Another town's treasure

Another town's treasure

There are 14 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Jan 8, 2009, titled Another town's treasure. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

Just what the Adams Selectmen needed was more egg on their face, but that's what they got with the recent news that William Ketcham, the town administrator they ditched in September, has emerged as the top ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

In The Know

Clifton Park, NY

#1 Jan 8, 2009
Give me a break! Give me a new editor!!!
Seems to have a strong dislike for some of the selectmen and the Town of Adams. Perhaps it's time for a new editor.
In The Know

Clifton Park, NY

#2 Jan 8, 2009
Mybe circulation will increase!
Time for change

Granby, MA

#3 Jan 8, 2009
Or it's time for a new board of selectmen. In The Know must be on the board himself or related to a member. Anyone truly In The Know would know what was done this past summer to Mr. Ketchum on behalf of the town was certainly NOT in the towns best interests. I agree that it's time for Mr. Solomon and Mr. MacDonald to take their leave of the board to make room for some with the publics interest in mind.
pain man

Gansevoort, NY

#4 Jan 8, 2009
it seems like the town does not keep town administators to long. all because of the bozos on the board of selectmen. and old mcdonnld , if you can not take the heat , get the hell out of the kitchen.
Observer

Gansevoort, NY

#5 Jan 8, 2009
pain man is right, the proof that it wasn't Ketcham is that he's just one of many that have cut and run before their time was up.
My Town

Albany, NY

#6 Jan 9, 2009
The issue has never been the town itself. The town itself holds a lot of promise and has good people. It's the board and always has been the board. This one is the worst in recent memory. It's not that they are not individually capable or good people themselves. I actually like a few of them as people. They as a unit, had the ability to do wonderful things. They have not. In my opinion, they, relative to the tasks at hand, are just simply lazy, self-centered and out of touch with the reality of true town governance (not Adams town governance as politics is played). Whether or not you have shared, elected responsibilities by design in municipal government, it only really works of some one emerges as the leader; the person who can rally the troops, build the bridges and pull all the issues together. There is no one on the current board who seemingly wants to do this and administrator after administrator has complained about the boards dysfunction and ultimately has left.
Fact

Flushing, NY

#7 Jan 9, 2009
Time for change wrote:
Or it's time for a new board of selectmen. In The Know must be on the board himself or related to a member. Anyone truly In The Know would know what was done this past summer to Mr. Ketchum on behalf of the town was certainly NOT in the towns best interests. I agree that it's time for Mr. Solomon and Mr. MacDonald to take their leave of the board to make room for some with the publics interest in mind.
Anyone In The KNow would know that what happened was in the best interests of the town. Mr. Ketcham is a very nice man, but sometimes nice guys finish last. perhaps he just could not complete the projects in a timely manner - I believe there is more to this story than meets the eyes. I don't believe that even this board of selectmen would get rid of someone who was doing their job.
My Town

Albany, NY

#8 Jan 9, 2009
Yea, they would. Whatever you think Fact. Unfortunately, most of the time, your facts make absolutely no sense. There is more to the story alright...$$$five figures worth on the high end. Of course, the way our illustrious board has stone-walled and denied the people the plain facts, we may never know. The way this was handled is enough to hope that these clowns never have a chance to screw up this badly again.
Yogi

Clockville, NY

#9 Jan 9, 2009
It's like deja-vu, all over again.

You say the same things all the time. You never give facts, figures, etc. You, like many others on the blogs, just blow off steam without one ounce of truth.

There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em.
My Two Cents

Saratoga Springs, NY

#10 Jan 13, 2009
Honestly, we know everyone has an opinion, but if it was in the best interest in the town to get rid of Mr. Ketcham then we would have already a new Town Administrator by now. The town has gone nearly four and half months without a full time Administrator. Anyone wonder why we don't have one yet? Is it that big of mystery?
Jack

Monsey, NY

#11 Jan 13, 2009
Other than leave, what other major accomplishments did Mr Ketcham complete. Frankly, the town might be better suited to change the charter and dump the whole administror position. It would save us all a couple cents in the tax bill and to be honest, I don't think I have gotten two cents worth out of all of the administrators combined. Further, it will prevent the golden parachute deals like a couple selectmen or should I say selectpersons tried to give away not too long ago. Then again, it was only the taxpayers money so who cares?
My Two Cents

Saratoga Springs, NY

#12 Jan 14, 2009
Seeing that Jack failed to see my point which simply put is, if Mr. Ketcham was doing that bad of job, it would be a little easier to replace him. Just because no one is toting his major accomplishments which include by the way assisting in securing grant monies, he did a lot to improve assisting the town infrastructure. Plain and simple yet again, Mr. Ketcham was NOT a yes man and did NOT go with board most of the time and the board ALSO said they were going to set goals for the Administrator but FAILED to do so. When it comes down to it Jack, the board failed the people and therefore wasted our, the taxpayer's money. And remember, we all can sit back and talk, but it takes certain type of person to say, I can do that job or I will be able to achieve what I say, what we have in Adams are wanna be professional politician's. When is the last time we had a board that actually did what it said it was going to? Anyone remember Joe Levefrve? Ed Driscoll? George Haddad? Chris Soloari? Barbra Meczywor? or even Earl Kelly? What we need are the people to step up to the plate and run. Yes its a thankless job, but someone has to do it and I know there are better people than can do the job.
Jack

Alton, NH

#13 Jan 14, 2009
The decision to replace the town administrator should have nothing to do with the prior administrators performance. When the town is ready it will post the position. "My Two Cents" I agree with you on one point, it is a thankless job on the Board. I also think MacDonald and Soloman are doing a great job. Anyone that reads these blogs knows the game. The election is coming and somehow calling people boobs and stooges makes some people feel somehow as though they are making a positive contribution. Some people have an axe to grind, be it personal or political. That is unfortunately the nature of the beast. I think for the most part, this is one of the best Boards we have had in a while. We have one member who seems to like to use the Transcript to crisize the others but aside from that, they have my utmost respect. Most of all, I think they at least try to do what is right. It wasn't too long ago that I wouldn't have said that.
Ms Downtown

Clockville, NY

#14 Jan 21, 2009
My Two Cents wrote:
Seeing that Jack failed to see my point which simply put is, if Mr. Ketcham was doing that bad of job, it would be a little easier to replace him. Just because no one is toting his major accomplishments which include by the way assisting in securing grant monies, he did a lot to improve assisting the town infrastructure. Plain and simple yet again, Mr. Ketcham was NOT a yes man and did NOT go with board most of the time and the board ALSO said they were going to set goals for the Administrator but FAILED to do so. When it comes down to it Jack, the board failed the people and therefore wasted our, the taxpayer's money. And remember, we all can sit back and talk, but it takes certain type of person to say, I can do that job or I will be able to achieve what I say, what we have in Adams are wanna be professional politician's. When is the last time we had a board that actually did what it said it was going to? Anyone remember Joe Levefrve? Ed Driscoll? George Haddad? Chris Soloari? Barbra Meczywor? or even Earl Kelly? What we need are the people to step up to the plate and run. Yes its a thankless job, but someone has to do it and I know there are better people than can do the job.
Gee = maybe we should ask them to come back? Who gave the golden parachute toJim Leitch?
Not this board.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uxbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mendon police officer files US suit alleging an... Jun 3 Cleef 1
Uxbridge Music Forum (Feb '13) May '16 Musikologist 13
Northbridge high baseball Apr '16 Dave 1
Uxbridge Motocross (Jun '10) Apr '16 notracks 4
$500 reward truck spotted in uxbridge plate 577... Mar '16 mary 1
NORTHBRIDGE - Embarrassment of a Town Mar '16 Sad but True 1
The Grey Barn - depressing (Feb '14) Mar '16 Drunkbridge 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Uxbridge Mortgages