Changes in Vallejo police department up for discussion
Posted in the Vallejo Forum
#1 Dec 11, 2012
Changes in Vallejo police department up for discussion
After nearly six months reworking, molding and analyzing the Vallejo Police Department, Interim Chief Joseph Kreins has pulled together a summary of what he has seen. His report will be up for discussion at tonight's Vallejo City Council meeting.
In his report to the City Council, Kreins described his overview as a baseline study "we believe the City Council and the public will find useful as we move forward in working toward enhancing police services in our community," Kreins wrote.
Though Kreins' time is set to expire with the city at about the end of the month, due to state pension restrictions on retirees, City Manager Dan Keen is considering naming him full-time to the high profile job.
Kreins' report accompanies a state Peace Officers Standards and Training office analysis. That concludes that the department is facing a "very high" number of understaffed hours in a week -- 84 out of 168.
Or, as Kreins put it, "The Vallejo Police Department's patrol staffing is grossly understaffed."
Kreins also provided a list of changes he has instituted since arriving in July, and those still on the way.
* Several promotions, division reorganizations
* Retirement of two officers, two corporals and two lieutenants
* Resignations of two police clerks and one cadet
* Hired two records clerks, one officer and one annuitant in the property/evidence area
* Moved citizen complaint forms to police lobby and city manager's office, translated into Spanish, and made easier to find on city website
* Assigned a community liaison to work with public, especially family members impacted by an officer-involved incident
* Launched a new "use of force" policy to report and track how officers use force on the public, and how it uses force with officers
* Issued 70 VIEWVU cameras to all field staff. The small cameras can be worn on an officer's uniform or used inside a vehicle
* Passed the department's first Property Unit audit with "meets standards overall."
Changes -- upcoming
* Potentially modify the department's weekend shift from three 12-hour shifts to four 10-hour shifts to cover seriously understaffed periods, at P.O.S.T. study's recommendation
* Recruiting for 10 vacant police officer positions, four dispatchers, two clerks and two cadets
* Suspending several special unit involvement next month, including: Solano County Narcotics Enforcement Team (SolNET), High Tech Crimes Unit, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA partnership) and Northern California Computer Crimes Task Force.
* Recommending a target of staffing 125 sworn officers and 27 dispatchers in the next two years. Authorized staffing now is 98 officers and 19 communications center staffing
* Recommends reinventing the Cadet Program and hiring 10 new cadets in the coming year for about $200,000.
#2 Dec 11, 2012
listen carefully tonight to the chief talking about "hoping" lateral officers will respond to recruiting calls. what happened with the last attempt? what is going on with recruitment NOW? and dispatchers? four of them?! ask the hard questions, what is going on with recruiting for police staffing in our town TODAY! HOW MANY responded so far to the recent call for 5 officers?! bring h.r. to the front table or make keen talk about it!
#3 Dec 11, 2012
"The Vallejo Police Department's patrol staffing is grossly understaffed."
All this restaffing in the future is contingent on what happens with the next VPOA contract. What kind of activity have we seen with recruiting efforts up to now? Did anyone apply for the 5 vacancies closing soon?
We need a weekly report from HR regarding response to recruiting. It's clear they don't want to talk about it publicly. So much for the new transparency, open government, restoring trust, blah, blah, blah.
#4 Dec 11, 2012
nobody is banging the drum to work in vallejo due to the threats of clowncil coming after vpoa this summer
#5 Dec 11, 2012
Gomes, Schivley, VIB own this police problem!
#6 Dec 11, 2012
#7 Dec 11, 2012
#8 Dec 11, 2012
soon it will be all vallejo citizen enragement when there are no police
#9 Dec 12, 2012
question asked last night by council member: "how many officers will be retirement eligible in the ocming year?"
following that was some tip-toeing around staffing problems. we MAY hire up to 4 cadets presently at the academy, unless of course they get recruited to another department! but there it was, the word "hopefully" used to describe recruiting of experienced officers. no discussion of HOW MANY qualified officers are presently on the RESISTER OF ELIGIBLES for police officer. we advertised "open continuous" lateral officer for over two years, then stopped, opened up a recruitment for 5 officers closing soon, and re-advertised for laterals, "open continuous". to this day, we do not know the status of recruitment efforts for police officers. our lives will be at greater risk for crime as more officers leave and none of these rats will tell us how bad it is, nor will ANY council member ASK about how shallow the pool of applicants is, or if ANY lateral officers on available for hire now.
we are not being told the truth about the level of danger we will be facing as police leave and the criminal community grows.
good luck to us all!
#10 Dec 12, 2012
there is 1 lateral applicant. 1.
2 cadets in the academy and former cadet just gaduated the police academy. there still two vacancies out of the 5 new hires.
lateral don't want to chance what the city will do to vpoa come july 1.
Add your comments below
|Group hosting resource fair in Vallejo on Saturday||1 hr||christian munk||10|
|New coffee house franchise checking out Vallejo||1 hr||dumbacre taxpayert||6|
|Vallejo trustees narrow search for new superint...||13 hr||mom of two||4|
|Trump In SS Drag||18 hr||Julius king of Ke...||4|
|Charlottesville Racist Leader Was Former Occupy...||21 hr||Cavalryman||3|
|Google protest Saturday just the start as far r...||21 hr||but wait there s ...||4|
|Ted Lieu Endorses Long Shot John Chiang for Cal...||21 hr||oh he went there||2|
Find what you want!
Search Vallejo Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC