Hogan69

Union City, CA

#1 Sep 25, 2012
As Lucky's Market is scheduled to close Nov.1 and remain closed x 4 months for a FoodMax to move in, seems Vallejo is moving farther and farther from having a more up scale grocery venue. Are we to thank Vallejo City Council for approving Winco and :. prompting this down grade by SaveMart?
GEE

Union City, CA

#3 Sep 25, 2012
SaveMart is moving FoodMax into the Lucky's space because it is a much cheaper store to operate. That is the bottom line, not the prospect of WinCo having a presence in Vallejo nor any other store. A store closure is decided on at the corporate level and the cost of operating it is the deciding factor.

SaveMart had a presence in Glen Cove 20 years ago and I have not been impressed by their practices then, especially since they closed that store and left the residents without a shopping opportunity.… nor am I impressed with any of their stores they have now.

No rebranding, as was done with Lucky's a few times, will be successful unless people,(those that do remember how Lucky's really treated its customers) receive the same quality of product and service the original store offered....and that has not happened since AlphaBeta/Albertson's/SaveMart bought out the original San Leandro based company.
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#4 Sep 25, 2012
GEE wrote:
SaveMart is moving FoodMax into the Lucky's space because it is a much cheaper store to operate. That is the bottom line, not the prospect of WinCo having a presence in Vallejo nor any other store. A store closure is decided on at the corporate level and the cost of operating it is the deciding factor.
SaveMart had a presence in Glen Cove 20 years ago and I have not been impressed by their practices then, especially since they closed that store and left the residents without a shopping opportunity.… nor am I impressed with any of their stores they have now.
No rebranding, as was done with Lucky's a few times, will be successful unless people,(those that do remember how Lucky's really treated its customers) receive the same quality of product and service the original store offered....and that has not happened since AlphaBeta/Albertson's/SaveMart bought out the original San Leandro based company.
GEE - FoodMaxx is 24/7 store, so it makes sense for Walmart Neighborhood to be at the old Mervyn's location. The bigger picture is becoming clearer now.
links

Oakland, CA

#6 Sep 26, 2012
Interesting about Lucky, Gee. I remember shopping there with my Mum in the 70s; everything was cheap and good. There really was a price difference. Recently I tried our Lucky's and it sucked. Mostly inferior products to Raley's, Trader Joe's etc. and no savings really at all.

To those complaining that there's no relatively upscale grocery store in Vallejo, once again:

RALEY'S. It's a good store. Try it. Their organic selection is quite good and they even have a health food section that doesn't suck at all. Plus most of the people who work there are seriously nice and their deli and bakery offerings are REALLY good.
Get a clue

Castro Valley, CA

#7 Sep 26, 2012
Raley's is overpriced and understaffed. Their meat dept. is good, but you have to hunt for value.
Want inexpensive organic produce ? Buy at the Farmers Market of Larry's Produce.
GEE

Union City, CA

#8 Sep 26, 2012
links wrote:
Interesting about Lucky, Gee. I remember shopping there with my Mum in the 70s; everything was cheap and good. There really was a price difference. Recently I tried our Lucky's and it sucked. Mostly inferior products to Raley's, Trader Joe's etc. and no savings really at all.
To those complaining that there's no relatively upscale grocery store in Vallejo, once again:
RALEY'S. It's a good store. Try it. Their organic selection is quite good and they even have a health food section that doesn't suck at all. Plus most of the people who work there are seriously nice and their deli and bakery offerings are REALLY good.
I have no problems with and about Raley's, anywhere. I shop them on occasion in Benicia and Napa and if I were dependent on them as the only source, I could adjust my budget accordingly.

Their products are of good to very good quality and are presented in an appealing way in a clean store with helpful staff. As any intelligent shopper on a budget will tell you, knowing core pricing of goods most likely to be purchased can make a world of difference with any budget. Good food products can be purchased even by those on a serious budget!

Also interacting with staff in a courteous manner and not treating them as mere low level servants may have something to do with feeling comfortable with a store, any business actually.
For instance, get to know your butcher; you may be surprised how candid he will be about some of the Specials,(that really are not special at all)!

Like I mentioned before, Lucky's has not been Lucky's since it was bought by the various corporations under different names.
In its original format they were a great company with their distribution center in San Leandro and because of that employed many of the town’s residents, as did Safeway btw.

So maybe the addition of the FoodMaxx on Redwood and Tuolumne may be a better fit than Lucky's ever was. Like with every new store in town I will try them once! Good luck to them.

Some trivia:
My husband tells me that he remembers the Grand Opening of the San Leandro Lucky's on East 14th and the goodies (a gas mask incl.the hose, but obviously without the tank) every boy received as they went into the store with Mom.(late 1940's)

For those who are a bit longer in the tooth, the "Great Gildersleeve" presided over the opening of the Pelton Center across from the then Lucky's, something my husband recalls vividly. He remembers a portly man with a mustache and having himself personally engaged by the man along with a head pat!!!
Can Of Worms

Vallejo, CA

#9 Sep 26, 2012
I like them all, it's the sales flyer that decides where I shop next. Nothing beats a substantial savings from the ads and club card. Personally my favorites are Luckys, Safeway and Walmart's Food section in that order. Raley's selection is excellent but too far.
Wrong Again

Fairfield, CA

#10 Sep 26, 2012
typical vallejo. complete dumping ground. go from a nice cheaper grocery store to slum. i expect nothing less from vallejo leaders.
inside tip

Palo Alto, CA

#11 Sep 26, 2012
Get a clue wrote:
Raley's is overpriced and understaffed. Their meat dept. is good, but you have to hunt for value.
Want inexpensive organic produce ? Buy at the Farmers Market of Larry's Produce.
You wont have to worry about Raleys much longer. Honest Injun.

U
T
S
Can Of Worms

Vallejo, CA

#12 Sep 26, 2012
99c stores are doing great, just a reflection of what Vallejoans want and support in terms of groceries. Holiday shopping is fast approaching and as usual, Walmart's parking lot will get jampacked with shoppers from Vallejo.

Nice to dream about upscale stores but they tend to empty the pocket in a hurry, still Made in China though.
Sam the Woman Choker

Daly City, CA

#13 Sep 26, 2012
inside tip wrote:
<quoted text>You wont have to worry about Raleys much longer. Honest Injun.
U
T
S
Shut up Sam. Grown ups are having a serious discusssion
Hotown is Yourtown

Oakland, CA

#14 Sep 27, 2012
Get a clue wrote:
I love the Farmer's Market, all of it. Definitely do recommend.

I don't think you have visited raley's in a while tho. The prices have gone down substantially. Lot of good deals and coupons there now. I feel like there are two kinds of businesses, those that raised their prices for the recession and those who lowered theirs. Raleys is definitely in the latter group. I hope they do stick around.

I guess Sam hates raleys cuz he thinks liberals shop there? whatever azzhole.
Get a clue

Castro Valley, CA

#15 Sep 27, 2012
I Shop Raley's once a week, maybe I'n not buying the same foods you are.
What I'm looking at are prices comparable to Whole Foods or Trader Joes, and more often higher.
I'm not interested in coupons that urge or necessitate a return visit, give the customer the discount at checkout.
GEE

Union City, CA

#16 Sep 27, 2012
Get a clue wrote:
I Shop Raley's once a week, maybe I'n not buying the same foods you are.
What I'm looking at are prices comparable to Whole Foods or Trader Joes, and more often higher.
I'm not interested in coupons that urge or necessitate a return visit, give the customer the discount at checkout.
Participate in the Raley's "something extra" program @ raleys.com .
Can Of Worms

Vallejo, CA

#17 Sep 27, 2012
I slide my club cards at Safeway and Luckys, the savings are substantial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vallejo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democratic club to hold regular meeting in Vall... 1 hr V town follies 4
Second fire at old Vallejo school district buil... 1 hr fred 4
Vallejo school district STEAM projects on full ... 7 hr Witness 3
New Vallejo coffee/tea house raises ‘consciousn... 11 hr V town follies 6
Vallejo Public Works project, preventing water ... 15 hr Anonymous 1
City dropped from suit alleging excessive polic... 15 hr Anonymous 1
Worst-Case Scenario for CalPERS and CalSTRS 15 hr Anonymous 1

Vallejo News Video

Vallejo Dating
Find my Match