VCUSD Administrator Double Dipping

Posted in the Vallejo Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Blue and Gray

Vallejo, CA

#1 Apr 30, 2009
Asst. Superintendent, Mel Jordan, who is in charge of fiscal matters for Vallejo City Unified City School District recently created another new, unadvertised ADMINISTRATIVE POSTION of Chief of Security. The person hired for this position was Roy Smalley.

Mel Jordan was overheard saying to Mr. Smally that his obtaining this position was "in the bag" and would come with a guaranteed $100,000 salary. You can read of Mel Jordan singing Mr. Smally's praises in school board meeting minutes from back in 2007, calling Mr. Smalley one of Vallejo's "unsung heroes":

http://tinyurl.com/ctnt73

Mr. Smalley also runs an assisted care center. Today, while on the district's dime, Chief of Security Roy Smally was seen transporting clients from his assisted living center in his own van. Roy Smally, VCUSD's Chief of Security is running to scams simultaneously.

If you go to this website:
http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_0q21r
you will see the Roy Smally's company is already earning close to half a million dollars a year.

This man is double-dipping at the expense of taxpayers, students, and educators.
weak kneed board member

Fairfield, CA

#2 Apr 30, 2009
i see no problem here. i am sure ms. bull can splain this. don't worry, it's all good, y'all!
Theater of Ford

Vallejo, CA

#3 Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if Mel Jordan gets a kickback from Smally's business? Amazing how a year and a half ago Jordan was singing the praises of this man as one of Vallejo's unsung heroes. Something about all of this isn't copasetic.
You Can Call Me Zimmy

Vallejo, CA

#4 Apr 30, 2009
Big politicians telling lies
Restaurant kitchens, all full of flies
Don't make a bit of difference
DonĎt see why it should
But itís all right
Cosí itís all good,

People in the country, people on the land
Some of Ďem so sick, they can hardly stand
Everybody would move away, if they could
Itís hard to believe, but itís all good
cbj

Vallejo, CA

#5 Apr 30, 2009
I thought this did not happen and that the hired more campus supervisors.--also during spring break they advertised for one week------one payroll person and one budget analyst---i thought their was a hiring freeze????

What is going on______
Done Deal

Vallejo, CA

#6 Apr 30, 2009
cbj wrote:
I thought this did not happen and that the hired more campus supervisors.--also during spring break they advertised for one week------one payroll person and one budget analyst---i thought their was a hiring freeze????
What is going on______
Smally's position was never advertised. Smally was working as a SARB person, someone who checks on why students aren't attending school. There is nothing in his background to suggest that he was even qualified for this position. It's odd how Mel Jordan sings Smally's praises at a 2007 school board meeting as being one of Vallejo's "unsung heroes" to Vallejo's children. People who overheard Jordan speaking on the telephone to Smally said that it was a "done deal" and Jordan went on to ensure that Smally would make a six digit salary. This conversation took place weeks before the announcement of plans to do away with VPD's presence and weeks before the hiring of additional campus supervisors. However, instead of overseeing the additional campus supervisors during the school day, Smally is seen transporting his clients in his business van for his other business. This is just wrong. It's time that the TH starts running stories looking into this.
Make My Day

Vallejo, CA

#7 Apr 30, 2009
cbj wrote:
What is going on______
Unfortunately there won't be a thing that the board who most likely approved this position and this person will be able to do about all of this. Jason Hodge is suing the district. The former principal at Bethel successfully sued the district. There is another longtime employee who is suing the district on charges against Dr. Bull of racism, and this person is not one who would make unwarranted or unfounded allegations. It's well known that Dr. Bull totes her Bible around with her and attends prayer breakfasts. I wonder how her evangelical ways settle with people who differ from her. With all these lawsuits that go back to hostile work environments and/or racism, there is no way that the district will even begin to question Mel Jordan or Roy Smally. Yes, they should be questioned and both should be terminated. But Dr. Bull has already dug her own grave of allowing this to ever happen by past, legitimate allegations of racism and discrimination. No doubt both Mel Jordan and Roy Smally see this as being able to run free in a land where they are practically untouchable. Meanwhile class sizes rise and teachers and support staff lose their jobs. Have a great day, Dr. Bull and Dr. Damelio.
VHS

San Mateo, CA

#8 Apr 30, 2009
Make My Day wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately there won't be a thing that the board who most likely approved this position and this person will be able to do about all of this. Jason Hodge is suing the district. The former principal at Bethel successfully sued the district. There is another longtime employee who is suing the district on charges against Dr. Bull of racism, and this person is not one who would make unwarranted or unfounded allegations. It's well known that Dr. Bull totes her Bible around with her and attends prayer breakfasts. I wonder how her evangelical ways settle with people who differ from her. With all these lawsuits that go back to hostile work environments and/or racism, there is no way that the district will even begin to question Mel Jordan or Roy Smally. Yes, they should be questioned and both should be terminated. But Dr. Bull has already dug her own grave of allowing this to ever happen by past, legitimate allegations of racism and discrimination. No doubt both Mel Jordan and Roy Smally see this as being able to run free in a land where they are practically untouchable. Meanwhile class sizes rise and teachers and support staff lose their jobs. Have a great day, Dr. Bull and Dr. Damelio.
This sounds like a back door approach to reparations.
the man is obama now

United States

#9 May 1, 2009
it's black people in the school district taking care of their peeps. where is gladys evans phillips and the 100 million? cronyism and racism, that's what it is pure and simple. and you wonder why the grades are so low and the education system is failing? look at who is in charge, if it is not homosexuals, then it is uneducated minorities that think they are smart just because liberal whites [who use them for their votes] tell them they are and because they are ignorant, they believe it.
in the end it truly is all about keeping the democrats in power.
heard that

Fairfield, CA

#10 May 1, 2009
seems to be wide open ravaging of taxpayer funds throughout vallejo, city, school district, etc.
must not be anything can be done about it.
i thought it was going to change with the last board election but people get in office and their knees buckle.
Harley Harry

Vallejo, CA

#11 May 1, 2009
heard that wrote:
seems to be wide open ravaging of taxpayer funds throughout vallejo, city, school district, etc.
must not be anything can be done about it.
i thought it was going to change with the last board election but people get in office and their knees buckle.
School board members get lazy. And if ever there was a district where they shouldn't be lazy or let down their guard for a minute, then it'd be Vallejo.
They're elected with the hopes of being watchdogs and then wind up sitting on a superintendents lap like a little Pomeranian. There are three seats up for grabs this November. I hope that Vallejoans get wise and oust all three who are up for re-election and that we get some people with backbones into those positions. This never should have been allowed to happen. NEVER! But they just nod their heads and go along with anything that Dr. Bull or Dr. Damelio recommend.
cbj

San Diego, CA

#12 May 2, 2009
Seems like vcusd has a new Good Ole boys group and the new leader is Mel Jordan.

Something is very corruptive down town.

Mel is giving everyone jobs and who is the new guy in transportation who supposedly never drove a bus???

“The Lord has truly blessed me.”

Since: Jul 08

Lafayette, California

#13 May 4, 2009
Yeah, Mel has his favorites that he protects, just like Lisa Grant-Dawson does. There are so many people in positions that they are not qualified for and are making big bucks.

New guy in Transportation is Joe Hatchet; used to be the pesticide guy for the district and then promoted to a supervisor postion for night custodians. Why can't we know how he is qualified for this position? What happened to Judy Carlson, why did she leave her highly paid position?
Harley In Heat

Vallejo, CA

#14 May 4, 2009
parental involvement wrote:
Yeah, Mel has his favorites that he protects, just like Lisa Grant-Dawson does. There are so many people in positions that they are not qualified for and are making big bucks.
New guy in Transportation is Joe Hatchet; used to be the pesticide guy for the district and then promoted to a supervisor postion for night custodians. Why can't we know how he is qualified for this position? What happened to Judy Carlson, why did she leave her highly paid position?
I'm guessing that Judy Carlson left because it's VCUSD, and VCUSD is like a gigantic dysfunctional family, especially at the district office. I'm also guessing that the thought of a mandated 5% pay cut doesn't sound too appealing and she probably left for greener pastures. Don't know for sure, but I know that's what would make me look elsewhere. Plus I don't think there's a living soul down there who can stand working for Dr. Mary Bull. She's running the show pretty much completely now. Dr. Damelio collect his $$$ and offers no advice. I think he wants to see her fall in the worst of ways. Can't say I blame him. Still the dude does collect a pretty large income for part part-time work. It's a shame that a lot of good folks will go down in flames because of his hands off approach.
cbj

Vallejo, CA

#15 May 4, 2009
Mel Jordan and Lisa Grant-Dawson creating the New Good ole boys group???

WOW
Tired of Being Tired

Bethel Island, CA

#16 May 7, 2009
This is so wrong!! When will Vallejoans shout "ENOUGH!"
Junk Bonds

Vallejo, CA

#17 May 7, 2009
this is dismal news. mel jordan is crooked no two ways about it. and it sounds as though this guy smally is every bit as crooked too. mel jordan sings this guy's praises at a 2007 school board meeting when he's a mere citizen and then turns around and gives him an unadvertised hundred thousand dollar a year job? i wonder if mel jordan is getting a kick back from smally's assisted living center. and to rub salt in the wound this guy smally person is doing his assisted day care job when he's supposed to be on the job overseeing security? this is corruption. these are dollars that could be put to better use. vallejo has given over 200 pink slips to custodians, classified staff and teachers and has increased the number of student's in my child's classroom for the coming school year. this mel jordan doesn't seem to give a rat's behind about any of this. crooked mel jordan it's time for him to go. and to further rub salt in the wound jason hodge has filed a lawsuit against the district? this guy who makes the easiest money that can be made by putting a polly anna spin on the worst of things? the guy who can make a student beating seem like it's just a bunch of boys having fun? mel jordan and jason hodge are ruining this district. they'll feed like leeches off of what little money there is and they couldn't care about what happens to the children and families who depend on vallejo schools. damelio and bull have created frankenstein monsters. i surely do hope that one of these days the public decides to turn of american idol for a night and demand that the whole bunch of them: damelio, bull, jordan, smally, glaze, villanuava, wilson, raymond santa claus bear guy and ace all be given their walking papers. what they allow to happen is inexcusable.
Vallejo Tax Payers

Redwood City, CA

#18 May 7, 2009
What? Jason Hodge is suing the district? where's the source?
Junk Bonds

Vallejo, CA

#19 May 8, 2009
Vallejo Tax Payers wrote:
What? Jason Hodge is suing the district? where's the source?
It's pretty well known and is a hot topic down at the district office. The grounds on which he's suing is "hostile work environment." This isn't the first time that reason, along with allegations of racism, have been used. Dr. Bull must be a real gem to work for because some of the people who have brought forth similar complaints and lawsuits are the sort of employees who'd normally never stir up the pot. Not saying that Jason Hodge would fit into that category. Hodge seems like an opportunist to put it charitably.
Blood Runs Red

Vallejo, CA

#20 May 8, 2009
No wonder a wall was built at last Wednesday's school board meeting. There really is a wall between those fat cats at the district office and the real world. It is downright sickening to learn of this. Everyone I know who's associated with the district has pretty much verified that Mel Jordan hired a buddy to fill this position. Shame Guy Smally was probably transporting his assisted day care clients around while some student was wielding a gun today. And, sure enough, it's pretty common knowledge that Jason Hodge has a lawsuite against the district. It seems as though everything that Bull and Damelio have touched has tainted the schools of Vallejo!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Channels Idi Amin? 2 hr Secular Times times 1
Ellen Ingraham: Don't add Orcem to the list 5 hr Tofflers_Mom 49
Vallejo man arrested in Benicia on number of cr... 11 hr unicorn dreams 7
Applicant surprised by Vallejo city managerís c... 12 hr i miss higgins 10
Solano jobless rate jumps nearly 1 percent in June 12 hr unicorn dreams 2
Bakke resigns Vallejo CCRC post to focus on chi... 12 hr i miss higgins 3
Californiaís controversial gas tax will soon re... 12 hr moonbeam 2

Vallejo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance