Palin claim on eBay plane sale doesn't fly

JUNEAU, Alaska - When Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin sought to illustrate her frugality and flair to delegates at the GOP convention Wednesday, she described how she disposed of a corporate jet acquired by her ... Full Story
Eileen

Crystal Lake, IL

#597 Sep 9, 2008
Tim1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Eileen. One thing that has really dropped my jaw is the reaction to some of the Dem women I know. I watched Governor Palin's speech while at a family party, among about a half dozen women ages 35-50, mostly centrist/left of center Dem women who almost never vote Republican and who just about spit when they say "George W. Bush". Yet, they seemed mesmerized by Governor Palin, and it was clear that they were connecting with her on several levels---most notably the fact that finally, a smart, capable woman has a clear shot at walking in front door of the White House. Much to my shock, each of them praised Governor Palin after the spech and said they were considering voting for McCain/Palin. Wow...
Hi Tim - Just read your post, haven't been online for a while. I am a woman who leans to the right. I have been somewhat indifferent up until now. Sarah Palin is the very person our country needs!
Eileen

Crystal Lake, IL

#598 Sep 9, 2008
my kind of town wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's move on. They are trying to pad her resume.
And what else has Palin done that substaniates her innovative and
fiscally responsible style of governing? She did away with a jet...ok.
Next? How about education, unemployment, health care
and the environment,? Her other rift in the speech was on the largest
private venture pipeline in history is a pipedream. It doesn't exist,
there is no private sector buyer, and the idea was new or hers...
(it's been around 20 years) so, no pipeline..but she
cerainly gave the impression its well underway .
I am sick of the thinking we'd be dazzled by a little spitfire who
goes to Washington and shows the boys a thing or two. Ya, right.
I'd like a bit more than moxy and naive confidence in my Presidetial
wanna-be. A superior mind, extensive world view, relaxed temperment,
highly educated with a common touch. I want policies, plans to
get out of Iraq and a hard line on corporations who are sucking
the country dry and then running overseas.
Let;s do ourhomework.
Dear My Kind of Town -

You say you want policies on corporations that are sucking the country dry? How about starting with the corrupt Illinois government (i.e. Democrats, long standing)? What kind of policies, other than tax, tax, tax have the Dems come up with? What is the sales tax in Chicago? Hmmm ... let me think. Oh, it's 10.25%, the highest in the country. Obama is from Illinois, his plan is to increase taxes ... jee, I wonder where that notion came from?
independent thought

North Chicago, IL

#599 Sep 9, 2008
Too much hate wrote:
<quoted text> What scares me the most is that she dumped it for $300K under list and McCain called it a profit.
I think that is a great example of his grasp of economics.
Under list, or under what was paid for it a couple of years earlier? Also, standard depreciation for the plane would have been 52% for the two years. So, if it were a business, they would have had to report a gain on disposal of an asset.

Also, as people are seeing with the housing markets, an asset is can only be sold for what someone is willing to pay for it, and by disposing of the plane, Palin saved taxpayers on maintenance and also found a cheaper way to transport prisoners.

Now, how is your grasp on economics again?
Eileen

Crystal Lake, IL

#600 Sep 9, 2008
Earnest in Evanston wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear and agree with a lot of what you say.
If you have looked at my previous post, you would know I've been slamming Obama.
But I will tell you, if Obama had sided with Claypool and fought the cronyism and corruption we see in

Chicago and Cook County, risked his political career to do what's right, and not get to close to hot button people like Ayers and Wright (Oprah quit his church years ago to preserve her image), I would consider voting for him.
But his background and associates greatly contradict what I believe in and what I strongly believe is right for MY family, community, state and country.
That's too bad really because I can't tell you hard it is for me to go against my hometown boy.
Thank you Earnest. I have read all of your posts - and I am in total agreement. Thank you for your ability to post without hostility or resentment. Let's stick to the facts and the facts are pathetic, here in Illinois.
Eileen

Crystal Lake, IL

#601 Sep 9, 2008
knowledge is bliss wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true. I am married to someone who dealt with Mr. Blagojevich on a case against the City (this is years ago before blago was nowhere near the governor's mansion) and witnessed firsthand the connections that go on in the Chicago politics. Blago marrying the right daughter, campaigning for Daley, later getting his support, getting help from his father-in-law (let's talk about connections) and getting to the governor's house, all with the help of a well-oiled machine. It's a dirty dirty place to do politics indeed. Now, how do you change it ? Obama certainly did not. Goodness, doesn't Jones now have not only his son but also his grandson in?
"Now how do you change it?" For pete sakes - vote them out. For some reason, the democrats keep crying "change" and the citizens of Illinois keep believing it. I think something is in the water here in Illinois which keeps us voting for the Democrats.
speedmaster

Concord, CA

#602 Sep 9, 2008
Depreciation 101
Purchase Price (2005)-$2,700.000
Depreciation (2005)-$385,714
Depreciation (2006)-$385,714
Depreciation (2007)- Don't know the timing, so we'll forget it
Basis (2007)-$1,928,572
Sales Price (2007)-$2,100,000
Capital Gain $171,428
Sales Commission -$31,000
Net Profit -$140,428
Republicans know how to run a business and simple accounting
Eileen

Crystal Lake, IL

#603 Sep 9, 2008
Erik Latranyi wrote:
The Chicago Tribune and its writers, Jason George and Andrew Zajac are the liars.
It is an excellent demonstration of liberal media bias.
The Chicago Tribune editors should be fired for allowing such a headline to be published.
I agree ... and I wrote to the Trib editors telling them of my grievance with the "headline." Their editor only supported their journalists, saying that they have "done their homework." Oops - what homework? I guess that must be a subjective stance by the editors to substantiate their bias.
LMAO1

United States

#604 Sep 9, 2008
Mowog wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama won't be debating Palin? Wow, you are a genius.
My comment was in refernce to implication that Palin won't do good in a debate because it isn't scripted. We'll see how she does but we have already seen the great speaker, Uhbama in unscripted situations and he's really not impressive.
I agree with you that Obama's t|ts aren't as big as Palin's.
independent thought

North Chicago, IL

#605 Sep 9, 2008
speedmaster wrote:
Depreciation 101
Purchase Price (2005)-$2,700.000
Depreciation (2005)-$385,714
Depreciation (2006)-$385,714
Depreciation (2007)- Don't know the timing, so we'll forget it
Basis (2007)-$1,928,572
Sales Price (2007)-$2,100,000
Capital Gain $171,428
Sales Commission -$31,000
Net Profit -$140,428
Republicans know how to run a business and simple accounting
You are using straighline, planes can be depreciated 20% in the 1st year and 32% in the second year, making the gain on disposal of an asset even greater.
LMAO1

United States

#606 Sep 9, 2008
Eileen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear My Kind of Town -
You say you want policies on corporations that are sucking the country dry? How about starting with the corrupt Illinois government (i.e. Democrats, long standing)?
Interesting how quickly wingnuts have forgotten all about George Ryan.

Corruption is IL gvmt is strictly bipartisan, and if you are too stupid to realize that, please just kill yourself.
independent thought

North Chicago, IL

#607 Sep 9, 2008
Eileen wrote:
<quoted text>
"Now how do you change it?" For pete sakes - vote them out. For some reason, the democrats keep crying "change" and the citizens of Illinois keep believing it. I think something is in the water here in Illinois which keeps us voting for the Democrats.
It is not the water, it is the corrupt Democrat Machine. They have people on the payroll whose job is solely to make sure (D)(D)(D)s are elected. As they grow their machine, they increase taxes to pay for the corrupt organization, but they also keep increasing the number of people that get "kickbacks". Eventually the system will fail as with what happens when too many leeches attach to a fish and kill the host. They suck it dry.

The Democrat Machine is now trying to expand north by promoting Dan Seals in Lake County, a person who does not even live in the district. The Democrat Machine is growing and the lifeblood of IL is slowly being leeched away.
independent thought

North Chicago, IL

#608 Sep 9, 2008
LMAO1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how quickly wingnuts have forgotten all about George Ryan.
Corruption is IL gvmt is strictly bipartisan, and if you are too stupid to realize that, please just kill yourself.
The difference is, the (I)s voted against him, initially voting for Blago. I was one of those (I)s that believed Blagos "change" message. I was fooled once, I will not be fooled by that message again.

As for "bipartisan", what do (R)s or (I)s control in IL? I don't think much. It has gotten so bad that the (D)(D)(D)s are now forced to fight amongts themselves on how much to raise taxes and where to spend the money. They are doing a great job in driving aways jobs, no?
Mowog

Wheeling, IL

#609 Sep 9, 2008
LMAO1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you that Obama's t|ts aren't as big as Palin's.
More genius.
LMAO1

United States

#610 Sep 9, 2008
independent thought wrote:
<quoted text>As for "bipartisan", what do (R)s or (I)s control in IL?
Little right this second -- but that's not the point.

When the Rs are in control in IL, they are as or more corrupt than the Ds.

*That's* the point.
LMAO1

United States

#611 Sep 9, 2008
Mowog wrote:
<quoted text>
More genius.
Thank you. Too bad it takes a genius to point out to you how superficial you are.
Mowog

Wheeling, IL

#612 Sep 9, 2008
LMAO1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. Too bad it takes a genius to point out to you how superficial you are.
Superficial??? It is you making the inane statements and not me.

There's an old saying that it is sometimes better to be quiet and look stupid rather than speak and prove it. You might want to think this one over if you can.
LMAO1

United States

#613 Sep 9, 2008
Mowog wrote:
<quoted text>
Superficial??? It is you making the inane statements and not me.
There's an old saying that it is sometimes better to be quiet and look stupid rather than speak and prove it. You might want to think this one over if you can.
Wow. You really are too stupid to tell when someone is satirizing you, aren't you?

Uh, um, uh, um....

LMAO.
the emperor is naked

Downers Grove, IL

#614 Sep 9, 2008
independent thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Under list, or under what was paid for it a couple of years earlier? Also, standard depreciation for the plane would have been 52% for the two years. So, if it were a business, they would have had to report a gain on disposal of an asset.
Also, as people are seeing with the housing markets, an asset is can only be sold for what someone is willing to pay for it, and by disposing of the plane, Palin saved taxpayers on maintenance and also found a cheaper way to transport prisoners.
Now, how is your grasp on economics again?
She sold it for $300K less than she listed it on ebay for. Either way it wasn't the "profit" McCain claimed was it?
Cougar lover

Downers Grove, IL

#615 Sep 9, 2008
the emperor is naked wrote:
<quoted text>
She sold it for $300K less than she listed it on ebay for. Either way it wasn't the "profit" McCain claimed was it?
Maybe he meant that she made a "prophet"... you know ... that whole speaking in tongues thing.
KmC

Nashville, TN

#616 Sep 9, 2008
Eileen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Tim - Just read your post, haven't been online for a while. I am a woman who leans to the right. I have been somewhat indifferent up until now. Sarah Palin is the very person our country needs!
You're both full of horse manure.
You write letters to Playboy also?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill: 25 Years Later, Effects... (Mar '14) Sep '14 Tuco Blondie 3
Valdez Music Thread (Oct '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 8
Legislature considers $150m to help oil refineries (Apr '14) Apr '14 important stories 1
Great Alaska Earthquake shook Alaska 50 years ago (Mar '14) Mar '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 4
Seismic shift: How the Good Friday Earthquake o... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Alaska Edition January 31, 2014 (Feb '14) Feb '14 is fake snow falling 1
Valdez community meetings 1/30/2014 (Dec '13) Dec '13 CodyEriksen 1
Valdez Dating
Find my Match

Valdez People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Valdez News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Valdez

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:57 am PST

NBC Sports 5:57AM
Harbaugh compares Vernon Davis to an olive jar
NFL 6:56 AM
Seahawks considering using Richard Sherman at WR?
Bleacher Report12:39 PM
Report: Seahawks Mulling Sherman at WR
NBC Sports 2:15 PM
Glenn Dorsey won't be back for at least a few more weeks
Bleacher Report 9:13 PM
Washington Redskins vs. San Francisco 49ers: Live Washington Score and Analysis