Property tax evluation

Posted in the Valdese Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned citizen

Greer, SC

#1 Mar 5, 2013
Does anyone else feel that the property tax evaluation was another strong arm tactic use by the county? How can it be that property taxes go up when real estate values continually go down? And then, the options are to protest with the option of it either going down, staying the same, or "going up!" From everyone I spoke with, they were advised that those who protested would basically be made an example of. To me this is government at its worst. How can property values go up, when real estate values deflate year over year (with no bottom in sight!)
wonder

Maiden, NC

#2 Mar 6, 2013
Concerned citizen wrote:
Does anyone else feel that the property tax evaluation was another strong arm tactic use by the county? How can it be that property taxes go up when real estate values continually go down? And then, the options are to protest with the option of it either going down, staying the same, or "going up!" From everyone I spoke with, they were advised that those who protested would basically be made an example of. To me this is government at its worst. How can property values go up, when real estate values deflate year over year (with no bottom in sight!)
The state reguires proptry evaluation every 7 years or so I was told . don't like it butthats life
run on

Hickory, NC

#3 Mar 6, 2013
wonder wrote:
<quoted text>The state reguires proptry evaluation every 7 years or so I was told . don't like it butthats life
most counties do it every 4, but are required to every 8, the past commissioners held off doing it in hopes of being re-elected, but all it did was cause our values to increase that much more all at one time.

The Board of Equalization and Review is made up of non-elected persons and believe it or not is split between Dems and Pubs IIRC.
LULZ

Morganton, NC

#4 Mar 6, 2013
My value went DOWN $40,000 believe it or not. I think I deserve a re-fund for the last 12 years.
tom

Maiden, NC

#5 Mar 7, 2013
LULZ wrote:
My value went DOWN $40,000 believe it or not. I think I deserve a re-fund for the last 12 years.
you must live in a trailor.
Defender

Lenoir, NC

#6 Mar 8, 2013
My value went down $2000.00 and no I don't live in a "trailor" (lol).
tom

Maiden, NC

#7 Mar 8, 2013
Defender wrote:
My value went down $2000.00 and no I don't live in a "trailor" (lol).
I do know trailers lose their value every year.wasn't trying to be mean
Bubba

Four Oaks, NC

#8 Mar 8, 2013
tom wrote:
<quoted text>you must live in a trailor.
Taxes will raised in your county in order to educate those that do not know how to correctly spell "trailer".
Service without paying

Mount Holly, NC

#9 Mar 8, 2013
Trialer Park on Roselle Pl.gets free trash pickup from the City of Lenoir.I'm sure they're more things like this going on.For all I know they could be getting water and sewer too.The Trialer Park is on the City line, so they get FREE pickup.Thought the Tax Payers of Lenoir should know, they're paying for the good ole boy club.It has been reported and stop for a week and starts right back up.Should be annex into city limit,but its easier just to go up on your taxes to pay for it.Things like this should be looked into.After all isn't this the job we pay our government to do?Really earn their money!
DonkyDong

Lenoir, NC

#10 Mar 8, 2013
Mine dropped $11,000 in Morganton. This place is dieing under Mel's watch. I bet they jack up the tax rate per $100 so we will still have to pay the same.
Same property tax bill

Lincolnton, NC

#11 Mar 8, 2013
The county/city will need the same amount of tax money coming in from you. So if property values have gone down, tax rates will go up to make the tax bill the same.

For example:
$100,000 property taxed at 50 cents per $100 will be a bill of $500.

Same property valued at $80,000 will probably get taxed at 62.5 cents per $100 for same bill of $500.

Wait and see if property values are down the tax rate will be raised to make up the difference.
TSF

Angier, NC

#12 Mar 8, 2013
With Burke ccpouty going down on the average of 15% in their vauation and Wilkes County going down 7% in their evaluation, Caldwell went UP 15%.
The commissioners didn't want to be blamed for the tax increase, so they had the "evluation" go up, which is a tax increase. But they claim they didn't raise taxes and the straight ticket idiots believe it.

Yes , evaluations have to be done every 8 years. That doesn't mean i the valuations have t go up, especially wn property values have gone down.
Concerned citizen wrote:
TSF

Angier, NC

#13 Mar 8, 2013
Property valuations are UP on the avearge of 15% in Caldwell, some properties up by more than 100%. This mysteriously happened in a depression with depressed property values of around 20%. Caldwell citizens just got another arrow up their @$$ compliments of the Kommissioners.
Same property tax bill wrote:
The county/city will need the same amount of tax money coming in from you. So if property values have gone down, tax rates will go up to make the tax bill the same.
For example:
$100,000 property taxed at 50 cents per $100 will be a bill of $500.
Same property valued at $80,000 will probably get taxed at 62.5 cents per $100 for same bill of $500.
Wait and see if property values are down the tax rate will be raised to make up the difference.
Same property tax bill

Lincolnton, NC

#14 Mar 8, 2013
Yep, the only true measure as to whether your property tax went up or not is not related to the property's value or the tax rate on the property but the amount of the check you write to pay the taxes. Is it more than last year? Then you're paying more in taxes no matter how they manipulate the billing process.
sumtimeziwunder

Lenoir, NC

#15 Mar 8, 2013
Can't help but wonder if the intent is to cause majority in CC that owns property to lose it so that the whole area be scrapped and the big tourist attraction town be built..if that even has
possibility of being true, somebody will have a lot of cabbage to put in the dish.
taxpayer

Ferguson, NC

#16 Mar 8, 2013
run on wrote:
<quoted text>
most counties do it every 4, but are required to every 8, the past commissioners held off doing it in hopes of being re-elected, but all it did was cause our values to increase that much more all at one time.
The Board of Equalization and Review is made up of non-elected persons and believe it or not is split between Dems and Pubs IIRC.
Except in the past this board was made up or realtors, the ones who directly benefit from higher property tax values in convencing buyers to purchase at inflated prices.
TSF

Angier, NC

#17 Mar 8, 2013
Present board

Labrose-realtor republican
Bollinger- realtor republican
Barlowe- bankrupt contractor republican
Church-republican converted to democrat converted again to republican
Branch- Store owner republican

. Look at actual sale values of properties around you. Most are consistently BELOW even the previous evaluation. You just got a 15% tax increase up the back door, compliments of republikan kommissioners.
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Except in the past this board was made up or realtors, the ones who directly benefit from higher property tax values in convencing buyers to purchase at inflated prices.
LULZ

Morganton, NC

#18 Mar 8, 2013
tom wrote:
<quoted text>you must live in a trailor.
Nope. 2900 square foot house. Brick too.
tom

Forest City, NC

#19 Mar 9, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Taxes will raised in your county in order to educate those that do not know how to correctly spell "trailer".
wrong key...sorry
tom

Forest City, NC

#20 Mar 10, 2013
TSF wrote:
Present board
Labrose-realtor republican
Bollinger- realtor republican
Barlowe- bankrupt contractor republican
Church-republican converted to democrat converted again to republican
Branch- Store owner republican
. Look at actual sale values of properties around you. Most are consistently BELOW even the previous evaluation. You just got a 15% tax increase up the back door, compliments of republikan kommissioners.
<quoted text>
Ladrose is not a realtor he sells insurance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdese Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
California to save the world from dairy cows 2 min southern at heart 12
Granite falls Mcdonland's 8 min southern at heart 5
"Twittering Trump Troll " 10 min southern at heart 56
Animal Controls Useless (Aug '11) 18 min Canine sniper 26
wilson shane Beddingfield 52 min Ashton 1
Unemployment at 4.6 as 95 million leave workf... 4 hr Percy Crump 5
To All Fools Voting For Trump 6 hr David53g 179

Valdese Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance