Smooth transition

Smooth transition

There are 8 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 25, 2009, titled Smooth transition. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The pink child's desk in the office of the new president of Velvet Ice Cream Co.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Velvet is best

Pickerington, OH

#1 Sep 25, 2009
Ye Olde Mill is a jewel in Central Ohio. Our family makes a tradition of visiting regularly throughout the spring & summer. Best wishes as the Dager sisters press on! Buy Ohio made!
retvet

Newark, OH

#2 Sep 25, 2009
I love their ice cream. It is better than many of the so-called "boutique" ice creams that cost more. Having said that, my son-in-law drove for them and their mangement style leaves a lot ot be desired. Most of the time the operation seemed to run like it was missing a wheel.
SteveVC

Dublin, OH

#3 Sep 25, 2009
Velvet Ice cream is Ok. It's a premium brand and it meets expectations, but it's not superior to other premium brands. More importantly, they're not very creative. They basically copy what other ice cream makers are doing, but Velvet isn't going to set a tone in the market by creating a new flavor.

That's why my favorite local ice cream tycoon is Jeni Britton of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. First of all, she has a very original base recipe that produces a smooth texture and a clean creamy flavor. Then she takes big risks with the flavor combinations. Queen City Cayenne and Thai Chili are phenomenal examples of that, but the list is endless.

Velvet is for grouchy old people who drive too slow on the highway.
Wills

Roseland, NJ

#4 Sep 28, 2009
It was the ad in Mimi's magazine for the Ye Old Grist Mill that was the catalyst for a mystery tour with some friends. We are from Cleveland area and took a scenic drive down route 3 and through Mohican and made a day trip out of it. There was something for everyone at Ye Old Grist Mill including a scenic lake and a trail. The tour was informative and the ice-cream delcious.
I think it is terrific the family continues to own and run the business. It speaks volumes for their values.
Joe Prewitt

Somerset, KY

#5 Sep 28, 2009
Congratulations Luconda, It's been a long time since we've talked, I'm still with Southern Belle Dairy, drop me a line some time!
Liz

Zanesville, OH

#6 Sep 29, 2009
I am glad that Joe passed on the responsibility to his daughters. Joe is a wonderful man and ran the company well, but with a new generation in place the company with modernize and be able to work at a faster pace and become more appealing to a broader audience. I am excited to see the new changes that will take place!
Liz

Zanesville, OH

#7 Sep 29, 2009
SteveVC wrote:
More importantly, they're not very creative. They basically copy what other ice cream makers are doing, but Velvet isn't going to set a tone in the market by creating a new flavor.
What I say to this is they are creative, they were the first one's I know of that offered Buckeye Classic icecream. If you have never had it, it is the best icecream ever! There classic vanilla is superior to and other vanilla I have ever tasted, I will always enjoy this icecream and I am not a grouchy old person. i have enjoyed the icecream since I was practicly in the whom.
CMH Rick

Columbus, OH

#8 Sep 29, 2009
SteveVC wrote:
Velvet Ice cream is Ok. It's a premium brand and it meets expectations, but it's not superior to other premium brands. More importantly, they're not very creative. They basically copy what other ice cream makers are doing, but Velvet isn't going to set a tone in the market by creating a new flavor.
That's why my favorite local ice cream tycoon is Jeni Britton of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. First of all, she has a very original base recipe that produces a smooth texture and a clean creamy flavor. Then she takes big risks with the flavor combinations. Queen City Cayenne and Thai Chili are phenomenal examples of that, but the list is endless.
And Steve, tell us, just how long have you worked for Jeni????????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scott Brady the toilet slave Apr 27 April 1
Ron who mowes golf course Apr 13 Tammys thought 1
Kate Ryan Apr 1 That bitch 1
Danielle Krzosky (Apr '15) Mar '16 Jeff 8
Priscilla Dawn Hickman's murder (Jan '13) Mar '16 thank god i moved 3
Missing person Mar '16 Missing Woman 1
News Take steps with Emotions Anonymous (Sep '10) Mar '16 Deborah 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages