Daniel Boone

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Anybody on here do any carp fishing for money at any of the local ponds? Anyone have any good baits to share?
gv4l

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Lefty’s Carp Balls

More exotic formulas have been devised to catch carp and catfish than any other fish. One of the best carp doughball recipes comes from Lefty Kreh, the latter-20th-century’s "Godfather of Flyfishing," who got it from a local carpmeister. The key is Jell-O, preferably strawberry. The quick recipe is as follows:

Bring a pint of water to a boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in half a pack of strawberry Jell-O. Add two tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, dry-mix two cups of cornmeal and one cup of flour. Now sprinkle some of the dry-mix over the setting Jell-O. When a bubble appears, add more dry-mix. Keep doing that until all the dry-mix is used, stir for half a minute and then dump the goo on a sheet of aluminum foil. When it cools, knead it into a ball. Wrap the ball in foil or a big Ziploc bag and store it in the refrigerator, where it’ll keep for a week or so. On the water, simply break off bait-size pieces, knead into little balls and thread them onto the hook.

This was copied from Jerry Gibbs’ Fishing column in the February 2000 issue of Outdoor Life.
jbill

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Use to use molasses,horse and mule feed and corn starch as a binder.
Need to know temp of pond water. Mix molasses and feed with small amount of corn starch(about half five gallon bucket).Let set for four to seven days in closed bucket, when right will smell like liqour. To test: knead into small ball put in bowl of water about the same temp. as pond. Time it to find out time of break up. Time should be around 1-1and half minute. Add corn starch for more stiffness or less for quicker break up. To bait hook put sugar pops(2 or 3) on hook then form small bait ball around them,.If it falls of hook when cast nedd to add little more molasses.
Use to win with this years ago, might not work now.Cost could also be a factor now.
Daniel Boone

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

jbill wrote:
Use to use molasses,horse and mule feed and corn starch as a binder.
Need to know temp of pond water. Mix molasses and feed with small amount of corn starch(about half five gallon bucket).Let set for four to seven days in closed bucket, when right will smell like liqour. To test: knead into small ball put in bowl of water about the same temp. as pond. Time it to find out time of break up. Time should be around 1-1and half minute. Add corn starch for more stiffness or less for quicker break up. To bait hook put sugar pops(2 or 3) on hook then form small bait ball around them,.If it falls of hook when cast nedd to add little more molasses.
Use to win with this years ago, might not work now.Cost could also be a factor now.
sounds like a black pack molasses bait I used to make about ten years ago with chow. Boy are you right about the smell if its right it will knock your head off....
Daniel Boone

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

gv4l wrote:
Lefty’s Carp Balls
More exotic formulas have been devised to catch carp and catfish than any other fish. One of the best carp doughball recipes comes from Lefty Kreh, the latter-20th-century’s "Godfather of Flyfishing," who got it from a local carpmeister. The key is Jell-O, preferably strawberry. The quick recipe is as follows:
Bring a pint of water to a boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in half a pack of strawberry Jell-O. Add two tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, dry-mix two cups of cornmeal and one cup of flour. Now sprinkle some of the dry-mix over the setting Jell-O. When a bubble appears, add more dry-mix. Keep doing that until all the dry-mix is used, stir for half a minute and then dump the goo on a sheet of aluminum foil. When it cools, knead it into a ball. Wrap the ball in foil or a big Ziploc bag and store it in the refrigerator, where it’ll keep for a week or so. On the water, simply break off bait-size pieces, knead into little balls and thread them onto the hook.
This was copied from Jerry Gibbs’ Fishing column in the February 2000 issue of Outdoor Life.
Have you tried this out gv?
rusty

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Daniel Boone wrote:
<quoted text>Have you tried this out gv?
I know that I have argued with you on some of your posts before and know that your probally not going to listen to me this time but here go's
First the 2 baits these guy's are talking about were out of date in the 80's and are worthless at any pond that I know of (and i've fished them all in this area) the 2nd guy was right about the breakup time though but the ingredients are ancient. To fish now you need to learn how to make an oates bait a rice bait a trout chow bait a grits bait and a millet bait before you ever even get started plus you need the knowledge or dumb luck of deciding which one best suits the lake and time of year and water temp you are fishing.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Daniel Boone wrote:
<quoted text>Have you tried this out gv?
No I am sorry I have not. I should have mentioned that little fact. Thanks for asking... I would hate for you to have mixed that up for nothing.
Maybe go down to the college and buy a couple of science teachers,(Biology & Chemistry), a cup of coffee and see what they think. Take some doughnuts to go with their coffee… Get them all high on sugar and caffeine and they will probably come up something.
Daniel Boone

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Judged:

GV4L wrote:
<quoted text>
No I am sorry I have not. I should have mentioned that little fact. Thanks for asking... I would hate for you to have mixed that up for nothing.
Maybe go down to the college and buy a couple of science teachers,(Biology & Chemistry), a cup of coffee and see what they think. Take some doughnuts to go with their coffee… Get them all high on sugar and caffeine and they will probably come up something.
if you go to a money pond around here gv...those old men have PHDs in bait making. I can make a sugarpop swim by itself like a little motor boat by putting some oil on it. These men will NOT tell you jack. This is a very competitive sport. I have seen fights and even pistols pulled at some.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2009

Daniel Boone wrote:
<quoted text>if you go to a money pond around here gv...those old men have PHDs in bait making. I can make a sugarpop swim by itself like a little motor boat by putting some oil on it. These men will NOT tell you jack. This is a very competitive sport. I have seen fights and even pistols pulled at some.
LOL... I know what you mean... they're not going to tell you anything! Contact the good folks in the science department of NCSU and ask them if they can help.
countrygal

Hickory, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2009

Rusty is right, those are the best bait. I know when I use to go to my brother-in-law's carp lake, he would fix me the rice bait. It has been a few years since I have gone, but I would talk to some of the seasoned fishermen and they told me the best flavoring to use would be what was in season, like strawberry season use strawberry flavoring, blackberry, blackberry flavoring, ect, ect. if none in season try different ones like butternut, vanilla, ect.
WGRUB

Potomac, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Lefty’s Carp Balls:
From what little I know,Lefty used this on the upper Potomac river primarily,not in ponds. Carp are not heavily fished there. I was out there last Saturday (with no carp bait) and there were at least 25 5# to 20# fat river carp swimming around (plus 50 14" smaller carp).
They would not bite what I was throwing (2" plastic curly tail bait.
I hope to try the bait out next weekend....
W
logan spears

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Get 2 boxes of grits in a bucket pour a can of cream style corn a a can of kernel corn, then mix 1-5 lid fulls of flavoring.
logan spears

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Or buy a 28oz bottle of ketchup and a 32oz box of minute made rice.
First pour the ketchup in a pot that can be put on the stove. Then fill the bottle back up with water and pour in there.
Next get the ketchup to a boil.
After its at a boil pour the rice in the ketchup.
Next is the most important step take the pot off the stove and put a LID ON FOR 30 MINUTES AND DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. Hope these helps..
Rusty

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

You can use any flavoring you like this is a pineapple one he also tells about cooking the rice so that you can use it faster. This is a straight up video on the basics of rice baits. BUT REMEMBER each fisherman has his own little special touch that he swears by you will just have to take it and run with it. BTW the hotter it gets outside the better the rice works. It's def a dog day bait.
Marsha

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2012

I ysed to date a guy whose father used strawberry Slim Fast in his. I'm not sure what all else was in it though.
And you are right, these baits smell horrible!
But maybe there is something up with the strawberry though, since it has been mentioned before.
Good Luck!
Larry

Pageland, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2012

I fish a pond right out of Monroe, NC. and we have some that just catch all night long and then there is me not catching nothing much at all. Using grits, rice trout chow and oats. My flavor is the problem. Don't know what really to use. Any help and I know that is a lot to ask, but it is the only place we can fish. My wife and I are both disabled and we can't go that much. Thanks
richard

Mount Pleasant, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

we fish at the local ponds here in central nc and have won alot of money lately and caught some big fish with the simplest bait to make try this larry and let me know how it works for you.
1 bag of chow #2 works best
1 can of creamstyle corn
mello fruity flavoring
put chow in a bucket put half a bottle of mello fruity flavoring in chow and mix well. wait 30 mins stir up chow and add 1/4 can of corn. put something hut in the pop and hold on
CRS

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

What is Chow #2? Is this a feed store item or grocery? It seems that carp are as picky as people..........
richard wrote:
we fish at the local ponds here in central nc and have won alot of money lately and caught some big fish with the simplest bait to make try this larry and let me know how it works for you.
1 bag of chow #2 works best
1 can of creamstyle corn
mello fruity flavoring
put chow in a bucket put half a bottle of mello fruity flavoring in chow and mix well. wait 30 mins stir up chow and add 1/4 can of corn. put something hut in the pop and hold on
Rusty

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

CRS wrote:
What is Chow #2? Is this a feed store item or grocery? It seems that carp are as picky as people..........
<quoted text>
It's a chow size #2 is small pellet chow I'm assuming that the guy is saying to use it whole not ground. You might want to check with the owner of the lake you are fishing first though as a lot of lakes in this area don't allow you to use whole chow.
CRS

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Judged:

So basically trout chow are fish pellets, from what I can tell.
Where do you buy trout chow? Local feed stores? Thanks for your help.
Rusty wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a chow size #2 is small pellet chow I'm assuming that the guy is saying to use it whole not ground. You might want to check with the owner of the lake you are fishing first though as a lot of lakes in this area don't allow you to use whole chow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Valdese Discussions

Search the Valdese Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Lenoir, NC (Aug '10) 1 hr really 54
Caldwell County says goodby to Willard Blevins,... 1 hr the truth ruth 2
chris and charity huffman 3 hr Notgood 3
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 6 hr waco1909 54,884
steve reid construction (Jun '13) 14 hr Charlie 17
Police: Lenoir man charged with murder 14 hr AprilSammysNiece 44
DA Race: Don't forget to go vote! 17 hr TSF 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Valdese Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••