QOTD: Mountain rail line proposal

QOTD: Mountain rail line proposal

There are 30 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Sep 2, 2009, titled QOTD: Mountain rail line proposal. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

Wednesday's Question of the Day is about the idea of buiding a train line from the Front Range to some of Colorado's most popular mountain destinations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
elias

United States

#21 Sep 2, 2009
we might as weel if we are using so called stimulus money(exaggeration). i just know it will take a long time to complete and traffic congestion would stay like that for 5-10 years in my opinion. i think it would be cheaper to expand the lanes along i 70
elias

United States

#22 Sep 2, 2009
Charlie Hatch wrote:
In Europe they usa trains to commute from country to country, on the east coast they can commute from state and on the west coast you can go from city to city. In Coloado we have started in our cities with ways to get around. Now we need to get ways to get the cities connected. Denver has a good rail system starting, Colorado Springs is working on theirs, Summit County has has a good free bus system, Vail to Avon is easy, Glennwood to Aspen but you need a car to get them togeather. We need to connect these locations so we can bget alot of cars off the roads. Yes it is a lot of money, but so is all the highway repairs. I have thgought for many years we should have a rail system like this. Lets get it done.
you forget that in europe everything is subsidized by the governement so cost isnt much of an issue since it is the people paying for it not many people own cars in europe for that reason(cant afford one)and im not willing to get taxed a whole lot of my paycheck if it means government subsidies for this and that and whatever else they plan on doing. expanding road would be cheaper and allow the freedoms we enjoy of driving ourselves.
elias

United States

#23 Sep 2, 2009
Politically Incorrect wrote:
If engineers are estimating 15 billion, by the time the state gets through adding their pork it will be 25 billion. Are you ready to get your taxes raised?
But it is necessary. Think of the number of cars it will take off the road. Think of the lives that will be saved from accidents involving DUI's. Of course, there's no real way to accurately measure that.
The down side to this will be that illegal aliens will have an even quicker way to get to Denver as they invade the state from the west, or spread out to the western slope as they invade the state from the south and further destroy the state. Drug smugglers will have a bonanza with this new avenue to transposrt and deliver their contributions to society.
The state will have to implement a security and screening service for the trains, probably law enforcement like New York's transit police, with drug sniffing dogs and police in every car. Since the money will no doubt come from the fed's to build this thing, they will become involved. Add another 5 billion in pork, kickbacks, corruption, and bribery. Ands if the fed's are involved, the unions will get a front row seat. Add another 5 billion in pork, kickbacks, corruption, bribery...
And wouldn't it be nice if there was implemented and strictly enforced a policy of NO ILLEGAL ALIENS allowed on board!!!
wow! while i agree with some of your opinions i cannnot take you seriously with your very clear hatred, anger , ignorant claim about illegal aliens. more percentage of them come to work and not demoralize or deliberatley screw our country. so when you stop blaming illegals for things i will be more than glad to take you seriously.
Mountainair

Aspen, CO

#24 Sep 2, 2009
There is now, today, a train line from Denver to Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction.

One can buy a ticket any day, now.

There was a train to Winter Park. What happened ? Too expensive to operate ?

There is a train bed to Minturn near Vail. What happened ? Too slow ?

Use the existing lines, not new ones.

Trains can not go up nor down steep inclines fast.

People can carry more stuff in their private vehicle : ski equipment, camping gear, boats...that will not travel easily by train to your remote campsite.

Colorado and America is broke : BTW.
raysmom2

Pueblo, CO

#25 Sep 2, 2009
elias- I didn't see hate anywhere in PI's post. Anger, perhaps, but rightfully so. No other country allows this, especially not Mexico! It isn't bigotry- it's socio-economic fact that The illegal alien work force, depressing American wages, is very much a part of pushing the United States into the third-world status of the very rich and very poor with no middle class. That politicians like George Bush, John McCain, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton don’t want to remove the 38 million illegal aliens from this country is not because they do jobs Americans won’t do but because they are afraid of the loss of the Hispanic vote that keeps them in power, and the control it gives them over middlle class Anerica.

And counter to the claims of Bush and Obama both, the cost of the 38,000,000 illegal alien criminals far exceeds any economic benefit. With the illegal alien invasion has come crime and related costs; disease heretofore eradicated in America; degradation of entire neighborhoods; economic recession due, in part, to the depressed wage market; and the costs to educate, house, and address the health issues (including the costs of anchor babies) of the criminal illegal alien population at the expense of legal American taxpayers, including legal immigrants.

The Bell Policy Center (a Colorado progressive thinktank) studied ow much illegal aliens pay in taxes in CO. It based its calculations on national models of taxation and costs. The study used figures that at least 50 percent of illegal immigrant households work "on the books" and therefore have taxes withheld.

In that scenario, Colorado's estimated 225,000 to 275,000 illegal immigrants paid at least $159 million to $194 million in total taxes.

Offset that with the study by Defend Colorado Now, which promoted the initiative to cut off services to illegal immigrants. That examination showed that mandated services to illegal immigrants cost at least $1 billion, without considering the lowered taxes being paid due to out of work citizens, and wage depression.

This group's study, released in March, was a compilation of 27 other studies on varied aspects of the immigration issue, he said.

While I agree that many illegal immigrants, probably most, actually, are here to improve their living conditions, it doesn't change the fact that we are carrying a huge burden for them that threatens all of our interests, including theirs. Many are actually trying to go back to Mexico in this economy, and the Mexican gov't is very angry with us for that. Why? Because we have been doing their job for them, and as much as I wish we had unlimited resources, we do not. It's not hate- it's just the way it is.
dan

Englewood, CO

#26 Sep 2, 2009
Imagine this; you buy a ski pass that includes rides on the train for the season. So you scan your pass in Denver, then scan the same pass to ride the lifts. Fun Fun Fun
GoldenResident

Denver, CO

#27 Sep 2, 2009
YES! YES! YES! Especially since the Ski Train is gone.
raysmom2

Pueblo, CO

#28 Sep 2, 2009
Why did the ski train close? That was fun. There is also the train that goes through the Moffat Tunnel- Amtrack would make a bundle developing that into a ski commuter.
Elbert

Kiowa, CO

#29 Sep 2, 2009
Personally, wouldn't use it for my family, nor would most I know.
We've never headed through the mountains without a pickup full of gear, and pulling a trailer.
However it would eliminate ski traffic, only providing each resort had a rail terminal, or stop.
Not sure money would be wiser spent in adding lanes to 70 like should have been done 30 years ago. Our Gov at the time was noted with his famous saying "if we don't build roads people won't come". Well no roads and people came.
Also, we had the winter Olympics a few decades back but the same attitude powered by environmentalists turned them down.
It would have been a fraction of the cost to build-out back then rather than today, look at Salt Lake City and Seattle.
Elbert

Kiowa, CO

#30 Sep 2, 2009
Hey Mom.
The ski train was a blast, kinda pricy but worth it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hike some non-14ers this summer Jul 4 ELISE GINGERICH 1
Minturn land swap Mar '16 Frank 1
News Police: Man punched skier on Beaver Creek (Dec '10) Feb '16 Vail inquiring minds 17
Mystery shoppers needed in Frisco Feb '16 cawthon 1
Place to change out of ski clothes? (Jan '16) Jan '16 Alison 1
News Colorado immigrant rights group brings annual a... (Oct '15) Oct '15 private guy 2
News Spanish Paella (Jul '15) Jul '15 Will Dockery 1

Vail Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vail Mortgages