Help!...where can I sell loose gemstones?

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

Utica, NY

#1 Nov 2, 2012
I have 19 loose/cut gemstones, I had a Gemologist appraise them (documented). I'm having a hard time finding a purchaser. I tried local non-corporate jewelers, respected pawn-shops etc. Though they are good to look at I'm hoping to have them sold. Here are the list of stones and the appraised value of them.

Tanzinite 6x8mm oval 1.32ct,$800.00.
Round black diamond 5.4 x 3.7mm .78ct,$500.00.
Round black diamond 5.2 x 4.2mm .84ct,$550.00.
Oval blue star sapphire 8x6mm.$400.00.
Oval blue star sapphire 6.7 x 9.2mm.$400.00.
Square ruby 6.7 x 6.7 x 5mm 2.73ct.$500.00.
Square ruby 6.6 x 7.1 x 5.2mm 2.82ct.(glass filled).$800.00.
Oval ruby, included 7.1 x 8mm 3.58ct.$1000.00.
3 other oval cut ruby price range,$97.00-$150.00.
and other less valuable gemstones, Topaz,Amethyst,Andulsite etc.
---------- I am very flexible on prices, sorry I couldn't provide photo's. Can someone help me figure out where I can sell them?, thank you.
Consumer

Camillus, NY

#2 Nov 2, 2012
Don't go to The New York Connection in Utica or The Potting Shed in Whitesboro. Both are in business to rip you off.
Hommie

Utica, NY

#4 Nov 2, 2012
Avoid Gold Leaf on Commercial Dr. The same owners are the New York Connection owners they will rob you blind.
phil the gemhoarder

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 6, 2013
Certified has a value used close to zero most of the time. Second books and apprasers do not buy anything. Pawn shops are looking or big ticket items & seldom have the time or expertise to evaluate a true wholesale value of any stone. Consignment may be your way to go but I would only give them a pictue in macro with discription unless there is trust. Even in consignment there obligation is to sell there own or showcase what is theirs.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#6 Mar 6, 2013
I would think a jeweler is your best bet. Go to a few and take the best offer.
ralphy

Utica, NY

#7 Mar 6, 2013
Comesky's in West Utica.Best buyer in town.
Yep

Camillus, NY

#8 Mar 6, 2013
potholecity wrote:
I have 19 loose/cut gemstones, I had a Gemologist appraise them (documented). I'm having a hard time finding a purchaser. I tried local non-corporate jewelers, respected pawn-shops etc. Though they are good to look at I'm hoping to have them sold. Here are the list of stones and the appraised value of them.
---------- I am very flexible on prices, sorry I couldn't provide photo's. Can someone help me figure out where I can sell them?, thank you.
It is difficult to sell loose stones and they often sell at a huge discount to the appraised price. You can always sell them on Ebay though if you do a few searches there you will find similar stones selling at 10% to 60% of your appraised prices...

Good Luck!
Jenn

Worcester, MA

#9 Aug 15, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
How many and what do you have left!? I'm interested
Rod

Saint Thomas, Canada

#10 Sep 17, 2013
I have a bunch of opal from Austrailia and wello. Looking to sell rough and cut. rodvan77 at gmail. $5/ct
Questions that bounce

United States

#11 Sep 18, 2013
What are people doing with loose gemstones?
It almost sounds like a strong possibility of the stones being removed from stolen jewelry. The metal was more than likely already sold and melted down. Now you want to sell the stones??
Crime is a huge problem and dealing in stolen goods is as bad as walking in a persons home and stealing it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
UTICAN

Meriden, CT

#12 Sep 18, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
call les gold he will offer you 20 bucks
bnels

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Oct 7, 2013
Loose gemstones don't mean stolen gemstones. I myself have a few rly small loose diamonds and a loose sapphire.
Lisa

United States

#14 Oct 7, 2013
Questions that bounce wrote:
It almost sounds like a strong possibility of the stones being removed from stolen jewelry. The metal was more than likely already sold and melted down. Now you want to sell the stones??
Crime is a huge problem and dealing in stolen goods is as bad as walking in a persons home and stealing it.
I take exception to this!!
I watch and shop JTV or Jewelry television and QVC at least once a wk and have purchased many loose stones to use in my own jewelry settings, as well as just to collect. I am no thief nor do I appreciate being compared to one!
UTICAN

Windsor, CT

#15 Oct 7, 2013
try ebay as long as you know what you have anybody in utica will rape you
Sarah

Sacramento, CA

#16 Oct 16, 2013
Jenn wrote:
<quoted text>
How many and what do you have left!

interested
I am selling many loose gemstones too. If interested email me at sarahrayshay@comcast. Net
darla37

Hamilton, Canada

#17 Nov 2, 2013
Well I can't speak for others but I bought mine on an auction site that deals in estate sales and downsizing of estates. It seems this person was a collector of many type of gemstones...I bid on a high quality 19carat amethyst...it is beautiful and I am wondering what my options are...was going to get it appraised but it may not be worth it according to the postings...
Yehon besue

London, UK

#22 Dec 2, 2013
Gemstone is very good market in London you just need to meet the right people. And loose stone means the stone with jewellery or not been designed to jewellery or it can be rough without been polished so if you takout from old jewellery it called second hand stones not loose stones. So be aware of information sir
Bella

Slidell, LA

#23 Dec 3, 2013
To Judged, How dear you accuse someone of stealing gemstones. I have 2 large safe deposit boxes of loose gemstones that I have been collecting for years so does that make me a thief ? NO !!! It's a hobby of mine. If needed, I could produce receipts for each stone just as I'm sure this other person could so get your head out of you know where and keep slimy comments like that to yourself.
stay away from

Holland Patent, NY

#24 Dec 4, 2013
No to The Potting shed in whitesboro. He will do much better than you.
joycd

Norton, MA

#25 Dec 7, 2013
There are lots of ways to have loose gemstones- eg broken jewelry, or by buying unset stones

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica named top 10 cities to live in the world 8 min Matts Brewery 4
The comets economic windfall for area 12 min Stop the hate 8
Why are CNY / Utica People all mentally stunted? 14 min Greed 23
Local Greaser Angelo "Wopslop" Nole dies! Good ... 16 min Grimy people 4
Italians making the city great once again 16 min Bada bing bada boom 4
Is There Anyone Who is Happy in Utica? 22 min Grimy people 3
Italian Heritage Center in East Utica up for sale 24 min Andy Duh Tuff Guv... 1
Charlie Shove 1 hr Rise and Grind 24
state farm new hartford 1 hr Gays on Varick 41
Utica firefighters cheating 5 hr Tarnished Uticunt... 10