Tucson Neighborhoods

Posted in the Vail Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Need Help

Anchorage, AK

#1 Mar 17, 2009
We are looking to move to Tucson and would like to know which neighborhoods are safest.

Thanks for any help!

“STOP THE HATE”

Since: Mar 09

amorica

#2 Mar 18, 2009
That depends on how affluent you are, Sabino Canyon and Ventana Canyon are the safest for upper class. For regular folks, in central Tucson, anywhere north of Speedway and west of Park I don't like. If you go west on Oracle, past Miracle Mile (Miracle Mile is bad)and past the cemetery to Oro Valley, that's cool if you can afford it. I live south of Broadway on Tucson Blvd and 18th St., it's a decent neighborhood. But past 22nd St begins the south side The south side of is not safe at all. There are gangs in s. Tucson. And Oracle north of Speedway towards Ft. Lowell sucks bad, lots of drugs there. Valencia and 12th is really bad too. The best places are west, out of the city limits, west on Ajo to Kinney, turn right on Bopp. That is nice, used to be just trailers in the early 90's but now there are nice homes and subdivisions being built. Out by Old Tucson and Tucson Mountain Park. I raised my kids out there in the desert. To me, that's where I'd go back to if I had a car. It is so beautiful out in the desert and tranquil compared to living in town. Anywhere around the El Con mall is good if you have to live in town. The University area, is good. Look at maps on Google, you can see streaming photos of neighborhoods by putting an icon on the map. Just stay away from a neighborhood Tucson Police call "team two" it's one of the worst areas in the state. that's Like Oracle and Grant up to Ft Lowell to Stone and Delano areas. Like I said it's all about how much money you have to spend on housing, just like everywhere else.
Just remember, anything can happen anywhere. Good neighborhoods are not gated off from bad elements. Tucson has serious drug problems, just so you know. Being on the streets in Los Angeles at night is less scary than Tucson. Stay away from Grant and Oracle and surrounding areas. Crackhead city. Tucson can be a very violent town and I'm sorry to say that Tucson Police Dept isn't the finest in the nation by far. Out of the City limits the sheriff has jurisdiction, those dudes are bad asses. And Oro Valley has its own PD. I still say your best bet for safety is west out of town and into the desert where the new homes and subdivisions are being built and The Pima County Sheriff has jurisdiction. Even the criminal element is kinda scared of the desert. It's freaken dark out there, there are no leash laws out there, and the criminals don't which good folk have guns out there. Good Luck.
Vail

Anchorage, AK

#3 Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the lengthy response! We were told Vail was a good place, but it is south of Tucson. Is it bad there too?

“STOP THE HATE”

amorica

#4 Mar 18, 2009
Vail wrote:
Thanks for the lengthy response! We were told Vail was a good place, but it is south of Tucson. Is it bad there too?
I don't know mush about vail, it's hardly ever in the news, and wikepedia has a good demograhics on Vail. I can ask some people I know, but, in any case,iIt's better than in town, that much I know.
good luck, and enjoy Tucson, it is beautiful out in the desert.
Wow

Tucson, AZ

#5 Apr 28, 2009
I'm not sure how long Patti Foster has lived in Tucson, but saying Tucson is scarier at night than LA is a little bit of a stretch. There's a lot of good neighborhoods in Tucson and they're all over the city. East and Northeast are some of the best neighborhoods in-city, as well as the Sam Hughes neigborhood downtown. Vail and Rita Ranch are very good areas if you don't mind being a little farther away from restaurants and night life.

“STOP THE HATE”

amorica

#6 Apr 30, 2009
Wow wrote:
I'm not sure how long Patti Foster has lived in Tucson, but saying Tucson is scarier at night than LA is a little bit of a stretch. There's a lot of good neighborhoods in Tucson and they're all over the city. East and Northeast are some of the best neighborhoods in-city, as well as the Sam Hughes neigborhood downtown. Vail and Rita Ranch are very good areas if you don't mind being a little farther away from restaurants and night life.
I have lived in Tucson since 1992. LAPD has a better police force than TPD. If TPD were as on the ball as LAPD, maybe I'd think Tucson was safer (per capita.) Go to the azstarnet.com crime map for Tucson, and you will see WHY Tucson is truly a scary city. Sam Hughes is in no way crime free. Tucson's east side has one of the worst hoods in town (28th and Craycroft area, CRACK city.) I'd like to also mention Team 2 (as TPD calls it,)Oracle + Miracle Mile area going north on Stone, is the worst neighborhood in the state. Vail and Rita Ranch are as you say, NOT in Tucson proper. I'm talking The City of Tucson proper.

“STOP THE HATE”

amorica

#7 Apr 30, 2009
correction: not north on stone, north of stone
The Tropics of Tucson

Tucson, AZ

#8 Jun 24, 2009
A once less populous Tucson was made luminous by the surrounding desert and mountains. The dust of the desert falls upon us all and it's more true now that fewer areas in town or nearby experience the Sonoran desert's ambiance. Oro Valley and Dove Mt. are the area's best residential investments while Tucson and its immediate environs struggle without pro-active gov't development schemes, poor roads and no services. Look to areas that enforce zoning and neighborhoods that uphold covenants. There are many fee simple properties not govered by an HOA but stay in Oro Valley.
Lonely Boy 520 Tucson Az

United States

#9 Sep 23, 2009
Oro Valley And Saddle Brooke
Native Tucsonian

Scottsdale, AZ

#10 Oct 4, 2009
Wow wrote:
I would agree with Patti Foster's opinion. L.A. has a lot of good neighborhoods too; all over the city ~ but it's commonly referred to as La La Land, while Tucson is called TooStoned.
Native Tucsonian

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Oct 4, 2009
Now here's where I'd disagree with Patti Foster's opinion: LAPD is better than TPD...I think they are the same. A few good cops & way, way too many bad ones. Did you see the documentry where 2 LAPD's beat a black kid 1/2 to death, then dumped him in a Mexican Barrio Gang Area expecting the Gangsters would finish him off? The "Gangsters" very tough looking guys ~ took him to the hospital!!!
Tucson Retiree

Portland, OR

#13 Oct 11, 2010
Most of the neighborhoods in Tucson around the University are great, as are those going east. Some great close-in neighborhoods and barrios in downtown. Also, good neighborhoods around Reid Park between Alvernon and Craycroft, north of 22nd. Basically, Tucson is pretty safe and closer in, its pretty walkable as well. Some of the safest suburban neighborhoods will force you to always use your car - so not very green.
dude

United States

#14 Oct 11, 2010
Move 25 miles out of town, minimum. Fence your property. Keep a big dog out there to bark and let you know when there is activity. Keep a 12 gauge loaded with .00 buck and use it on anything that enters your parimeter. Easy.
Raystar

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 24, 2010
Any comments about Old Farm Apts.( now called Riverstone) at 6161 E Grant Rd.? will you rent an Apt. There? How safe is this place?
dave

Panama City Beach, FL

#16 Jan 4, 2011
Raystar wrote:
Any comments about Old Farm Apts.( now called Riverstone) at 6161 E Grant Rd.? will you rent an Apt. There? How safe is this place?
Riverstone is safe and clean.
Erik

Tucson, AZ

#17 Jan 31, 2011
I disagree strongly with your assesment on TPD- there is a big difference between being incompetent and being understaffed. It is the MAYOR, COUNCIL, ETC. that are to blame. Not to mention our Governor for the passage of several recent laws (fireworks, etc.) that have quickly diminished the quality of life here in AZ. I have always been very happy with TPD knowing they do their best with the resources they have and I commend them!
Lighthouse

Tucson, AZ

#18 Mar 1, 2011
I think the Extended Southwest of Tucson is grest. Being about 25 miles out of town, it's quiet, good neighbors and very little crime. If you like the country and want to get away from the crime of the city, the Three Points area is the one. Don't listen to the past bad press in this area. Things have changed. Would be nice to have more conveniences out that way, but am confident this will happen in the future with the way it is growing. Beautiful stars at night!
LongTimeResident

Tucson, AZ

#19 Mar 12, 2011
dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverstone is safe and clean.
I agree..I've lived here for almost 6 years and have never had one problem or issue. I'm comfortable here.
doojza

Tucson, AZ

#20 Mar 25, 2011
im from boston lived in dorchester all my life on blue hill ave / winter hill area so i know a tough neighborhood bad area ive been in tucson since dec and really are you serious about it being bad here this place is like retiree capatail of the earth lets get real people tucon is a lame town and chill
Kelly

Cincinnati, OH

#21 May 1, 2011
anyone know if it is fairly safe around 1039 North Alamo Ave?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post you feature points referral code (Feb '14) 35 min bekithemba phiri 4,284
Public Space Christmas Music Should be Limited 3 hr Culture Auditor 1
Review: Tucson United Locksmith 12 hr Ripped off 5
Holder was a Judge and He Knows the Ferguson De... Tue Culture Auditor 1
FeaturePoints Referral Code for 100,000 points=... Mon Matthew 22
Objects thrown at AZ mosque lead to evictions Mon concerned-mom 1
Americans are Disengaged from the Real World Mon Culture Auditor 1
Vail Dating
Find my Match

Vail People Search