Thinking of moving out to Vail

Posted in the Vail Forum

Bornforco

Rochester, NY

#1 Aug 5, 2009
Hey all,
I live in Ny now and I am plainning to move out to Vail after i graduate College next year. I am not worried about a job because my uncle lived out there for 26 years and can get me in. I am just wondering what you all think of Vail or if there is any better place for a 22 year old who wants to live a snowboarding/biking/hiking, lifestyle??

Thanks
bjreed

Arlington, TX

#2 Sep 2, 2009
Hmm. I am afraid you do not understand Vail people. They would never respond to an up-front/honest question such as you asked. What you would need to do would be to just make the move, try to get a job via your uncle, and settle in. You simply cannot come on like gangbusters; they do not trust outsiders. If you really want to do it, just go and try to make a place for yourself. It is a beautiful, beautiful place, but you must remember to contribute to the community as much as you take from it. That is the way it is done. And be prepared for a hefty apt. fee/parking fee/skiing tag. It is an extremely costly place to live. Now, all that said, I say, "You go for it." Oh, and by the way, I have no idea what your major is, but just be prepared to be a clerk in a store at the very best. It is the cost you pay for living in Paradise.
VailColorado

London, UK

#3 Nov 3, 2009
Bornforco wrote:
Hey all,
I live in Ny now and I am plainning to move out to Vail after i graduate College next year. I am not worried about a job because my uncle lived out there for 26 years and can get me in. I am just wondering what you all think of Vail or if there is any better place for a 22 year old who wants to live a snowboarding/biking/hiking, lifestyle??
Thanks
Dear God: Vail is such an easy place to find a job, and a place to live. Try Vail Resorts for employment, and they will have employment housing. Or, just check the local paper, online ( vaildaily.com ) and you will have zero problems finiding a great place in which to live. The previous post must have been from someone who tried to move in the late 1980s or early 1990s, when housing was scarce. Times have changed, and thus, you will love it in Vail!!
Flip

United States

#4 Jan 25, 2010
bjreed wrote:
Hmm. I am afraid you do not understand Vail people. They would never respond to an up-front/honest question such as you asked. What you would need to do would be to just make the move, try to get a job via your uncle, and settle in. You simply cannot come on like gangbusters; they do not trust outsiders. If you really want to do it, just go and try to make a place for yourself. It is a beautiful, beautiful place, but you must remember to contribute to the community as much as you take from it. That is the way it is done. And be prepared for a hefty apt. fee/parking fee/skiing tag. It is an extremely costly place to live. Now, all that said, I say, "You go for it." Oh, and by the way, I have no idea what your major is, but just be prepared to be a clerk in a store at the very best. It is the cost you pay for living in Paradise.
well, there are two kinds of people in vail. uppity a-holes like this, and laid back snowboarders. you'll find a place to fit in. unless you are an accountant, this person is right about the employment situation. you'll be paid much more doing menial jobs than other places in the USA though. i lived in an apartment/shopping complex called chapel square and my rent was $1,250 a month! unless you find a job that with great pay, you will need 2 jobs or roommates... the place really is a paradise. it is like living in a disney movie. its always fun, its clean, and there is no crime. i wish i had never left. go for it, living there is an experience like no other. i rank it just above hawaii on a long list of places ive lived
Cleveland OH

Mentor, OH

#5 Apr 14, 2010
VailColorado wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear God: Vail is such an easy place to find a job, and a place to live. Try Vail Resorts for employment, and they will have employment housing. Or, just check the local paper, online ( vaildaily.com ) and you will have zero problems finiding a great place in which to live. The previous post must have been from someone who tried to move in the late 1980s or early 1990s, when housing was scarce. Times have changed, and thus, you will love it in Vail!!
Would you be able to post a link or have a name to contact with Vail Resorts?

I went out to Vail last spring. The people were amazing. As long as you're not an a-hole just out there to crowd up their bars. Even though they say they are a drinking town with a ski problem, it seemed that if you were a nice person and were there to ride or ski as priority #1 you would be taken care of.

I was talking to a guy in a bus stop and he offered to meet up and show me around the mountain.

Plan on movin out there at the end of summer and any help I can get would be great

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Nov 1 Jakg667 1
UFOs sighted over Colorado mountains: Formation... Oct '14 Messed Up Mess 5
Bonidy v. United States: The Second Amendment a... Oct '14 Here are REAL ones 28
soulshine Aug '14 pusherman_ 1
Beloved Summit County high school student faces... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Really 2
City Market (Mar '14) Mar '14 JoAnn 1
Supporting Vail's vision... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Lisa 1

Winter Storm Warning for Eagle County was issued at November 22 at 8:57PM MST

Vail Dating
Find my Match

Vail People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Vail News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Vail

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:35 pm PST

ESPN 1:35PM
Fitzgerald game-time decision for Cardinals
NBC Sports 3:26 PM
Bobby Wagner set to return for Seahawks - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:05 PM
Will Larry Fitzgerald be ready to go in Week 12?
NBC Sports10:16 AM
DeMarcus Ware added to injury report, listed as probable
NBC Sports12:47 PM
Eric Decker admits it's tough to see Emmanuel Sanders's success