QOTD: Mountain rail line proposal

Full story: Fox 31 KDVR 30
Wednesday's Question of the Day is about the idea of buiding a train line from the Front Range to some of Colorado's most popular mountain destinations. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
designrgs

Grand Junction, CO

#1 Sep 2, 2009
YES! If you have ever lived in Summit County or stuck in the parade of cars on I-70, you know we need this. It is worth every cent.
yes way

Littleton, CO

#2 Sep 2, 2009
Yes way
Charlie Hatch

Frisco, CO

#3 Sep 2, 2009
In Europe they usa trains to commute from country to country, on the east coast they can commute from state and on the west coast you can go from city to city. In Coloado we have started in our cities with ways to get around. Now we need to get ways to get the cities connected. Denver has a good rail system starting, Colorado Springs is working on theirs, Summit County has has a good free bus system, Vail to Avon is easy, Glennwood to Aspen but you need a car to get them togeather. We need to connect these locations so we can bget alot of cars off the roads. Yes it is a lot of money, but so is all the highway repairs. I have thgought for many years we should have a rail system like this. Lets get it done.
Debbi Cooper

Fort Collins, CO

#4 Sep 2, 2009
I think that would be a great idea... not to mention I live in Fort Collins and would travel to Denver alot if there was a train to take. Other states have similar transit options and they are used quite alot. it is time colorado join up with them.
Road Sage

Littleton, CO

#5 Sep 2, 2009
Yes! But let's not stop there. How about getting the cops to start enforcing the LAW with regard to keeping left? Haven't you noticed all those signs that say "keep right except to pass"?! They're EVERYWHERE! Ever see anyone do it?!!! Get these morons out of the left lane and things might not get so bad.
mcj 13

Benkelman, NE

#6 Sep 2, 2009
I will cost 15 billion now. How much will it cost after 10-15 years of debating it? Also we can enjoy using it and reducing traffic and pollution as well helping the mountain communities. Think Colorado!
Pizzeria Owner FOCO

Englewood, CO

#7 Sep 2, 2009
I would love to see a rail line running west to vail. Owning your own business doesn't allow much time, but when there is free time I don't travel much into the mountains due to time and cost. If i was able to utilize the travel time by not driving that would be a dream. Additonal rail line running from Fort Collins south would also allow me to spread my spending through out the state not just in Fort Collins. The traffic of passengers being able to spend more money throughout the state is a wonderful thing and would help all business generate more income.
nick

United States

#8 Sep 2, 2009
Maybe, It would really help reduce cars on the highway, only if the cost for a train ride would be reasonable. It's going to be hard to sell it to people if we are paying for it
Road Sage

Littleton, CO

#9 Sep 2, 2009
I think the cost is way over estimated. Let's not forget these are the same idiots who want a couple of BILLION to widen I-225 for about ten-miles or so. What they (the planning idiots) don't seem to understand is that many of these "projects" could be done by just RE-PAINTING THE LANES! So let's spend another million dollars just studying THAT! Right?(NOT!)
zeekalpha

United States

#10 Sep 2, 2009
yes yes yes, this will only help revnue and traffic for our state. At the very least, bring back the ski train to winter park.
zeekalpha
PDBoy

United States

#11 Sep 2, 2009
The state of Colorado needs all of that like it needs an active volcano.
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 2, 2009
If engineers are estimating 15 billion, by the time the state gets through adding their pork it will be 25 billion. Are you ready to get your taxes raised?

But it is necessary. Think of the number of cars it will take off the road. Think of the lives that will be saved from accidents involving DUI's. Of course, there's no real way to accurately measure that.

The down side to this will be that illegal aliens will have an even quicker way to get to Denver as they invade the state from the west, or spread out to the western slope as they invade the state from the south and further destroy the state. Drug smugglers will have a bonanza with this new avenue to transposrt and deliver their contributions to society.

The state will have to implement a security and screening service for the trains, probably law enforcement like New York's transit police, with drug sniffing dogs and police in every car. Since the money will no doubt come from the fed's to build this thing, they will become involved. Add another 5 billion in pork, kickbacks, corruption, and bribery. Ands if the fed's are involved, the unions will get a front row seat. Add another 5 billion in pork, kickbacks, corruption, bribery...

And wouldn't it be nice if there was implemented and strictly enforced a policy of NO ILLEGAL ALIENS allowed on board!!!
George

Denver, CO

#13 Sep 2, 2009
A rail line from Denver along I-70 up the hill?
Not if the taxpayers are footing the bill.
Let the "beautiful people" and skiers pay for it.
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#14 Sep 2, 2009
Nick - we will be paying for it, and dearly. The wealthy, as usual, will suffer the greatest burden. Whether the money to build and maintain this thing comes from the state or the federal government, the wealthy pay an extremely unfair percentage of the total income tax collected by the IRS.

And what about those of us that don't ski and will never ride the train. The increase in taxes that will be necessary here just to help support the massive infrastructure that will be required for the security of this thing is not going to sit too well with the citizenry, especially those of us who will never ride the train. I guess our reward will be in less traffic on I-70 hopefully.

This is a monster of an idea and the idiots least qualified to study, design, and build this thing the those in office right now.
Josh

United States

#15 Sep 2, 2009
Hell yeah. It is about time that we embrace some more public transportation.
SimpleMan

United States

#16 Sep 2, 2009
NO WAY! I love sitting in traffic jams and smelling exhaust fumes from thousands of idling cars. Just think of that beautiful brown cloud over the Front Range…

I don’t like the idea of raising taxes for a rail system that should have been in place 20 years ago, but I would rather pay for a rail system than your healthcare.
raysmom2

Pueblo, CO

#17 Sep 2, 2009
The roads are jammed in summer, too, and we go to visit family- it's not just for skiers. My family does ski, and were in an accident this spring on the way home because of congestion and icy conditions and no cell service to call for help. Scary stuff.

That being said, I agree with Politically Correct that I have little faith in state gov't to get this done right. Will it be done by RTD? If so, it's going to be a money pit that is poorly managed. If we decide to do this, I would much prefer to see it built by a private firm with a vested interest in the project, financially, environmentally, and for it's effect on property along the way.
mikee

Littleton, CO

#18 Sep 2, 2009
it's BS. Nobody would ever ride it.
L C Robbins

Huntington Beach, CA

#19 Sep 2, 2009
Yes! It is well worth the cost. I have wondered when or if Colorado would ever take hold of the idea of using trains for people's transportation, they are a much better solution than traffic or building bigger infrastructure.
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#20 Sep 2, 2009
Excellent idea SimpleMan! Let's just take all the money being wasted on illegal aliens, anchor babies ( which aren't Americans in my book), and useless welfare programs, and we could possibly have a rail line clear to Grand Junction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eagle senior care center takes next step Dec '14 Calvin James 1
Matterhorn Inn a total loss Nov '14 you suck 1
soulshine (Aug '14) Aug '14 pusherman_ 1
Supporting Vail's vision... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Lisa 1
Stabbing suspect will also face drug charges (Feb '14) Feb '14 Wolfgang 2
Donna its David from Alaska (Oct '13) Feb '14 David from Alaska 4
adpm game (Feb '14) Feb '14 krazyxxxrad 1
Vail Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web