Posted in the Valdese Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
wondering

Angier, NC

#1 Jun 23, 2012
anyone ever worked there?

The temp place in valdese had my brother go in for " Orientation" this past week along with 10 others and the orientation lasted 5 hours WITH NO PAY ?

Just sitting in a room for five hours doing paperwork.

I didn't believe him at first then i talked to a friend that went through the same thing , five hour orientation with no pay .

Then at the end of the 5 hours of paperwork the temp place and Magna officials came in and pick a few people from the group to go to work .

Im no rocket scientist But , there are not that many people that work for magna "per-shift" excluding the bosses and supervisors , for the size of that huge facility so if they are bringing in groups of people like this regularly , the turn over rate must be high im thinking .

Anyone ever worked there as a temp? what was the experience ?

And is it even Legal to hold " Orientations " for 5 hours with 0 pay ?
That Guy

Duncan, SC

#2 Jun 23, 2012
If you're desperate; I say "go for it". If not, I would HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere. I worked for Magna (then it was Meridian Automotive Systems) from 2005 to 2009. I was a temp for almost 2 YEARS before I was hired on full-time. I done excellent work but they "supposedly" had a freeze on hiring. I learned every job I could so I could be more of an asset (i was trained on atleast 90% of the jobs in there). I almost always volunteered to work overtime, weekends, and holidays. In the end, I got laid off because of seniority. While people who had been there a little longer, but were lazy and useless, got to stay. Not long after I was laid off, Magna bough Meridian out. Magna had this rule that absolutely NO ONE laid off by Meridian would be eligible to be re-hired. Believe me, I tried.

The turnover rate was MASSIVE when it was Meridian. Temps would come in and work 1 day and you'd never see them again. In my time there I seen a couple hundred temps come though. The work was too much for some people not to mention the fiberglass dust and the SMC that irritated the hell out of your skin. The smell of styrene was sickening at times. The supervisors were not very smart and each and every one of them treated you as if you were beneath them. No appreciation whatsoever. The pay sucks as a temp. I have talked to some of the people that still work there and they say it has gotten even worse since Magna took over. I didn't even think that as possible but apparently so. I have also heard the pay is less; especially for temps. SO if you need a job really bad, I say go for it. It's tough at first but you'll get use to the work and the conditions. But if you're not desperate or in a hurry to get a job, I suggest finding work elsewhere where your time, hardwork, and dedication will be appreciated because you won't find it there. Good luck to you.
wondering

Angier, NC

#3 Jun 23, 2012
That Guy wrote:
If you're desperate; I say "go for it". If not, I would HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere. I worked for Magna (then it was Meridian Automotive Systems) from 2005 to 2009. I was a temp for almost 2 YEARS before I was hired on full-time. I done excellent work but they "supposedly" had a freeze on hiring. I learned every job I could so I could be more of an asset (i was trained on atleast 90% of the jobs in there). I almost always volunteered to work overtime, weekends, and holidays. In the end, I got laid off because of seniority. While people who had been there a little longer, but were lazy and useless, got to stay. Not long after I was laid off, Magna bough Meridian out. Magna had this rule that absolutely NO ONE laid off by Meridian would be eligible to be re-hired. Believe me, I tried.
The turnover rate was MASSIVE when it was Meridian. Temps would come in and work 1 day and you'd never see them again. In my time there I seen a couple hundred temps come though. The work was too much for some people not to mention the fiberglass dust and the SMC that irritated the hell out of your skin. The smell of styrene was sickening at times. The supervisors were not very smart and each and every one of them treated you as if you were beneath them. No appreciation whatsoever. The pay sucks as a temp. I have talked to some of the people that still work there and they say it has gotten even worse since Magna took over. I didn't even think that as possible but apparently so. I have also heard the pay is less; especially for temps. SO if you need a job really bad, I say go for it. It's tough at first but you'll get use to the work and the conditions. But if you're not desperate or in a hurry to get a job, I suggest finding work elsewhere where your time, hardwork, and dedication will be appreciated because you won't find it there. Good luck to you.
Thank you so very much for that well thought out , intelligent post . Post's like this are rare no days on Topix forum thank you again .

This is exactly what i was wanting to know and you have even worked there before so you know from experience .

I had that feeling right off the bat i just needed conformation . My Brother has an education but needs to move from this area if he intends on finding a Job in this area for what he went to school for i'm afraid .

He thought maybe he could find a Job in this area and went for that interview/orientation for 5 hours with no pay and i couldn't hardly believe it. What is the point of a 5 hour no pay orientation ? ive worked for many Nice companies before in and out of major interviews and ive never heard of such . im trying to look out for my Brother .

I believe you 100%. you sound spot on as to what i was gauging this place as .

thanks again .
That Guy

Duncan, SC

#4 Jun 23, 2012
You're very welcome. ;-)
phillip

Mountain City, TN

#5 Jun 23, 2012
That Guy wrote:
I have known some folks who have worked at Magna. They were not very educated (no more than High School) and did not possess any high level skills. Why would Magna pay these types of people anything other than the minimum? Caldwell Co is full of workers such as these.
wondering

Angier, NC

#6 Jun 23, 2012
phillip wrote:
<quoted text>I have known some folks who have worked at Magna. They were not very educated (no more than High School) and did not possess any high level skills. Why would Magna pay these types of people anything other than the minimum? Caldwell Co is full of workers such as these.
Yeah , he said that while he was there for the 5 hours of orientation they had a fire drill and everyone in the whole plant had to come out and stand beside the fence .

Everyone there looked highly uneducated , torn cloths , a burping contest broke out , laughing and smoking cigarettes all the while it was clearly posted " no smoking " all around .

Even the "supervisors " didn't look to have much sense .

I don't get it though , five hours of unpaid orientation , Tons and tons of in depth rules , policies and they told them they hold random drug tests all the time .

Something doesn't make sense .
loopityloophole

Gaffney, SC

#7 Jun 23, 2012
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah , he said that while he was there for the 5 hours of orientation they had a fire drill and everyone in the whole plant had to come out and stand beside the fence .
Everyone there looked highly uneducated , torn cloths , a burping contest broke out , laughing and smoking cigarettes all the while it was clearly posted " no smoking " all around .
Even the "supervisors " didn't look to have much sense .
I don't get it though , five hours of unpaid orientation , Tons and tons of in depth rules , policies and they told them they hold random drug tests all the time .
Something doesn't make sense .
the HR department has researched every legal loop hole that can be used to dodge paying for that orientation time sounds like to me.
seriously

Simpsonville, SC

#8 Jun 24, 2012
maybe they just want to find serious and competent employees.
doubt it

Pittsboro, NC

#9 Jun 24, 2012
seriously wrote:
maybe they just want to find serious and competent employees.
A serious or a competent employer wouldn't make serious ,competent prospective, employee's set through 5+ hours of orientation with no pay and no guarantee of any job .
A serious employer hires the person first and then pays for the orientation .
My Conclusion

Hickory, NC

#10 Jun 25, 2012
Your “Orientation" sounds like a job interview, you don’t get paid to apply for a job.
wondering

Pittsboro, NC

#11 Jun 25, 2012
My Conclusion wrote:
Your “Orientation" sounds like a job interview, you don’t get paid to apply for a job.
1) the No Job interview last for 5 hours .

2) a job interview = a process in which a potential employee is evaluated by an employer for prospective employment in their company, organization, or firm. During this process, the employer hopes to determine whether or not the applicant is suitable for the role.

a job interview never happened at Magna to any of the people that showed up , the interview happened at the temporary staffing service not the five hour meeting at Magna .
seriously

Black Mountain, NC

#12 Jun 25, 2012
doubt it wrote:
<quoted text>
A serious or a competent employer wouldn't make serious ,competent prospective, employee's set through 5+ hours of orientation with no pay and no guarantee of any job .
A serious employer hires the person first and then pays for the orientation .
yes, there is a difference between orientation and training. You actually get paid for training.
doubt it

Pittsboro, NC

#13 Jun 25, 2012
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, there is a difference between orientation and training. You actually get paid for training.
It sounds like to me that the turn over rate is so high there and the length of that " Orientation" (which ive never heard of a five hour unpaid "orientation" or "interview" however you wanna candy coat it) is so long that they cant pay anyone for it because people are constantly quiting then new people being hired that they would be paying more money for those five hour orientations over and over than anything else because people are constantly coming and going .

I'm willing to bet the turn rate is very high and that's why they don't pay for it .

five hours LOL . me personally i couldn't imagine ever going to a five hour unpaid " interview" or " orientation" unless it was the Job of a Lifetime . A temp job making 9 bucks and hour isn't " the job of a lifetime" .

minimum wage rate is currently $7.25 an hour in North Carolina and Mcdonalds is hiring at 8+ if that tells ya anything .
My Conclusion

Hickory, NC

#14 Jun 25, 2012
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
1) the No Job interview last for 5 hours .
2) a job interview = a process in which a potential employee is evaluated by an employer for prospective employment in their company, organization, or firm. During this process, the employer hopes to determine whether or not the applicant is suitable for the role.
a job interview never happened at Magna to any of the people that showed up , the interview happened at the temporary staffing service not the five hour meeting at Magna .
YES an interview can take 5 hours! I guess if you’re applying at Wal-Mart or Burger King it shouldn’t take that long. It all depends on the kind of Job you're applying for. Most Job interviews for professional positions last 4 to 6 hours for the 1st interview and there are sometimes 2 follow-up interviews.
doubt it

Pittsboro, NC

#15 Jun 25, 2012
My Conclusion wrote:
<quoted text>
YES an interview can take 5 hours! I guess if you’re applying at Wal-Mart or Burger King it shouldn’t take that long. It all depends on the kind of Job you're applying for. Most Job interviews for professional positions last 4 to 6 hours for the 1st interview and there are sometimes 2 follow-up interviews.
I agree ,like i said earlier for me personally it would have to be a "the Job of a Lifetime" for that kinda interview or orientation to last longer than 30 mins with no pay . not some menial job grouped in like cattle sitting in a room for five hours jut doing paperwork . you are right .

Besides it wasn't an interview , the guy said it was a temporary job and the interview was completed at the staffing place .
whyfor

Linville, NC

#16 Jun 26, 2012
I know a place that does the same interview deal. By their policy they have to at least interiew three people which is two trips,first 3 hours and second over one. Two pople have wasted four hours of job seeking time by this process.The trouble is they call you again the next time they have an opening because you applied before. It isn't the most qualified that gets the job it's often the one who will work the cheapest. In this job that isn't good, I had rather have a qualified medical tec working on me instead of the cheapest one.
just saying

Lenoir, NC

#17 Jun 27, 2012
MAGNA does not hire on the spot or do interviews everyone goes threw a staffing service & then if they can actually get a TEMPORARY job there They got to work a full year to actually get Hired as full time!!!! and most of the "Young" ppl do not make it b/c they are too LAZY to actually WORK!!!!!!!
Brandon

Hickory, NC

#18 Jun 27, 2012
just saying wrote:
MAGNA does not hire on the spot or do interviews everyone goes threw a staffing service & then if they can actually get a TEMPORARY job there They got to work a full year to actually get Hired as full time!!!! and most of the "Young" ppl do not make it b/c they are too LAZY to actually WORK!!!!!!!
Actually...I have seen plenty of "young" people who are good workers and plenty of "experienced" people who are lazy. Age has nothing to do with it.
LOL

Pittsboro, NC

#19 Jun 27, 2012
just saying wrote:
Seeing how the job pays 9.50 an hour through temp service with no insurance and doesn't go permanent for a year or any kind of benefits how much work do you or anyone expect for that ?

I don't know many people at all regardless of age that would work inside a dark factory with No Windows , that smells like Strong Chemicals 24 hours a day , where you have to wear rubber sleeves around you're forearms to keep from being burnt off , ear plugs and goggles and ALL for 9.50 a freakin hour .

Burger king starts at eight bucks an hour with no experience and doesnt requires burn proof sleeves , ear plugs or Goggles and that's a bottom of the Barrel Fast food Joint.

Target , walmart , foodlion , bi-lo ,and Most all local places start at 8+ an hour now days and its all easy Jobs . why in the world would anyone put themselves and their body through that place day after day for 9 bucks with no benefits in sight ? It just doesn't make common sense .

Maybe there is something im missing here?
just saying

Lenoir, NC

#20 Jun 27, 2012
sorry but yes they do ofer GREAT beefits after you are hired which 1 includes medical insurance !!who can say that @ MOST plants in this county & paid days off & Holiday & NEVER heard of anyone having to wear anything RUBBER really if that were true it wld mealt??? and last I heard it was over 10 an hr so if some fool is working for less than that then thats their BAD!! & besides most pll in this county wld work their just for their insurance....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdese Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A vote for Trump is a vote for PUTIN! 6 min Yes Liberal 19
Roberts turns the Forum into Hog Sh*t 9 min Yes Liberal 33
where can I shoot in caldwell county (Mar '09) 39 min waco1909 9
Miami police shot black male therapist. 53 min waco1909 36
Robert Loves Black's Spit Burgers 1 hr so you know 9
News Morganton Development Readies for Customers 1 hr Disappointed 2
DNC Opens in Chaos, E-Mail Uproar 1 hr CarolinaFan 2

Valdese Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance