Graduation rate, dropout rate rise

Graduation rate, dropout rate rise

There are 20 comments on the The Reporter story from Dec 8, 2010, titled Graduation rate, dropout rate rise. In it, The Reporter reports that:

California public high school students graduated at a higher rate in 2008-09 than the previous year, but more students also dropped out, according to data released Tuesday by the state Department of Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

Since: Jun 10

Vacaville, CA

#1 Dec 8, 2010
"O'Connell blamed the increased dropout rate on state budget cuts to K-12 schools that have led to larger class sizes, fewer teachers, counselors and nurses, and reductions in electives and extracurricular activities."

In other words, they need more dues paying eachers to support the CTA and NEA "progressive" agenda to emasculate men and empower women. The majority of drop outs are male students who are tired of teachers who year after year try to force them to think like a woman. Numerous studies point this out but no one listens.

More electives? Better to focus on teaching students to read, write, and do math. Ask any college instructor and they will tell you that high schools are not preparing students for college. Secondary teachers have not been trained to effectively teach male students. Glorified baby sitters is all they are.

Our school system is broken and those like O'Connell are part of the problem and need to go.

Since: Aug 10

San Jose, CA

#2 Dec 8, 2010
"O'Connell blamed the increased dropout rate on state budget cuts to K-12 schools that have led to larger class sizes, fewer teachers, counselors and nurses..."

Of course, keep throwing more and more money at the problem, that approach has been working so well for years, right?
John

Martinez, CA

#3 Dec 8, 2010
Eliminate mandatory school attendance (for grades 8-12) and all child labor laws. Bring back the classical concept of vocational apprenticeships which would combine on the job training plus some classroom work on academic fundamentals for young persons.

Not every kid should be tracked for college prep. if mandatory school attendance cannot be cut, then bring back more high school shop classes for those kids who are not, nor will ever be college material. Hell! Even Solano Community College has eliminated a lot of their vocational programs in favor of classes teaching remedial skills that should have been learned in high school.

The education system in this once great nation is in the crapper.
Jessi

Santa Rosa, CA

#4 Dec 8, 2010
"O'Connell blamed the increased dropout rate on state budget cuts to K-12 schools that have led to larger class sizes, fewer teachers, counselors and nurses..."

Yeah.... NO. No one is buying that bull**** answer.
There are lots of ways we could try to fix the system, lots of directions to take, but throwing more money at it is NOT the solution (especially when those in the federal, state, and county bureaucracy--that's right, 3 levels, NONE OF WHOM DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH STUDENTS--are paid such obscene salaries for what they do).
I am a firm believer that there are many good educators in the public schools that are doing their very best, but they are operating in a broken system that doesn't set their students up to be successful. My husband is a public school teacher, but our son will either be homeschooled, attend a private school, or possibly a charter/Montessori/other non-traditional school.
There are OPTIONS out there for your child's education! And if people would start taking advantage of them, maybe our voices would be heard--that either reform happens, or you're gonna lose us forever.

“<3”

Black Rock City, NV

#5 Dec 8, 2010
William

United States

#6 Dec 8, 2010
...and why is illegal immigration not factored into these numbers? Different priorities and circumstances produce skewed results.

Since: Oct 08

Vacaville, CA

#7 Dec 8, 2010
Fayfeel has the higherst dropout rate...SHOCKER! It's the most "ghetto" of all the cities listed.
A 37% dropout rate for Blacks, and a 26% dropout rate for Hispanics...and it's a budget problem? Congrats to the Hispanic population on a 59% graduation rate. That is amazing!(sarcasm) 59 is a failing grade, so be proud of yourselves, Hispanics.
When I was in high school ('80-'83), we had 750 students...and two dropped out (one was Black). There were only 6 Black people in the entire school, and only a handful of Hispanics. Our graduation rate was 99%. Is THAT due to a budget? C'mon, people...do the math! It's NOT a budget problem, it's a cultural problem, and the parents are to blame.
Morrey

Vacaville, CA

#8 Dec 8, 2010
Can someone explain to me how the graduation rate and the dropout rate can BOTH be up?

Since: Oct 08

Vacaville, CA

#9 Dec 8, 2010
Morrey wrote:
Can someone explain to me how the graduation rate and the dropout rate can BOTH be up?
I was thinking the same thing. The only explanation I came up with is that the graduation rate only applies to the Senior class, and the dropout rate applies to ALL classes. If that is true, then the next few years are going to produce some FINE young adults for the rest of us to take care of, either by welfare of incarceration.

“<3”

Black Rock City, NV

#10 Dec 8, 2010
Emjoe wrote:
Fayfeel has the higherst dropout rate...SHOCKER! It's the most "ghetto" of all the cities listed.
A 37% dropout rate for Blacks, and a 26% dropout rate for Hispanics...and it's a budget problem? Congrats to the Hispanic population on a 59% graduation rate. That is amazing!(sarcasm) 59 is a failing grade, so be proud of yourselves, Hispanics.
When I was in high school ('80-'83), we had 750 students...and two dropped out (one was Black). There were only 6 Black people in the entire school, and only a handful of Hispanics. Our graduation rate was 99%. Is THAT due to a budget? C'mon, people...do the math! It's NOT a budget problem, it's a cultural problem, and the parents are to blame.
You are correct. It is the parent's fault.
Emjoe

San Francisco, CA

#11 Dec 8, 2010
John wrote:
Eliminate mandatory school attendance (for grades 8-12) and all child labor laws. Bring back the classical concept of vocational apprenticeships which would combine on the job training plus some classroom work on academic fundamentals for young persons.
Not every kid should be tracked for college prep. if mandatory school attendance cannot be cut, then bring back more high school shop classes for those kids who are not, nor will ever be college material. Hell! Even Solano Community College has eliminated a lot of their vocational programs in favor of classes teaching remedial skills that should have been learned in high school.
The education system in this once great nation is in the crapper.
Forget the "draft" in war time; If you do not graduate high school,You go straight to one of four military bootcamps and serve your Nation instead of wandering our streets ending up in our prison system. Enough already!
Just a thought

Sacramento, CA

#12 Dec 8, 2010
Morrey wrote:
Some kids continue in high school and finish 12th grade, but do not "graduate" To graduate you must fulfill all requirements. You can attend thru 12th grade and never get the diploma.
IveGotAnIdea

San Francisco, CA

#13 Dec 8, 2010
Money, Money and more money. Think the freaking out of the box Administrators and find out WHY these kids are not graduating. The taxpayers are paying millions for schools and it STILL isn't enough. This really has to stop...money is not the answer.

There are kids in this world that just don't do well academically. After they are taught the basics such as reading, math, history, they should be sent to trade schools ...ah, yes, that would then cut the amount of money fed to public school and we can't have that now can we?

Trade schools put out well trained, self supporting taxpayers...(in most instances)- dropouts generally are on the dole in some manner.
John

Martinez, CA

#14 Dec 8, 2010
Emjoe wrote:
<quoted text>Forget the "draft" in war time; If you do not graduate high school,You go straight to one of four military bootcamps and serve your Nation instead of wandering our streets ending up in our prison system. Enough already!
All things being equal, a military draft would not be very effective unless military physical & mental standards were severely lowered. With the current epidemic of obesity, the number of young persons being prescribed psychotropic drugs and general attitude problems, military conscription won't work. Oh yeah, unless DADT is repealed and being openly homosexual in the military is still forbidden, all a kid has to do to get out of the draft is to tell the government that he or she is gay or lesbian.

So, if the neighborhood bully such as China or Russia decides an invasion of the U.S. is "appropriate", we are HOSED.

The problems of education is just a symptom of the problems of this nation as a whole.

Hilmar, CA

#15 Dec 8, 2010
Morrey wrote:
They explained it in the article, something about GED's .
what a joke

United States

#16 Dec 8, 2010
How hilarious.....Dixon has a 21% drop out rate...and I just read that it is in the running to be named a "Distinguished School" How hilarious is that!!

Oh, I get it....they have the stupid kids drop out...then they get to be judged on what is left. No wonder their test scores have been going up...they have the kids that score poorly drop out!

Maybe if kids were in school a full day and went to school all year long they would catch up with all the other countries of the world that have their kids actually going to a full day of classes.

I agree with John above....why are all kids expected to go to college. Kids should be assessed in Jr High...those who are college capable are tracked there...those who will never be college material get skilled in a trade. Again...most European Countries have been doing this for years.
Marv Hucker

Fairfield, CA

#17 Dec 8, 2010
Emjoe wrote:
<quoted text>Forget the "draft" in war time; If you do not graduate high school,You go straight to one of four military bootcamps and serve your Nation instead of wandering our streets ending up in our prison system. Enough already!
Nope, don't think so. If these turkeys can't pass our watered down educational system or, just plainly don't have the desire to, I don't think the military is the place for them. I would hate to have our brave service people incur harm due to these idiots. The military is a much more technological endeavor these days. Just send them to prison. they'll end up there anyway. Semper Fi!

Vacaville, CA

#18 Dec 10, 2010
Granny Loves America wrote:
http://www.studentsfirst.org/
Are you a member of the fundraising committee?
Jessi

Auburn, CA

#20 Dec 10, 2010
what a joke wrote:
How hilarious.....Dixon has a 21% drop out rate...and I just read that it is in the running to be named a "Distinguished School" How hilarious is that!!
Oh, I get it....they have the stupid kids drop out...then they get to be judged on what is left. No wonder their test scores have been going up...they have the kids that score poorly drop out!
Maybe if kids were in school a full day and went to school all year long they would catch up with all the other countries of the world that have their kids actually going to a full day of classes.
I agree with John above....why are all kids expected to go to college. Kids should be assessed in Jr High...those who are college capable are tracked there...those who will never be college material get skilled in a trade. Again...most European Countries have been doing this for years.
The reason Dixon has a high dropout rate is because, being a farming community, we have so many MIGRANT students. They come with their families during certain seasons, and then they leave during others. The school population literally fluctuates by HUNDREDS of students at different parts of the school year, every year. I guarantee that accounts for at least 98% of our dropout rate.

Grass Valley, CA

#21 Dec 10, 2010
Jessi wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason Dixon has a high dropout rate is because, being a farming community, we have so many MIGRANT students. They come with their families during certain seasons, and then they leave during others. The school population literally fluctuates by HUNDREDS of students at different parts of the school year, every year. I guarantee that accounts for at least 98% of our dropout rate.
Sorry there Jessi, try again. The school year ends smack dab in the middle of growing season so if anything the incoming migrant seniors that graduate would push the graduation rate higher

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vacaville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mailbox thieves/ Vacaville 19 hr Vacaville resident 1
News Police interrupt Vallejo home invasion robbery (Oct '12) Thu Sad mother 22
News Fairfield City Council takes up 254-unit Rockvi... Thu green valley resi... 3
News County will help children's group craft ballot ... Thu green valley resi... 5
Harbor breeze apartments Thu green valley resi... 1
News Defense in Vacaville real estate fraud case pre... Thu green valley resi... 1
News Vacaville man hires 'the Last Hope' to fight co... Dec 7 Birds Landing Bob 1

Vacaville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Vacaville Mortgages