19 years later, Exxon Valdez case heads to closure

Full story: Chicago Tribune

It has been almost 20 years since the infamous Joseph Hazelwood and the Exxon Valdez loomed large in the nation's consciousness after the allegedly intoxicated captain beached the supertanker on the rocks of ...
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2008
rich

Mesa, AZ

#1 Feb 26, 2008
Exxon, making record profits each quarter and fighting to clean up an oil spill they are responsible for. This is big corporate for you. They should be ban from using the waterways. Being so powerful they can get away with almost anything. Lets set them straight and make them pay for the cleanup and any damages that may be made in the future.
Tough Love

Piscataway, NJ

#2 Feb 26, 2008
Pay up, Exxon. And they should have to pay interest as well.
Chris s

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Feb 27, 2008
as a young teenager my dad brought me to alaska for two weeks. that was one year before the spill, amazing state... i can't believe all that harm they caused and it only cost 2.5 bil., with what they make they could pay that payment every year and still make money. it's not a good idea to let people harm our food and water for pennies....
Greg Williams

Boiling Springs, SC

#5 Feb 27, 2008
I guess I'll boycott Exxon for a while longer. Corporate America has been allowed for too long to run amok with the law by using tactics and high priced lawyers that are not available to thye average human being. I can only hope that the Supreme Court has the spine to stand up to this environmental crime and not bow to the pressures of the oil industry. Oh yea, fat chance of that happening with a Court mostly appointed by pro corporate republican Presidents!
just wondering

Olympia, WA

#6 Feb 27, 2008
The Exxon Valdez can not operate in any US waters. Sounds good right? Sence they have ta compeat in forien ports we the taxpayers subsadise them. Yep, Exxon gets a welfare check. No BS, check into it.
thompst

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Feb 27, 2008
The forgotten 800-pound gorilla in the room is that punitive damages are supposed to PUNISH. Can anyone really believe that Exxon is effectively punished by even the full amount, nothing more than a couple weeks net profit??
To suggest that they would be punished by less is ludicrous. Shame on the Supreme Court for even suggesting this--it's one thing to be business-friendly, it's another to completely sell out the United States legal system to the world's largest corporation.
Cordovan

Cordova, AK

#8 Mar 3, 2008
Cordova, Alaska. I live in a town that nearly 20 years later is still in the grips of a depression caused by "The Spill". The biological effects, the phycological effects and yes, the oil itself are still here. We depend upon Prince William Sound for our food, work, play and cultural heritage. The only way to get big corps such as Exxon to change their actions, is to quit buying their stock, quit buying their products, and for heavens sake, quit voting for big business hugging politicians. We now must depend on Bush's Supreme Court to defend the little guy. Like that's gonna happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Valdez Music Thread (Oct '12) Aug 7 Musikologist 8
Legislature considers $150m to help oil refineries Apr '14 important stories 1
Great Alaska Earthquake shook Alaska 50 years ago Mar '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 4
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill: 25 Years Later, Effects... Mar '14 SpaceBlues 2
Seismic shift: How the Good Friday Earthquake o... Mar '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Alaska Edition January 31, 2014 (Feb '14) Feb '14 is fake snow falling 1
Valdez community meetings 1/30/2014 (Dec '13) Dec '13 CodyEriksen 1
•••
•••
Valdez Dating