Old Valdese High School

Posted in the Valdese Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marie Parsons

Benson, NC

#1 Jul 5, 2009
It is so sad to see the windows broken. I remember this school, so full of life and students, loud and so full of sounds and actions.
I Remember

Fayetteville, NC

#2 Sep 2, 2009
Jimmy Jacimun owns this property and refuses to do anything with it. There is an old school in Bakersville which was turned into a motel, community hall for meetings, a rec. center outside. The rooms are very nice, and each year they put a Christmas tree in every room- they use the old library for that same purpose. There are several apartments on the first floor- to keep up with monthly expenses, during slow times. Also, that area- has a group who paints quilt patterns on buildings, which are beautiful. Why can't Jacimun start a group to at least- cover the old windows with art work, to take the drab look away from the mess. He is cheap and non caring about this building. I beleive it is too late to save the building, however something needs to be done- it is an eyesore and a disgusting mess for those of us who remember when- Do something Jacimun, how can you add this to your Jim Baker looking-attraction that people will not pay to drive-thru. You can drive down Church Street and see all you need to see. Are you a caring, Christian man or are you a monster, holding out for MONEY
I wish

Fayetteville, NC

#3 Sep 25, 2009
Sell the building to someone who cares, ask 5 bucks for it and you will make a 4 buck profit. Allow the town to profit from a project- we need so much to draw people to Valdese. We need a motel and the person writting the above article appears to have a great ideas for a finished product and a project for hiding the mess until the motel could be completed. MY QUESTION IS WHY Jacimun refuses to coorporate with anyone- Why don't you want anything done with the eyesore. I stand amazed at your lack of concern. In my openion if you refuse to do anything the property should be condemed and torn down like the old Ribet Motel. Is it because you have political influence? I am sure there are people in the area who would invest in this- I am sad, you just let the building set-until it falls to the ground. Why don't you have memoeies of this great and wonderful piece of history- and it is in your heritage. Name it after yourself, no one will care about the name, just do something, so we can take pride in our community once again. Look at the old plants around town and people are attempting to use them, ex. old john louis plant- used as an aution house, old pineburr mill used as a furniture store and old Alba used as a furniture store, even Crestline found a user for that building. You have allowed to let this building set til it is crumbling and every student who attended is amazed at you lack of attention. This building and the old Tron Building at the corner of Main & Church should be plowed to the ground. NOW
YEP

Morganton, NC

#4 Oct 1, 2009
I agree and also think that the apts. across from them look bad.

“Thug-Jitsu Expert ”

Since: Sep 08

Newton NC

#5 Oct 6, 2009
The Apartments across the street is church street apartments . It is housing low income .
Burkemont

Greenville, SC

#6 Oct 9, 2009
Jacumin was offered money to sell building but refused.
There was also an organization that services deaf and blind to take over building, but Jacumin also refused to let it go. The town threatened to condemn property, but Jacumin put up some boards and chicken wire to stop that.

“Thug-Jitsu Expert ”

Newton NC

#7 Oct 9, 2009
And the purpose being ? Motive ?
king

Clarksville, TN

#8 Oct 15, 2009
Marie Parsons wrote:
It is so sad to see the windows broken. I remember this school, so full of life and students, loud and so full of sounds and actions.
hi

“Thug-Jitsu Expert ”

Newton NC

#9 Oct 16, 2009
Here is another link that shows bigger pictures that I uploaded last year .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/valdese12/
GOP

United States

#10 Oct 19, 2009
I Remember wrote:
Jimmy Jacimun owns this property and refuses to do anything with it. There is an old school in Bakersville which was turned into a motel, community hall for meetings, a rec. center outside. The rooms are very nice, and each year they put a Christmas tree in every room- they use the old library for that same purpose. There are several apartments on the first floor- to keep up with monthly expenses, during slow times. Also, that area- has a group who paints quilt patterns on buildings, which are beautiful. Why can't Jacimun start a group to at least- cover the old windows with art work, to take the drab look away from the mess. He is cheap and non caring about this building. I beleive it is too late to save the building, however something needs to be done- it is an eyesore and a disgusting mess for those of us who remember when- Do something Jacimun, how can you add this to your Jim Baker looking-attraction that people will not pay to drive-thru. You can drive down Church Street and see all you need to see. Are you a caring, Christian man or are you a monster, holding out for MONEY
He for JIMMYBOY!
Girlfriend

Midland, NC

#11 Oct 21, 2009
Did Jimmy Ray once own the old Rock School and make it into a creative arts center? This old school looks like it should be torn down and something modern put back in its place.
marie

United States

#12 Oct 23, 2009
Marie Parsons wrote:
hey mama love u.
Kenny

Arrington, TN

#13 Oct 25, 2009
Marie Parsons wrote:
Please help the school.
John Burns

Safety Harbor, FL

#14 Apr 3, 2010
I left Valdese in 1967 for college and with the exception of infrequent weekend visits every 5 or 6 years, I really haven't been back. The one constant sight in my infrequent visits is the deterioration of the old high school. Very sad.
Memories, good or bad, deserve a better ending than this. Tear it down, turn it into a park, open an adult education facility, run pony rides....just do something!
Maurys100

Titusville, FL

#15 Jun 2, 2010
It is really quite sad that this building cannot be used for something instead of sitting idle for the most part since 1977 if I am correct on the date. Unfortunately, every empty high school building cannot be saved and are sometimes only good for that. It certainly has substantial parking and there are the three other buildings which could be of use.

These structures were built extremely well and at least they are still there. It would probably take an extra heavy wrecking ball to tear them down. I believe the high school was built and furnished for $75,000.00 and would probably cost $750,000.00 to update them at the least.

If Mr. Jacumin decides to raze the buildings I am should hope he gives people the chance to buy a brick for a keepsake. What other use would the man have for the property? One of these days the man will surprise everyone!
Joe Williams

Holly Springs, NC

#16 Dec 25, 2011
Jim's wife got sick and he actually gave it to trail of faith which has a board, I think, so it was out of his hands when they offered. Jeff never should have sold it for $5 to start with. I would have paid 10g for it and would have been forced to update it and use it. If you have nothing in it there is no pressure. By the way does anyone have any old Valdese High School items they would sell like, sports equipment, posters, anything? Thanks Joe
Leland Mull

New Albany, IN

#18 Feb 22, 2012
Marie Parsons wrote:
If anyone knows where I can get a Valdese H.S. Letterman Jacket, please let me know. My dad went to school there , class of 1961. His name is Sonny Mull. This would make an awesome gift.
Any information would be helpful,
Thanks,
Leland [email protected]
Sad to See

Lenoir, NC

#19 Jun 21, 2012
I went to this school around 1980 to 1983. It was an out of date old school back then. It was a jr high school, grades 7, 8 and 9th. There is an elementary school next door, that is still in use today. I attended that school as well.
pat

Candler, NC

#20 Aug 29, 2013
I agree. I went to school there and have special memories of it.
I do not understand Jacimun holding on to this and letting it fall down. Valdese has tried so hard all these years to attract more people and businesses to this area. I would not want to move here either with all the eye sores. The Alba, John Louis , Crestline.. all of them hold precious memories for a lot of people. It hurts to see something neglected like this, Shame on you Jim Jacimun.
I wish wrote:
Sell the building to someone who cares, ask 5 bucks for it and you will make a 4 buck profit. Allow the town to profit from a project- we need so much to draw people to Valdese. We need a motel and the person writting the above article appears to have a great ideas for a finished product and a project for hiding the mess until the motel could be completed. MY QUESTION IS WHY Jacimun refuses to coorporate with anyone- Why don't you want anything done with the eyesore. I stand amazed at your lack of concern. In my openion if you refuse to do anything the property should be condemed and torn down like the old Ribet Motel. Is it because you have political influence? I am sure there are people in the area who would invest in this- I am sad, you just let the building set-until it falls to the ground. Why don't you have memoeies of this great and wonderful piece of history- and it is in your heritage. Name it after yourself, no one will care about the name, just do something, so we can take pride in our community once again. Look at the old plants around town and people are attempting to use them, ex. old john louis plant- used as an aution house, old pineburr mill used as a furniture store and old Alba used as a furniture store, even Crestline found a user for that building. You have allowed to let this building set til it is crumbling and every student who attended is amazed at you lack of attention. This building and the old Tron Building at the corner of Main & Church should be plowed to the ground. NOW
barhopper14

Hickory, NC

#21 Nov 22, 2014
Marie Parsons wrote:
yes i know i went there in 1980 so sad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdese Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Raquel so called LA mariposa & Mindy stinky Mar... 22 min Chassidy 2
Wasserman-Schultz staffer arrested 4 hr David53g 8
97 of 100 Poorest Counties are Republican 5 hr David53g 121
Judge clears way for Trump voter commission 6 hr Guest 15
FlatLine's Last Post Wins 2017 (Lenoir Edition) (Jan '17) 6 hr rennet 294
Trump's Gay Lover New Press Secretary 7 hr waco1909 10
Celebrities pitch hissy fit over Trump transgen... 7 hr waco1909 7

Valdese Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance