Economy has power plant on hold

Economy has power plant on hold

There are 10 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Mar 31, 2009, titled Economy has power plant on hold. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The opening of a natural-gas-fired power plant proposed for North Billerica has been delayed until 2013.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Open Your Eyes

Tyngsboro, MA

#1 Mar 31, 2009
Spin, Spin, and more Spin!
KSM

Peabody, MA

#2 Mar 31, 2009
From the newswire:

Southern Company Reaches Milestone in Smart Meter Program with 1 Million Installations

03/05 10:38 am (PRN)

ATLANTA, March 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/-- Southern Company announced today that it has installed 1 million Smart Meters, achieving a milestone in an advanced electricity metering program that will eventually see 4.4 million meters in place for its customers across the Southeast.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20080801/...

The program - which integrates advanced metering, communications and other innovative technologies to provide superior customer service at reduced operating costs - is producing direct benefits for the customer, the environment and the company while positioning the company to employ additional features of the technology in the future.

The initiative began in January 2008 and will deploy Smart Meters for customers of Southern Company's electric utility subsidiaries Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power and Mississippi Power. The company is installing about 4,500 meters each day.

In addition to reducing operating costs that can help keep rates lower for customers, the company expects the program to lessen environmental impact. Southern Company, for example, expects to reduce the vehicle fleet used for meter reading by at least 500, saving 12.5 million miles of driving annually and producing direct benefits in lower vehicle emissions.

Once fully deployed, the Smart Meter program may also allow customers to manage energy consumption, helping them to be more efficient by providing detailed energy usage information and innovative rate options.

"Southern Company continues to be an industry leader in adopting technology that benefits customers while reducing environmental impact," said Southern Company CEO David Ratcliffe. "The company's progress in the Smart Meter program underscores our commitment to customer service and environmental responsibility."

Installing Smart Meters throughout Southern Company's territory lays the groundwork for many potential technology opportunities and benefits in the future as well. Those include:

-- Innovative billing and rate options
-- Remote programmability of meters
-- Power quality monitoring
-- Prepaid power options

Southern Company's program is based on the Sensus FlexNet(R) Advanced Metering Infrastructure network, which uses advanced technology that allows for a range of features, including meter reading for monthly billing, two-way communication between customers and the company, outage detection, and remote reconnects and disconnects.

Visit our Web site at http://www.southerncompany.com/

Kevin

United States

#3 Mar 31, 2009
Did you notice that the 350 megawatts that this plant would generate is 10x the amount of the "green" power from the economic stimulis package.
MoonBat Hunter

Dracut, MA

#4 Mar 31, 2009
Its simply a matter of time.
Ed BWG

Tyngsboro, MA

#5 Mar 31, 2009
Hey MoonBat Hunter,
Looks like you have not shot yourself yet from all the smoke and mirrors you are surrounded by. I havenít had a good laugh since I read the posts by someone who goes by the name of Listen Stupid who appeared to be chasing you around the blogs. Great name to be chasing you around with.
You are either one of the CEO's from DG Power or one of their devoted disciples who eagerly await and accept their words as gospel. I really hope your are not foolish enough to invest in these men or their project or are waiting for this proposal to benefit you in some way.
The writing is on the wall which is the power is not and will not be needed in the future, and almost everything these pitchmen have been attempting to sell to the greedy element of the residents in the Valley is false. Everybody with an ounce of sense sees right though them, and knows this area does not have the resources to support this proposal.
Even NBC Evening news tonight had a piece on monitoring the Air Quality around the schools because children are seriously affected by pollution from various types of plants dumping their pollution on them. You are most likely blogging about the high cost of health care also, but are in favor of this fossil fueled polluter. You reek of hypocrisy!
Get off the Happy Pills or Hard Drugs you are on before you come through the smoke cloud and look a mirror and see the only MoonBat on this blog, yourself, and end up hunting yourself down.
PS Come and challenge us with your vast knowledge of this subject Wed Night at the church in the Center of Town in Billerica because there will be an open forum on the power plant matter. If you really think hard enough all day and all night you may be able to ask one semi-intelligent question, but donít hurt yourself trying.
Ed B W G

Lowell, MA

#6 Apr 1, 2009
The meeting Wednesday has been changed. It has been moved to Innis Drive. I forgot that when I walk into a church (actual church not our secret meeting) my skin begins to burn. So come on down to the clubhouse and have some cold ones, and some blow with us. Oh yeah I almost forgot, save our clean air and stuff.
Ed B W G

Lowell, MA

#7 Apr 1, 2009
For the record, I am the real Ed. You will know me by my luxurious long mane, and snazzy denim suit. I dont need to conform to societal norms. Real men wear Bandanna's.
Kevin

United States

#8 Apr 1, 2009
Ed BWG wrote:
Hey MoonBat Hunter,
Looks like you have not shot yourself yet from all the smoke and mirrors you are surrounded by. I havenít had a good laugh since I read the posts by someone who goes by the name of Listen Stupid who appeared to be chasing you around the blogs. Great name to be chasing you around with.
You are either one of the CEO's from DG Power or one of their devoted disciples who eagerly await and accept their words as gospel. I really hope your are not foolish enough to invest in these men or their project or are waiting for this proposal to benefit you in some way.
The writing is on the wall which is the power is not and will not be needed in the future, and almost everything these pitchmen have been attempting to sell to the greedy element of the residents in the Valley is false. Everybody with an ounce of sense sees right though them, and knows this area does not have the resources to support this proposal.
Even NBC Evening news tonight had a piece on monitoring the Air Quality around the schools because children are seriously affected by pollution from various types of plants dumping their pollution on them. You are most likely blogging about the high cost of health care also, but are in favor of this fossil fueled polluter. You reek of hypocrisy!
Get off the Happy Pills or Hard Drugs you are on before you come through the smoke cloud and look a mirror and see the only MoonBat on this blog, yourself, and end up hunting yourself down.
PS Come and challenge us with your vast knowledge of this subject Wed Night at the church in the Center of Town in Billerica because there will be an open forum on the power plant matter. If you really think hard enough all day and all night you may be able to ask one semi-intelligent question, but donít hurt yourself trying.
We will not need as much electricity in Mass going forward since all of the companies that use it are going out of bussiness and the people who lose their jobs will use less power.
Don't worry we will be spending Billions on the "Green Power" in Mass and get 35 megawatts of power, almost enough to supply Billerica, not including bussiness, as long as we conserve.
Ed BWG

Tyngsboro, MA

#9 Apr 1, 2009
Nice to see the fools are back. How is it going over there in Tewksbury Ed BWG.
Ed BWG

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Apr 1, 2009
Hey Kevin how much money do you have invested in Navasota Energy?

Why isn't Navasota Energy attempting to permit this plant?

Time to grow up and face reality!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uxbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Uxbridge Motocross (Jun '10) Jan 26 gypsy boy 3
News Worcester continuing the battle against opioid ... Jan 14 pusherman 23
News Northbridge rolling out lower-cost electricity ... Dec '15 Mister Magoo 1
Uxbridge Music Forum (Feb '13) Oct '15 Musikologist 12
News More child sex charges against Uxbridge sex off... (Jun '15) Sep '15 new blue 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Whitinsville, MA (Jan '12) Sep '15 sue 7
News Northbridge selectmen review bare-bones DPW plan Aug '15 Spindler 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Uxbridge Mortgages