truck wreck on mountain rd

truck wreck on mountain rd

Posted in the Valdese Forum

johnny

Lyman, SC

#1 May 22, 2013
it was on wbtv but not in news topic,where was the wreck,and somebody got air lifted???
Jovi

Lebanon, VA

#2 May 22, 2013
CALDWELL COUNTY, NC (WBTV)- A Caldwell County man may have walked as far as 18 miles overnight before he found a place where he could call for help after a traffic accident.

Phillip Holman was one of three people in a pickup truck that was traveling up a forest service road in Northwestern Caldwell County when it went off the road and 60 feet down the hillside into a ravine. Holman and a woman were able to get out of the wreckage, but one man, who has not been identified, had serious injuries to his back, neck and rib cage.

Their cell phones could not pick up any service and in the pitch darkness, they felt it was too dangerous to hike anywhere but on the road. Holman said he felt he needed to walk out to try to get some help while the woman stayed behind with the injured man.

By mid-morning, Holman had reached a country store and was able to call his mother. "He told me he had been walking for ten hours," said Donna Holman.

At the same time, the woman who had been at the scene could see a path up a hillside and hike along it and tried her cell phone. Eventually she got a signal so she called for help as well.

The injured man was taken by ambulance to Caldwell Memorial Hospital where a medical helicopter was waiting to take him to a trauma center in Tennessee. The man's injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

North Carolina Troopers are investigating the accident but have not had a chance to speak with everyone who was inside the vehicle at the time of the wreck. They want to find out exactly how the accident happened and what the trio was doing on such a desolate road at midnight.

In any case, authorities say the group was lucky because it can be days in between traffic on the forest road they were on. "If no one could have walked out, there's a chance no one would have found them," said one rescuer.
Duh

Banner Elk, NC

#3 May 22, 2013
The guy had to be airlifted all the way to Tennessee?

And after walking 10 hours to a phone, he called his mom? How old were these people?
Sandra

Banner Elk, NC

#4 May 22, 2013
Isn't this Holman guy the same one that was driving a pickup on Baton Church Rd couple if years ago that killed the guy with him? He rolled the truck and it caught fire. His passenger was trapped inside.
Yep

Rocky Mount, NC

#5 May 23, 2013
Yep that's the same travis holman. I guess he got lucky this time and didn't have to have memory loss to remember who was driving. funny the girl got cell service soon after getting out of the wreck. wasn't he charged with dui in the other wreck? plead guilty too i think. but never charged with death by vehicle. hummm think being close friends with the bollingers might play into all this. makes you wonder, brings up all sorts of questions about this families ethics.
duh

Banner Elk, NC

#6 May 23, 2013
Why do you think the first person he called was mommy? They have always bought him out of trouble. Anybody remember the incident with the boy on the hay baler with Travis, I think he was killed too. They were in their teens and this boy supposedly fell into the baler.
Yep

Rocky Mount, NC

#7 May 23, 2013
Missed the one on the hay baler. When was that? Maybe that's where all the cats and dogs go over on Hickory Nut Ridge also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Valdese Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drain the swamp? 45 min waco1909 133
97 of 100 Poorest Counties are Republican 1 hr David53g 117
FlatLine's Last Post Wins 2017 (Lenoir Edition) (Jan '17) 1 hr texas pete 291
Judge clears way for Trump voter commission 2 hr waco1909 13
Trump's Gay Lover New Press Secretary 2 hr TSF 7
Fox News Blasts Trump Lies 3 hr TSF 73
We All Still Love Waco & His Trolls 14 hr waco1909 11

Valdese Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance