Carp fishing at money ponds
Rusty

Black Mountain, NC

#22 Jan 26, 2013
CRS wrote:
So basically trout chow are fish pellets, from what I can tell.
Where do you buy trout chow? Local feed stores? Thanks for your help.
<quoted text>
Yeah it's used by people who own ponds to feed their fish. You can buy it at most ponds by the pound but it will more than likely already be ground up it varies from pond to pond. You can get whole trout chow pellets at Southern States but you will have to buy 50 lbs, but I think they might just carry one size but you would probably be able to order whatever size you prefer. Around here (Caldwell County NC area) most people go to Johnson's Milling & Feed. If you're coming from Lenoir it's on highway 90 after you pass the Alexander County line on the left. If you are on 90 you can't miss it.
Brian

Tucker, GA

#23 Jun 23, 2013
Try this. 1 box of minute maid rice (28oz), 2 eggs (just yokes), 2 room temp 12oz can Mtn Dews, 5 caps of Banananut, 3 caps of vanilla butternut, and one cap of peach. I go to the ABC store and buy a small bottle of Banana 99 sometimes to add but only like a teaspoon full. First put in flavoring a in the bucket, then banana 99 if using, then the 2 egg yokes, then the 2 12oz cans of Mountain Dew. Pour the rice in last and let set a couple of hours before using. Good luck!
Jim J

Black Mountain, NC

#24 Jun 24, 2013
Daniel Boone wrote:
<quoted text>if you go to a money pond around here gv...those old men have PHDs in bait making. I can make a sugarpop swim by itself like a little motor boat by putting some oil on it. These men will NOT tell you jack. This is a very competitive sport. I have seen fights and even pistols pulled at some.
Money
Going to Hell in a hand B

Black Mountain, NC

#25 Jun 30, 2013
Heard of a guy who illegally gets SNAP benefits and uses them to buy bait to go carp fishing for money.
Bufordp

Wellford, SC

#26 Jul 1, 2013
Larry wrote:
I fish a pond right out of Monroe, NC. and we have some that just catch all night long and then there is me not catching nothing much at all. Using grits, rice trout chow and oats. My flavor is the problem. Don't know what really to use. Any help and I know that is a lot to ask, but it is the only place we can fish. My wife and I are both disabled and we can't go that much. Thanks
You Can try walnut or tutiefrutie.
swami

Marion, NC

#28 Sep 30, 2013
keep your bait simple!
stick bait works very well.
pour chow in a bucket,wet with pond water and stir it with a stick.
carpmaster

Rock Hill, SC

#29 Mar 21, 2014
I am a pro at carp fishing I trivial all over the united states fishing for money ponds big money:-) there is a science to it . think like a carp and don't tell no one your secret . formula trout chow ,grits,millit ,oatmeal, rice, is just a few things to get started on . I've got a lot of money tied up in rods and reels . mocville nc is the big money ponds $$$$$$$ for me.I've been a pro for26 years.. Get out there and just kick but .....
Tj k

Monroe, GA

#30 Mar 24, 2014
I need a good rubber rice
Tj k

Monroe, GA

#31 Mar 24, 2014
They lake i go to i buy it from the one that runs the lake i been fishing all year we caching carp but we can't seem to win I fished every weekend last year I need a good rubber rice bait and oatmeal bait and where I live it's been like 75 one day and the next day is like 50 so what should I be using and I need help making sorbenmial thanks.
kingfish

Candler, NC

#32 Apr 28, 2014
I fish spivey lake in fairveiw nc and would like someone 2 tell me a good ricebait and I would tell them. agreat chow.
Larry

Asheville, NC

#33 Apr 28, 2014
kingfish wrote:
I fish spivey lake in fairveiw nc and would like someone 2 tell me a good ricebait and I would tell them. agreat chow.
I'll give you a good rice bait since I don't fish your area and you aren't fishing mine. Instant rice (not the premium) 28 oz box of rice 52 oz catsup a tablespoon of salt then add your flavoring banana nut is what they are hitting now strawberry/ black cherry a little later on after the water heats up. mix it together and let it sit 12 hours before you throw it. you can throw all of it as it won't dry out on you. Lets hear that chow recipe.
Death Valley Mike

Pageland, SC

#34 Jun 19, 2014
Larry wrote:
I fish a pond right out of Monroe, NC. and we have some that just catch all night long and then there is me not catching nothing much at all. Using grits, rice trout chow and oats. My flavor is the problem. Don't know what really to use. Any help and I know that is a lot to ask, but it is the only place we can fish. My wife and I are both disabled and we can't go that much. Thanks
Larry I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread , but I will tell you that there is a science to making bait . The best carp bait I have ever seen is a simple cow terd ....believe it or not ! When it breaks down it's nothing more than grains and such , but pond owners will kick you out because it's not good for the pond/lake .
In the hot summers in SC here's the bait I've had really good luck with at 8 different tournament /pay lakes .
1 -28oz box of instant rice (make sure instant)
2 -24 oz bottles of cheap ketchup .
1 box strawberry jello
1 cup of kosher salt
4-5 cap fulls of strawberry butternut flavoring .(R&W Brand)

Mix all these together thouroughly 24 hours before use .
When it is mixed up it will look like soup and you will never believe it will pack .
But 24 hours later the ketchup will soak in and the rice will expand .
The jello will give it a semi rubbery texture .

Don't use sugar pops ! Use an unsweetened corn pop cereal .
Put the pop on a #1 red mustad and dip it in hot cinnamon flavor .

The rice resembles maggots (carps favorite food )

This is step by step what I fish at the lakes I will not name (lol)
Take the advice if you want , but over the past 3-4 years I've won approximately $10,000 with this recipe .
needmotime2fish

Lawrenceville, GA

#35 Mar 15, 2015
WGRUB wrote:
Lefty’s Carp Balls:
From what little I know,Lefty used this on the upper Potomac river primarily,not in ponds. Carp are not heavily fished there. I was out there last Saturday (with no carp bait) and there were at least 25 5# to 20# fat river carp swimming around (plus 50 14" smaller carp).
They would not bite what I was throwing (2" plastic curly tail bait.
I hope to try the bait out next weekend....
W
Used this bait back in the 1960s -- in the upper Potomac, mostly across from Harpers Ferry WV. Caught a ton back then (from 2 pounds to near 40 pounds), but it's probably worthless for use in a pay lake today.
I first read about it in Sports Afield in an article by Lefty Kreh, way back in 1965 or 66.
mark

United States

#36 Apr 4, 2015
Hello my carp friends this is carp commander I have caught many carp using my mellow fruita mixing this with my cholate in trout chow and cream style corn can use this method year round and yes use a corn pop with or with out flavor good luck this season to all hunter will be back this season after recovering from heart surgery doing well
Mark
Sooner

Lenoir, NC

#37 Apr 8, 2015
Good luck.
buffy1

Mocksville, NC

#38 Oct 4, 2015
CRS wrote:
So basically trout chow are fish pellets, from what I can tell.
Where do you buy trout chow? Local feed stores? Thanks for your help.
<quoted text>
some carp ponds wont let you use the #6 or #4 chow cause it has a tendency to float but most of them will let you use #2 or #3 also some pond owners will not let you use it at all or just certain times of year just depends on where your fishing at
Ralph Robustgas

Katy, TX

#39 Oct 4, 2015
When I takke a carp I usually Fart a lot too.
Not Quite Here

Lenoir, NC

#40 Oct 6, 2015
Getting closer I can tell. Not what I wanted. But this time.....
Collin Colonlips

United States

#41 Oct 6, 2015
Ralph Robustgas wrote:
When I takke a carp I usually Fart a lot too.
A carp is a fish, I like fish smelling nuts on my face.
Not Quite Here

Lenoir, NC

#42 Oct 6, 2015
They came over the border the hour before dawn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdese Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In just 2 months, Trump is the worst President ... 3 min southern at heart 124
Republicans Stiff Trump on Stupid FART Wall 3 hr Fart construction 4
Why do lesbians pick ugly women. (Jan '12) 3 hr Fart pole vault 71
Republicans Stiff Trump on Stupid Wall 3 hr Raises farts 14
Fart salad: I will fart coal for Trump 4 hr Coal dust farts 3
Supremacist FARTER in NDakota vows to rebuild c... 4 hr Supreme pizza farts 1
Trump Signs Executive FART Order Unwinding Obam... 4 hr Fart Signature 1

Valdese Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance