, CA

#1 Sep 7, 2010
RIP Richard Steinberg. My prayers are with your family and friends. You will be missed but never forgotten.
Diane DiCesare

Randolph, MA

#2 Sep 7, 2010
RIP cousin you were loved and will be missed from all of your family on the east coast!
Diane DiCesare

Randolph, MA

#3 Sep 7, 2010
RIP cousin. You were loved and will be missed from your family on the east coast!
Whats the problem

Vallejo, CA

#4 Sep 7, 2010
At least nobody else was killed because of his reckless behavior. Driving like he is in Nascar going 90 mph in traffic.
William

San Jose, CA

#5 Sep 8, 2010
Whats the problem wrote:
At least nobody else was killed because of his reckless behavior. Driving like he is in Nascar going 90 mph in traffic.
"Remember what you write ".. Assuming Your still driving . Your not perfect Thank The lord yes. No one else was injured. No matter what happened he was a great person
Dina DiCesare Earl

North Weymouth, MA

#6 Sep 8, 2010
Rest in peace Richard, we will miss you.

East Coast Cousin
Dina DiCesare Earl

North Weymouth, MA

#7 Sep 8, 2010
Whats the problem wrote:
Stupid people like you should not be allowed to post comments. You should remember there is a family in morning
Jennifer

United States

#8 Sep 8, 2010
Richard I didnt know you before but we were there with you in your last moments. And my dad stayed with you till your last breath was taken, he wouldn't let you die alone. We dont know you but still morn your death. Rip mr. steinberg, god bless your wife and family my payers are with all of them.
Fred

Vallejo, CA

#9 Sep 8, 2010
Dina DiCesare Earl wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid people like you should not be allowed to post comments. You should remember there is a family in morning
I see, being in "morning" means you lose your grasp of reality, not to mention your ability to be honest?

Face it, the guy was driving recklessly. I'm sorry his luck ran out and truly, I am sorry for your loss. But if anybody learns from Richard's story....and maybe next time they start driving too fast out there...maybe they remember him...and slow down...lives could be saved. We all have an effect in the world. Like I said, maybe the ripples spreading out from his tragic screwup will make a world of difference for some other soul in a way he could never have dreamed of.

So stop trying to ignore the truth. It's important.
John

San Rafael, CA

#10 Sep 9, 2010
Jennifer, I am incredibly thankful for you and your father for staying with him. My friends and I were one of the first people to drive by the scene and we were shocked to see that he was sitting alone in his car as he was dying. I've been feeling such heavy regret since then for not having gone back to sit with him and hold his hand while he died since nobody else was. I'm relieved to know that you were courageous enough to do so. Thank you for this selfless act. My sincere condolences to his surviving friends and family.
a friend

United States

#11 Sep 12, 2010
Good cop
Great guy
A wonderful friend..
We'll miss you sir..RIP.
Betty

Burlingame, CA

#12 Sep 12, 2010
Richard,

You were taken from this earth far too soon. Peace Gods love and grace be with you.
I will remember you forever in my heart.

To Lisa, Bruce and Lauren
May God comfort and bless you, always.

Concerned

Oakland, CA

#13 Sep 13, 2010
Fred wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, being in "morning" means you lose your grasp of reality, not to mention your ability to be honest?
Face it, the guy was driving recklessly. I'm sorry his luck ran out and truly, I am sorry for your loss. But if anybody learns from Richard's story....and maybe next time they start driving too fast out there...maybe they remember him...and slow down...lives could be saved. We all have an effect in the world. Like I said, maybe the ripples spreading out from his tragic screwup will make a world of difference for some other soul in a way he could never have dreamed of.
So stop trying to ignore the truth. It's important.
It's so easy to think we know the truth, and perhaps this somehow gives us comfort. In Germany cars regularly commute every day at over 140MPH, and they don't get into accidents any more than we do. I don't know Richard, but I love him dearly. I don't know the detailed specifics of what happened that day, but even if I did, I certainly wouldn't judge him or the circumstances of his death.

(Fred, this comment is less pointedly directed at you, and more so in general to all those commenting that he, in some way, "brought it on himself." I comment on your post because you seem to be the most logical in your stance, and may actually receive my plea to open your heart and perspective!)
Whats the problem

Vallejo, CA

#14 Sep 14, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
It's so easy to think we know the truth, and perhaps this somehow gives us comfort. In Germany cars regularly commute every day at over 140MPH, and they don't get into accidents any more than we do. I don't know Richard, but I love him dearly. I don't know the detailed specifics of what happened that day, but even if I did, I certainly wouldn't judge him or the circumstances of his death.
(Fred, this comment is less pointedly directed at you, and more so in general to all those commenting that he, in some way, "brought it on himself." I comment on your post because you seem to be the most logical in your stance, and may actually receive my plea to open your heart and perspective!)
I reckon you are speaking about me when you say in general, so I will respond. I am not trying to tarnish his life or legacy nor have I judged him. First of all, we are not in Germany so your comparison is null and void over here. I simply stated that he was driving reckless and I'm glad nobody else was killed. I apologize to the family or friends who believe I have done so.

However in response, normally people keep up with the flow of traffic, even those who are "speeding" in the fast lane doing 70 or 75mph. But rarely do I see people going above 80mph unless it's an isolated incident with one maybe two cars in the morning. And the paper reported he was doing 90mph in the morning commute. So unless their were a bunch of cars keeping with the flow of traffic doing 90mph and it wasnn't reported as such by witnesses then it was reckless. He wasn't in the fast lane where you expect fast drivers but in the slow lane where traffic is "slow" and cars are merging on. I won't say anymore but won't keep being bashed for my opinion. But I am glad that no one else was hurt because of this accident.

I do send my condolences to the family.
Jennifer

United States

#15 Sep 15, 2010
Its not that important to bash on one another this is simply a place for people to have an opinion as well as giving there condolences. Like I said before I was there to set the scene for you so you understand. There was a gap in between the first group of cars and the group of cars that was behind out truck. Richard was diving on the shoulder on the right side like we reported about 90 he hit the guard rail then for into the center divide and rolled 4 times before landing. We were able to slow down and park behind him so he wouldn't get hit from other cars. My step dad jumped out of the car to clear the road of the pieces that fell off his car so traffic could continue meanwhile I was on the phone with dispatch. Richard was talking to us and was upset about his morning. Richard passed shortly from his injuries. It was unfortunate that we could not help him more but unfortunately it was out of our hands. If you are his family reading this my family was all there since we were on our way to the sf zoo. he was surrounded by good people who think about him and say daily prayers for him and the family.
Carolyn

Sebastian, FL

#16 Sep 15, 2010
Whats the problem wrote:
<quoted text>
I reckon you are speaking about me when you say in general, so I will respond. I am not trying to tarnish his life or legacy nor have I judged him. First of all, we are not in Germany so your comparison is null and void over here. I simply stated that he was driving reckless and I'm glad nobody else was killed. I apologize to the family or friends who believe I have done so.
However in response, normally people keep up with the flow of traffic, even those who are "speeding" in the fast lane doing 70 or 75mph. But rarely do I see people going above 80mph unless it's an isolated incident with one maybe two cars in the morning. And the paper reported he was doing 90mph in the morning commute. So unless their were a bunch of cars keeping with the flow of traffic doing 90mph and it wasnn't reported as such by witnesses then it was reckless. He wasn't in the fast lane where you expect fast drivers but in the slow lane where traffic is "slow" and cars are merging on. I won't say anymore but won't keep being bashed for my opinion. But I am glad that no one else was hurt because of this accident.
I do send my condolences to the family.
Fred, bottom line, you just need to shut up.
suicide watch

United States

#17 Sep 15, 2010
To all of you who think this was a accident it was not. I was standing next to him while he was telling me "lost my wife im just going to end it, stay back you cant stop me... Stay back or I will cut you" as he was cutting his throat. I stayed right there with him till he passed away from "his self inflected injuries". He has forever changed my life and my families life. If you dont like that I told you the truth to bad it needed to be said. Your lucky I didnt get into graphics.
confused and upset

Sebastian, FL

#18 Sep 15, 2010
suicide watch wrote:
To all of you who think this was a accident it was not. I was standing next to him while he was telling me "lost my wife im just going to end it, stay back you cant stop me... Stay back or I will cut you" as he was cutting his throat. I stayed right there with him till he passed away from "his self inflected injuries". He has forever changed my life and my families life. If you dont like that I told you the truth to bad it needed to be said. Your lucky I didnt get into graphics.
What are you talking about? Have you lost your mind, and how cna you be so cold and heartless. Richard died in a horrific car accident. I think you need to clarify what you are talking about, it sounds to me like you may have your "tragedies" confused.
Lisa Livermore

Sebastian, FL

#19 Sep 15, 2010
I think this site has gotten out of control. If everyone had the humanity that Jennifer and her father have shown, the world would be a better place. Thank you both for what you did for Richard, I cry everytime I think that he at least was not alone. Jennifer you wrote so beautifully and with concern about what you and your father not only witnessed, but how you were with him. I knew Richard years ago, and although so much time has passed, his death has shocked and saddened me more than I can say. Jennifer you and your father are what we all should strive to be. Wonderful people who acted with kindness and compassion, in the most saddest moment of our lives. Thank you both. Too Richs sister, brother in-law and niece, my hearfelt sympathy to all of you.
Richard, you will be missed.
unknown

United States

#20 Sep 16, 2010
911 calls are public records I suggest if you dont believe this person figure out how to get ahold of those records there were 2 calls made from jennifer who was indeed there and she made both calls. She is just keeping her sweet mouth shut.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Again Kurshan Threatens to Pee on Police Office... 21 min Troll 32
Solano’s 2014 art scene: A year in review 1 hr sambo 4
Bay Area officer unions decry anti-police rhetoric 2 hr vibbite 14
Unused former Mare Island night spot burned to ... 3 hr sam is a stupid f... 19
Vallejo City Council proclaims first week in Oc... 3 hr A Thought 4
Will Kurshan Bring His Arrest Record to Police ... 3 hr Kurshan Sexual Ps... 48
California AG’s office warns consumers about mo... 21 hr Anonymous 1

Vallejo News Video

Vallejo Dating
Find my Match