Caldwell County can't keep up with ne...

Caldwell County can't keep up with needs of poor

There are 72 comments on the Lenoir News-Topic story from Apr 28, 2013, titled Caldwell County can't keep up with needs of poor. In it, Lenoir News-Topic reports that:

Pleas for help from unemployed and low-income residents for help with food, heating and cooling bills and other forms of assistance are far outstripping the abilities of the Caldwell County Department of Social Services, increasing the burden on independent charities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lenoir News-Topic.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
wonder why

United States

#1 Apr 28, 2013
We can evidently afford new vehicles for our scandalpus Sheriff Office, and we can afford to give Google a 20 year tax break, so I wonder why we can't afford to help those who in NEED (not the ones abusing and using the system- we've seen them, the ones with new autos while you drive a 12 year old auto and pay your way). There are elderly raising grandchildren, great grandchildren ...those doing without food to buy their chemo or heart meds. The same people struggling who worked endless hours in Broyhill, Bernardt, Thomasville, Hammary. But, one person we can blame is the greedy Sheriff Jones, would there be money if all the new vehicles, lawsuits (even out of court settlements) deaths in jail, would there be money then? The county cannot afford 2 temporary people to get the EBT key ins up to date? Why not? If we can afford all new vehicles, including a new Mustang with street graphics designs of at least $2000 in art work on this patrol car......how many families could have eaten with the $2000. Not to mention, the insurance costs on each new vehicle. Wonder Why things are so bad here.
Rolo

Atlanta, GA

#2 Apr 28, 2013
You sound like you're part of the crimson tide vial rampage of paranoid misfits.

Since: Apr 13

Black Mountain, NC

#3 Apr 29, 2013
wonder why wrote:
We can evidently afford new vehicles for our scandalpus Sheriff Office, and we can afford to give Google a 20 year tax break, so I wonder why we can't afford to help those who in NEED (not the ones abusing and using the system- we've seen them, the ones with new autos while you drive a 12 year old auto and pay your way). There are elderly raising grandchildren, great grandchildren ...those doing without food to buy their chemo or heart meds. The same people struggling who worked endless hours in Broyhill, Bernardt, Thomasville, Hammary. But, one person we can blame is the greedy Sheriff Jones, would there be money if all the new vehicles, lawsuits (even out of court settlements) deaths in jail, would there be money then? The county cannot afford 2 temporary people to get the EBT key ins up to date? Why not? If we can afford all new vehicles, including a new Mustang with street graphics designs of at least $2000 in art work on this patrol car......how many families could have eaten with the $2000. Not to mention, the insurance costs on each new vehicle. Wonder Why things are so bad here.
How right you are! Dss could have hired a few extra workers and not had the huge delay on the EBT program. We are going on 3 months without food. Have grandkids to feed and now I have one week before Blue Ridge turns our lights off because 2 months behind on bill because had to buy food. Plus they have lied to us 2 weeks in a row saying we would have the card loaded in a couple days. Never happened!
anonymous

Lenoir, NC

#4 Apr 29, 2013
with their were people with the ball to go out and do something about this. so many mass shooting going on of killing innocents but never a police station or sheriff department. something isent right
wonder why

Cowpens, SC

#5 Apr 29, 2013
Rolo wrote:
You sound like you're part of the crimson tide vial rampage of paranoid misfits.
no, sorry to disappoint. I will be driving around with the American Flag, Green ribbons waving in the wind as celebration of Jones "resigning".
wonder why

Cowpens, SC

#6 Apr 29, 2013
And, WHY not hire a 3 month temp to key in the information AFTER HOURS so the backlogged WHY can be resolved? Have someone work 3pm - 11pm and see just how quickly this issue is resolved?

County, Please STOP BUYING $45,000.00 Mustangs with $3500 in graphics to let everyone in the world know a Deputy patrol car is present. Like the sirens, lights, officers with guns weren't a dead give away. Who not include a Braille version for those who didn't see the we'll spent dollars. Come on people, ask our County DSS to hire an after hours temp who doesn't care about the gossip (so much here in Caldwell) but cares about getting the work done. Seniors and children without food, those without the new autos abusing the system. An after hours data processor at $9.50 an hour for 3 mnha versus another CCSO Mustang at $45,000.00.

Call one of these people you voted for, tell them you see the CCSO Mustang car, why not hire a temp to work from home to get caught up or an after hours person who will probably key in 4 hours what someone did in 1 week. Is the matter too complicated for those in the position now? Set up comp time for someone to work after hours. Imagine how quickly the backlog clears up with no phone ringing and chatting.

Back log is another term for slow. Call your county commissionera. they could have someone set up to work by Friday. Those level II and III could work Saturdays to get caught up. This situation is beyond ridiculous.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#7 Apr 29, 2013
liliesdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>How right you are! Dss could have hired a few extra workers and not had the huge delay on the EBT program. We are going on 3 months without food. Have grandkids to feed and now I have one week before Blue Ridge turns our lights off because 2 months behind on bill because had to buy food. Plus they have lied to us 2 weeks in a row saying we would have the card loaded in a couple days. Never happened!
And are you a new applicant, who suddenly hit a bump in the road and needs help to get through it?

No? You mean you are a lifer who has been suckling the teet of the county for a while, with no intention of ever weening yourself? Then maybe, while the county works through this temporary bump in the road, you should suck it up and support yourself for a while, instead of demanding that the rest of us pay up so that you can get your benefits.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#8 Apr 29, 2013
wonder why wrote:
And, WHY not hire a 3 month temp to key in the information AFTER HOURS so the backlogged WHY can be resolved? Have someone work 3pm - 11pm and see just how quickly this issue is resolved?
County, Please STOP BUYING $45,000.00 Mustangs with $3500 in graphics to let everyone in the world know a Deputy patrol car is present. Like the sirens, lights, officers with guns weren't a dead give away. Who not include a Braille version for those who didn't see the we'll spent dollars. Come on people, ask our County DSS to hire an after hours temp who doesn't care about the gossip (so much here in Caldwell) but cares about getting the work done. Seniors and children without food, those without the new autos abusing the system. An after hours data processor at $9.50 an hour for 3 mnha versus another CCSO Mustang at $45,000.00.
Call one of these people you voted for, tell them you see the CCSO Mustang car, why not hire a temp to work from home to get caught up or an after hours person who will probably key in 4 hours what someone did in 1 week. Is the matter too complicated for those in the position now? Set up comp time for someone to work after hours. Imagine how quickly the backlog clears up with no phone ringing and chatting.
Back log is another term for slow. Call your county commissionera. they could have someone set up to work by Friday. Those level II and III could work Saturdays to get caught up. This situation is beyond ridiculous.
You can't seriously be ok with them to just hiring a part timer to work from home WITH ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, let alone expect it?
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#9 Apr 29, 2013
liliesdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>How right you are! Dss could have hired a few extra workers and not had the huge delay on the EBT program. We are going on 3 months without food. Have grandkids to feed and now I have one week before Blue Ridge turns our lights off because 2 months behind on bill because had to buy food. Plus they have lied to us 2 weeks in a row saying we would have the card loaded in a couple days. Never happened!
Quick question - how did you access the Internet to post this?
wonder why

Cowpens, SC

#11 Apr 29, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't seriously be ok with them to just hiring a part timer to work from home WITH ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, let alone expect it?
I work for a banking giant out of Charlotte on their secure site with loops, holes, key fobs with special numbers I key in to get on the bank site and do my job. My security clearance was done in the bank before I could work from home, but done in less than 4 days. I assume DSS has no ability to issue laptops, security coded fobs to get past firewalls. Im accessing information of people with money not personal information with people who are struggling. How hard is it to key in data ? I don't think it's right that people who are doing all they can to do without. Children going hungry, I myself couldn't leave at the end of the day knowing I could key in a few more files for a child to have a meal. I don't feel for the EBT ppl with new autos and money to spare for beer and cigarettes.

Telecommute is something done daily throughout the world. But alas, this is Caldwell and too hard to imagine. Working from home saved office space. Since telecommute seems too hard to contemplate, why not have someone to work at DSS after working hours?

I work seeing millions go through hourly on the trade floor, i'd ra
ther work helping the poor in a crisis.

Access this site, really? I own a tablet and other means to connect to the internet. My location is often scrambled by a proxy as a bank precaution.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#12 Apr 29, 2013
wonder why wrote:
<quoted text>
I work for a banking giant out of Charlotte on their secure site with loops, holes, key fobs with special numbers I key in to get on the bank site and do my job. My security clearance was done in the bank before I could work from home, but done in less than 4 days. I assume DSS has no ability to issue laptops, security coded fobs to get past firewalls. Im accessing information of people with money not personal information with people who are struggling. How hard is it to key in data ? I don't think it's right that people who are doing all they can to do without. Children going hungry, I myself couldn't leave at the end of the day knowing I could key in a few more files for a child to have a meal. I don't feel for the EBT ppl with new autos and money to spare for beer and cigarettes.
Telecommute is something done daily throughout the world. But alas, this is Caldwell and too hard to imagine. Working from home saved office space. Since telecommute seems too hard to contemplate, why not have someone to work at DSS after working hours?
I work seeing millions go through hourly on the trade floor, i'd ra
ther work helping the poor in a crisis.
Access this site, really? I own a tablet and other means to connect to the internet. My location is often scrambled by a proxy as a bank precaution.
This isn't giving a trusted employee the ability to access sensitive data off-site. This would be a temp hire sitting at home with a stack of papers that would be an identity thief's wetdream. Don't defend the concept absent the context.
Pike Bishop

United States

#13 Apr 29, 2013
It would take action by the county commissioners and budget office to transfer assets from one dept. such as sheriff to dss to hire cotract staff and i am unware of any effort to do so.
DO U READ AT ALL

Lenoir, NC

#14 Apr 29, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
And are you a new applicant, who suddenly hit a bump in the road and needs help to get through it?
No? You mean you are a lifer who has been suckling the teet of the county for a while, with no intention of ever weening yourself? Then maybe, while the county works through this temporary bump in the road, you should suck it up and support yourself for a while, instead of demanding that the rest of us pay up so that you can get your benefits.
The woman you are jumping has plainly stated she is an elderly grandmother in her 70's trying to raise her grand children. Now I am all up and sorry, but in my book, this woman is a hero for taking on a responsibility like that.

How does anyone here know anything about you? Could be that you just might be protesting too loud because you're one of the welfare crowd. Now leave the lady alone.

Black Mountain, NC

#15 Apr 29, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Been getting it about a year. By the way, I am 70 and my husband is 75. Would you hire us or do you know anybody who would? We would sure love to make some money to feed our grandchildren. Raising 3 grandchildren because the quack doctors in caldwell county have got my daughter hooked on pills. Not going to put my grandkids in that situation. I just wish they would stop lying to us and do something!

Black Mountain, NC

#16 Apr 29, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Quick question - how did you access the Internet to post this?
Quick answer- my neighbors laptop!!
wow

Lenoir, NC

#17 Apr 29, 2013
this county should have plenty of $$$$$ with all those dirty police setting up those BS traps at smith crossroads every week. even cops outta district helping about. use that to help the needy, and not put it the officers 4th bonus!! and before any idiots run off at the mouth, i wasnt caught myself!
stfu cry baby

Lenoir, NC

#18 Apr 29, 2013
wow wrote:
this county should have plenty of $$$$$ with all those dirty police setting up those BS traps at smith crossroads every week. even cops outta district helping about. use that to help the needy, and not put it the officers 4th bonus!! and before any idiots run off at the mouth, i wasnt caught myself!
Maybe you didn't get caught but you're still an ignorant moron. Most if not all the revenue generated from traffic citations such as the seat belt violations they were working on go to the state of NC because... and pay attention here, the court belongs to the STATE. Last I checked Caldwell County and the City of Lenoir didn't operate their own courts... moron. Secondly the citations for seat belts they write are part of the states click it or ticket program which in turn allows them to apply for state grants which in turn... again pay attention, allows the police to buy their equipment without using local tax money which keeps local tax down and saves your ignorant arse money. Third is any agency in this state can work in any district as long as the home agency asked them to, I didn't see any Hudson or Granite cops this time but I have in the past at other check points which is good for them as they can also apply for state grants as long as they help. Fourth is wear your damn seat belt and dont worry about it, its not a trap because having a drivers license is a privilege not a right, you either obey the laws of that privilege or get a ticket. I am bad to not wear my belt but I dont cry like a two year old when I get busted for it either.
wonder why

United States

#19 Apr 30, 2013
I see why they can't get anthing accomplished, still stuck in 1950 and argue with any reasonable idea. I would work for FREE to get you all caught up. I don't think you want outside help with higher clearabove than you will ever contemplate. This place doesn't want help, they want to continue to anger the drug ridden who will show up making threats to them one day for being slow. I'm offering help for free but they don't want help. Even with degrees and licensed in fields greater than their own. The point isn't egos here, it's struggling families. I don't feel for the EBT with new autos but do care about children and elderly. IF this county approved a temp to get this place caught up, these who driven aren't going to show the basic ropes. Do they want someone to clear up a 3 month backlog in 3.5 weeks. It's not about helping anyone, it's them proving a point. No matter who offers free help with degrees higher than theirs, they do not want the assistance. I read on here that Grandview Park Baptist may offer a little assistance to families such as the struggling grandparents. EBT should be keyed in by Raleigh professionals, not the Chatty Cathys catching up on Facebook and emails. Example: your receptionist arguing with the ex via phone and texts.

Good luck EBT people. Call each County Commissioner and ask them to either get a temp from Burke, Catawba or Watauga DSS who do not continue to drag their feet. Ask the County Commissioners WHY Wal-mart grocery gift cards of at least $50 can't be provided and deducted from your balance. Or if they don't trust the issue of cards, have a stock pile to give each family on a Saturday and deduct from EBT balances.

I don't see how these girls sleep at night or feel guilty cooking dinner, eating out, knowing so many children have no meals to eat, their own child's classmate. Prove your point you don't want help getting caught up, it's all about WHO, YOUR EGO.

Continue standing around talking and doing nothing, you may be on YouTube for Raleigh to see.

Keep up the slow , slow, 4 keyed a day backlogs. You're gonna make some EBTS angry enough to appear on the news. But, your EGO is at stake though. Forget someone with a Masters offering free assistance.
wonder why

United States

#20 Apr 30, 2013
Im driving into Charlotte today for meetings, I may drop a more to WBTV which is up he street 2 blocks. Maybe being on the news can jump start 1950 Lenoir to get the move on? Children are going hungry here. Why is it always Caldwell County with slow slow problema and no work ethics? Im mere miles from WSOC and WCNC and drive by Fox on he commute back.

Feed these children and elderly. Stop your salaried whining.
Big picture

Sherrills Ford, NC

#21 Apr 30, 2013
Poor management in government contributes to Caldwell County's problems, but it's not the whole picture.

For generations, people have quit high school to work in the factories. Now those basically good jobs are gone, and we have many adults who don't have enough training to work a 21st century job. "Job creators" won't bring their businesses here because they know they can't find enough qualified people to fill the available job slots.

There is absolutely no reason for someone to move here unless they are recruited by the hospital. It will take a long time for conditions to get better because at this time most people here either don't value education, or they are so far behind they can't see how to catch up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdese Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Manafort wiretapped 6 min David53g 13
How the Trump Nightmare Ends 16 min Rock 40
Weeeiner 43 min Doc 2
I hate Muslims (Sep '16) 3 hr Rock 33
As the Ocean levels rise and Trump fooks up mor... 4 hr Rock 141
House Democrats Break Fundraising Record 6 hr southern at heart 42
Obama travel bill so far: 106 million 6 hr waco1909 26

Valdese Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance