Diocese sells retreat center despite lawsuit; Buyer says no gay marriages

There are 7 comments on the www.bizjournals.com story from Oct 18, 2012, titled Diocese sells retreat center despite lawsuit; Buyer says no gay marriages. In it, www.bizjournals.com reports that:

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester has sold the former House of Affirmation retreat center to a business owner who says he will run a wedding and conference center, but will not permit gay marriages at the site.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.bizjournals.com.

Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Oct 18, 2012
Sounds like a set-up for a legal showdown.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#2 Oct 18, 2012
Wait, isn't that illegal? To sell a property that is currently the subject of a lawsuit to get the property? Do correct me if I'm mistaken.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#3 Oct 18, 2012
Lacez wrote:
Wait, isn't that illegal? To sell a property that is currently the subject of a lawsuit to get the property? Do correct me if I'm mistaken.
Expect a restraining order prohibiting the sale forthwith, but it was awfully nice how they went and proved the plaintiffs case for them like that. The new purported owner can't be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, announcing that he had bought it AND was hoping to eventually be the target of a lawsuit himself by telling everybody that they weren't going to be publicly accommodating to the gay folk, no matter what the law says.$800,000 won't even cover the costs of everybody's legal fees before these clowns are through.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#4 Oct 18, 2012
That is a restrictive covenant clause. I thought they were illegal, though I am not sure whether the illegality applies to business property. They used to be used to prevent houses being sold to blacks and Jews.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#5 Oct 18, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Expect a restraining order prohibiting the sale forthwith, but it was awfully nice how they went and proved the plaintiffs case for them like that. The new purported owner can't be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, announcing that he had bought it AND was hoping to eventually be the target of a lawsuit himself by telling everybody that they weren't going to be publicly accommodating to the gay folk, no matter what the law says.$800,000 won't even cover the costs of everybody's legal fees before these clowns are through.
At least they're getting what they deserve.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#6 Oct 18, 2012
Lacez wrote:
Since when does the catholic church recognize the law? They have proven their disrespect for others time and again, why should this be a surprise?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#7 Oct 18, 2012
Lacez wrote:
At least they're getting what they deserve.
And they call us self-destructive....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Uxbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massachusetts police receiving calls from Austr... Apr 24 farkle 5
Debate: Gay Marriage - Whitinsville, MA (Jan '12) Apr '15 Irene 6
Uxbridge Music Forum (Feb '13) Apr '15 Musikologist 11
Fios vs. Charter for internet and cable in Nort... Mar '15 magnet1213 1
News CVS banning all tobacco sales (Feb '14) Jan '15 anonymous 30
News Northbridge leads in voter turnout competition ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Sonny 1
News Northbridge voters defeat meals tax hike, OK ou... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Sonny 1
More from around the web

Uxbridge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]