Palin claim on eBay plane sale doesn't fly

JUNEAU, Alaska - When Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin sought to illustrate her frugality and flair to delegates at the GOP convention Wednesday, she described how she disposed of a corporate jet acquired by her ... Full Story
Patrick

United States

#21 Sep 5, 2008
Fast Eddie wrote:
Palin is another Big Oil Company pawn! Her answer is lets drill all over Alaska.
She worked for them for years and she still takes their money. Her husband (who they say is a fisherman) works full time for the oil industry.
You guys like 4 dollars a gallon gas(or more) keep voting for people who put the interests of the oil industry above your interests.
I wonder how much cash Cheney made during the Iraqi war from his Halliburton trust fund?
Why do people keep electing those who put their interests above those of the USA?
McCain is a guy who has been in Congress for 20 years yet he is some kind of Maverick?
He has voted with Bush over 90% of the time Mc Same is not going to change a thing.
I cannot vote for a guy who doesn’t know how many houses he owns. The answer is seven John you have seven homes. So tell us again how you are just like us and you’re a Maverick.
Fast Eddie needs a little lesson in logic and basic economics. When American oil companies drill that means that they are extracting oil from the ground which means more supply which means prices go down. Am I going too fast for you? If we don't drill that means prices stay high and we hope and pray that Chavez, Putin and Amedinejad like us enough to sell us their oil at a price that we have no control. Still going too fast?

It is people like you that is the basic reasoning for the electoral college. We don't want to pay $4 per gallon so DON'T DRILL!!!! Yeah Eddie you've been a valuable contributor here.
Dave

United States

#22 Sep 5, 2008
Gov. Palin is a Republican gimmick who won't stand up to scrutiny once people find out more about her. It's sad that the Republican Party is so weak that McCain's best choice was Palin.
POd

Madison, NJ

#23 Sep 5, 2008
Where did these two knuckleheads go to journalism school. They should be writing for the National Inquirer. Talk about a mis leading headline what exactly does it IMPLY. Go back and start doing some checks on every statement your heros have made well that won't be happening anytime soon.
John D

United States

#26 Sep 5, 2008
If I read the quote correctly, Sarah said she "put it on E-bay" and NOT that she had sold it on E-bay. I think there is a huge difference, but I am not a liberal oriented media person. Any fifth grader would undwerstand what she said.

Read the words folks, don't try to give your meaning to them.
Clarence Darrow

Chicago, IL

#27 Sep 5, 2008
The Tribune is so desperate to nail Palin, this is the best they got? The only inference is that made by the author. She said she "put it" on eBay. She did. So what it didn't sell there? Lots of stuff doesn't sell on eBay. Yet, there they are listed. To find something sinister in what she said -- to say that it's misleading -- indicates the immaturity of the writer and the editorial staff, who should have nipped this nothing story in the bud. Lame, lame, lame.

Why not a big article about all the documented whoppers Biden has told over the years? Whoppers that weren't inferences -- plagiarism in law school, plagiarism on the presidential campaign, lies about academic performance. His family's mining background is one fine story, but not true.
Crap

United States

#28 Sep 5, 2008
Fly this, Tribune reporters are biased idiots. Maybe Mariotti was right about the newspaper business. But then again, he was a reporter idiot too.

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

United States

#29 Sep 5, 2008
my kind of town wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with that. But, here's the thing-
Clinton was already President. Had he been
embroiled in that during a primary/election
cycle (like Edwards) he never would have gotten
elected-Gary Hart was busted.
Palin has burst on the scene in less than one week.
Yeah, well, here's the thing. He got RE-elected after he lied the first time! We already knew about at least one affair when all the brain-dead CNN drones voted for him the second time! If that's not evidence of the liberal media's power, I don't know what is.

Oh, and as for "bursting on the scene in less than a week," you are the one who hasn't been paying attention. I heard her name on the short list a couple of months ago. Where were you? Oh, I forgot, CNN was busy with their Obama-ganda.

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

United States

#30 Sep 5, 2008
David wrote:
Palin's plane sale. Forget that, she has her own set of problems with all her babies. Thats where any mother would be with the kind of situation she faces at home. Now I hear she's going in training to be vice-president. That has to be unheard of in our country's history. According to that, anyone could go into training and be vice or even the president. What a joke on the American people.
When is Obama going to start his training? Since the media has already decided that he will win, I would like some assurances that he's going to know what he's doing before his first term is up. He has zero experience leading anyone or anything, so it would be nice if he got some training before Wolf Blitzer and Keith Olbermann declare him the winner.
Dave

Highland Park, IL

#31 Sep 5, 2008
so it was listed and didnt sell, big friggin deal

did that change the intent? did th ejet get sold?

why is this article written?

my kind of town

Wheaton, IL

#32 Sep 5, 2008
MBM wrote:
Palin never "claimed" that she sold plane on eBay. So the headline that says that her claim doesn't fly is maligning her.
Hey, anyone remember a young woman who was one heartbeat away from the British throne? She had a couple of kids and had a few more after her papa died. Seemed to be able to manage affairs of state & home just fine.
Are you comparing this to being the Queen?
Seriously? A figurehead with no ability to raise
taxes, commit troops or negoicate with foreign
powers? And how is the House of Windsor when
it comes to family values?

With this kind of dismisal of facts and blind
protection of our rights to question candidates
it is probably easier if we just forget the whole thing
are rejoin England....
Dave

United States

#33 Sep 5, 2008
The article is written because Palin constantly invokes the eBay plane in her speeches.(I'm not sure if she ever says she sold it on eBay.) It was not an original idea on her part either. Several smaller Alaskan planes had been sold on eBay, but not the one that Palin listed. She had to sell it through a broker at a loss.

It's just setting the record straight. Politicians often leave out pertinent details, such as when Palin claims she said no to the Bridge to Nowhere. Palin actually campaigned for the Bridge to Nowhere. Someone has to set the record straight with Palin since she won't talk with the media. Obama met with the Tribune editorial board and answered all questions about Rezko. Palin won't even answer ANY questions from anyone in the media, unless it's a staged interview with Fox News (which will surely be on the horizon).
my kind of town

Wheaton, IL

#34 Sep 5, 2008
POd wrote:
Where did these two knuckleheads go to journalism school. They should be writing for the National Inquirer. Talk about a mis leading headline what exactly does it IMPLY. Go back and start doing some checks on every statement your heros have made well that won't be happening anytime soon.
So it would be okay for Obama to say he "served" his country?
He probably grabbed some sandwiches for a solider once.
Palin is the one choosing her examples of fitness for the job
and she used the e-bay "implied sale" prominently. This isn't parcing
a Jay Leno one-liner. She had a few minutes in the speech of her
life to audition for a world class job. To "imply" she is energy saavy
and creative about business development she said she "created"
the largest private oil pipeline project ...but the idea is 20 years old,
has still has no takers and is years from ever happening. This resume
thins out when held up to the light and her character isn't wearing very
well in less than two weeks.

We need to keep taking a long, cold eyed look at this person.
Bob Skilnik

Plainfield, IL

#35 Sep 5, 2008
She said "I put it on eBay," and she did.

You reporters are vultures. How about a story about Obam's cocaine use?
my kind of town

Wheaton, IL

#36 Sep 5, 2008
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, well, here's the thing. He got RE-elected after he lied the first time! We already knew about at least one affair when all the brain-dead CNN drones voted for him the second time! If that's not evidence of the liberal media's power, I don't know what is.
Oh, and as for "bursting on the scene in less than a week," you are the one who hasn't been paying attention. I heard her name on the short list a couple of months ago. Where were you? Oh, I forgot, CNN was busy with their Obama-ganda.
But we elected Clinton even with the stories. That is the difference.
We had the information. Same with Reagan on Iran-contra. It is our right
to question our leaders and candidates. If you and others truly
knew about Sarah Palin I admire your awareness and admit I had never
heard of her before a week ago. McCain bears responsibility for some
of this -a last minute pick of a newcomer (for most of us) What is
wrong with due diligence if you are so certain of her credentials?
Should Eagleton's treatments have been off-limits? Gary Hart's fling
on the boat? Sara Palins complete record as a public official and
her background? If you want this level of work you should expect
this kind of interview process...nothing new for our style of democracy.
How we view the facts is up to each of us. But, let's agree we are
entitled to know as much as we can with time so short. Country First.
Michael Clark

Woodbridge, VA

#37 Sep 5, 2008
You can't be serious with this article?

The plane was "PUT" on ebay according to Palin. This article says that it was put on ebay but not sold via ebay.

Are you guys really that stupid?
Former FL Investigator

United States

#38 Sep 5, 2008
She did not say "I sold it on eBay." She truthfully said "I put it on eBay." Implication aside, her statement was truthful. Put a fork in your allegation... you're done.
Janice

Tinley Park, IL

#39 Sep 5, 2008
Saying you "put" something on ebay does not mean that you "sold" it on ebay. But then, you would have no article to write, would you?
KPOM

Summit Argo, IL

#40 Sep 5, 2008
What if the plane didn't sell at all? She could still truthfully say she "put it on eBay." However, a mothballed plane is no cost saver at all. She could simply have said she "sold the plane." Why did she bother pointing out that she "put it on eBay" if not to imply that she sold it there?
Frank Debeans

New York, NY

#41 Sep 5, 2008
This article is worthless. You make no point whatsoever. Find another line of work you idiot.
James

River Grove, IL

#42 Sep 5, 2008
I put up my house for sale over a year ago with a local broker.

I asked for my money from my agent but she said I have to wait until it sells. Just putting it up for sale doesn't qualify as a sale she told me.

I had thought we had figured out how to stop the real estate slide!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Exxon Valdez Oil Spill: 25 Years Later, Effects... Sep 3 Tuco Blondie 3
Valdez Music Thread (Oct '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 8
Legislature considers $150m to help oil refineries Apr '14 important stories 1
Great Alaska Earthquake shook Alaska 50 years ago Mar '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 4
Seismic shift: How the Good Friday Earthquake o... Mar '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Alaska Edition January 31, 2014 (Feb '14) Feb '14 is fake snow falling 1
Valdez community meetings 1/30/2014 (Dec '13) Dec '13 CodyEriksen 1
•••
•••
•••