say it aint so

Utica, NY

#1 Jul 29, 2009
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS AND RESPOND:

It seems like a lot of time could be wasted arguing about Utica's problems if we all agreed on the fact that the city is basically a ghetto. If we could reach this unanimous conclusion, then we could move on and talk about Utica in a candid way without worrying about offending anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people who try to sugarcoat the issues plaguing the city, and I'm not sure if they do this because of pride, or because they grew up here, or maybe it's just because they have lots of friends and family who live here.

For instance, my dad calls Cornhill a "working class" neighborhood, and lots of people like to praise Utica's history or its multiculturalism. People will always excitedly tell you that you HAVE TO EAT at such-and-such restaurant, and then when you go eat there it is situated in the dankest and scariest part of town. When they ask how your dining experience was, you just kind of say, "Uh...yeah, it was good" because you know you will be offending them if you say you had a horrible experience. Furthermore, people either ignore or don't talk about the blight. Instead they call Utica "affordable" and they call the houses "quaint."

So I'm wondering what all this reluctance is about admitting that Utica is a GHETTO, because any out-of-towner can quickly tell you that Utica is clearly situated on the wrong side of the tracks. More than being reluctant, people also become offended when you try to say that Utica is a ghetto.

WHY would people react this way when it is SO OBVIOUS? I'm just curious.
family of the year

South Butler, NY

#2 Jul 29, 2009
No, I think everybody's under the illusion that Utica is the Holy See. To most Uticans it's the next best thing to heaven.
hmm

Oneida, NY

#3 Jul 29, 2009
utica is not a ghetto, its the people in it that make it seem ghetto!!!
oldbluetooth

Houston, TX

#4 Jul 29, 2009
Utica isnt bad compared to some places in Ilion that look like Gangs of New York back drops. If we can stop all these Italian chicks from buying cocaine then it would force the dealers to move to New Hartford and we could be #1 in NY again like in 1956
tell your dad

South Butler, NY

#5 Jul 29, 2009
"Working class" and "Cornhill" is an oxymoron. The people in Cornhill neither WORK nor do they have CLASS.
FLUSH TWICE

Lake Placid, NY

#6 Jul 29, 2009
Utica is definitely a ghetto toilet town!
The only people who stay in Utica are losers!
Dammn

Auburn, NY

#7 Jul 29, 2009
say it aint so wrote:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS AND RESPOND:
It seems like a lot of time could be wasted arguing about Utica's problems if we all agreed on the fact that the city is basically a ghetto. If we could reach this unanimous conclusion, then we could move on and talk about Utica in a candid way without worrying about offending anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people who try to sugarcoat the issues plaguing the city, and I'm not sure if they do this because of pride, or because they grew up here, or maybe it's just because they have lots of friends and family who live here.
For instance, my dad calls Cornhill a "working class" neighborhood, and lots of people like to praise Utica's history or its multiculturalism. People will always excitedly tell you that you HAVE TO EAT at such-and-such restaurant, and then when you go eat there it is situated in the dankest and scariest part of town. When they ask how your dining experience was, you just kind of say, "Uh...yeah, it was good" because you know you will be offending them if you say you had a horrible experience. Furthermore, people either ignore or don't talk about the blight. Instead they call Utica "affordable" and they call the houses "quaint."
So I'm wondering what all this reluctance is about admitting that Utica is a GHETTO, because any out-of-towner can quickly tell you that Utica is clearly situated on the wrong side of the tracks. More than being reluctant, people also become offended when you try to say that Utica is a ghetto.
WHY would people react this way when it is SO OBVIOUS? I'm just curious.
You're ghetto for asking a dumb question like that.
Dammn

Auburn, NY

#8 Jul 29, 2009
Why are all of you out-of-towners so worried about Utica?
SUBURB

Lake Placid, NY

#9 Jul 29, 2009
Because Utica's rot and decay will spread to the suburbs..
Once there is nothing left to steal and rob inside the City limits, your local criminals will spread out to the suburbs to continue with their robberies and burglaries.
amy curtain

South Butler, NY

#10 Jul 29, 2009
Dammn wrote:
Why are all of you out-of-towners so worried about Utica?
I think they're worried about keeping it contained. I had some Uticans move into my cul de sac and real estate prices within a square mile of us instantly nose dived. We were worried that Section 8 renters were going to follow, and we thought about ways of dropping hints so the idiot family would move. Eventually they moved because they said they "missed" their hometown. It was a good thing for us, but I don't know why anybody would want to go back to Utica after escaping.
sam

Waterville, NY

#11 Aug 5, 2009
FLUSH TWICE wrote:
Utica is definitely a ghetto toilet town!
The only people who stay in Utica are losers!
Oh you must be one then huh????
Take a few more

New York, NY

#12 Aug 5, 2009
SUBURB wrote:
Because Utica's rot and decay will spread to the suburbs..
Once there is nothing left to steal and rob inside the City limits, your local criminals will spread out to the suburbs to continue with their robberies and burglaries.
The jigs are everywhere. Was down to Herkimer a few times and even riding thru Mohawk jigs walking around, you hill people are soft. Want the answer why they are there? HCCC, to sell you drugs & to impregnate your children, enjoy. Is Utica a crack infested ghetto filled w/useless jig scum of my nutsack? Absolutely
test

Auburn, NY

#13 Aug 6, 2009
test
mafia princess

Mexico, NY

#15 Aug 26, 2009
Utica has a lot of potental, too bad we don't have great politicians to run this city. Furthermore, people don't like change and that is wrong with this city. You get the Gumba's in and they take care of themselves. We can be a flourishing city if that get off their asses and do some work!!!!
alreadt in frankfort

Syracuse, NY

#16 Aug 26, 2009
SUBURB wrote:
Because Utica's rot and decay will spread to the suburbs..
Once there is nothing left to steal and rob inside the City limits, your local criminals will spread out to the suburbs to continue with their robberies and burglaries.
it already has happened in frankfort isn't steve conley your chief of police????

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#17 Jun 17, 2014
say it aint so wrote:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS AND RESPOND:
It seems like a lot of time could be wasted arguing about Utica's problems if we all agreed on the fact that the city is basically a ghetto. If we could reach this unanimous conclusion, then we could move on and talk about Utica in a candid way without worrying about offending anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people who try to sugarcoat the issues plaguing the city, and I'm not sure if they do this because of pride, or because they grew up here, or maybe it's just because they have lots of friends and family who live here.
For instance, my dad calls Cornhill a "working class" neighborhood, and lots of people like to praise Utica's history or its multiculturalism. People will always excitedly tell you that you HAVE TO EAT at such-and-such restaurant, and then when you go eat there it is situated in the dankest and scariest part of town. When they ask how your dining experience was, you just kind of say, "Uh...yeah, it was good" because you know you will be offending them if you say you had a horrible experience. Furthermore, people either ignore or don't talk about the blight. Instead they call Utica "affordable" and they call the houses "quaint."
So I'm wondering what all this reluctance is about admitting that Utica is a GHETTO, because any out-of-towner can quickly tell you that Utica is clearly situated on the wrong side of the tracks. More than being reluctant, people also become offended when you try to say that Utica is a ghetto.
WHY would people react this way when it is SO OBVIOUS? I'm just curious.
Spot on.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#18 Jun 17, 2014
say it aint so wrote:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS AND RESPOND:
It seems like a lot of time could be wasted arguing about Utica's problems if we all agreed on the fact that the city is basically a ghetto. If we could reach this unanimous conclusion, then we could move on and talk about Utica in a candid way without worrying about offending anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people who try to sugarcoat the issues plaguing the city, and I'm not sure if they do this because of pride, or because they grew up here, or maybe it's just because they have lots of friends and family who live here.
For instance, my dad calls Cornhill a "working class" neighborhood, and lots of people like to praise Utica's history or its multiculturalism. People will always excitedly tell you that you HAVE TO EAT at such-and-such restaurant, and then when you go eat there it is situated in the dankest and scariest part of town. When they ask how your dining experience was, you just kind of say, "Uh...yeah, it was good" because you know you will be offending them if you say you had a horrible experience. Furthermore, people either ignore or don't talk about the blight. Instead they call Utica "affordable" and they call the houses "quaint."
So I'm wondering what all this reluctance is about admitting that Utica is a GHETTO, because any out-of-towner can quickly tell you that Utica is clearly situated on the wrong side of the tracks. More than being reluctant, people also become offended when you try to say that Utica is a ghetto.
WHY would people react this way when it is SO OBVIOUS? I'm just curious.
Seems to fit the definition.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ghetto

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#19 Jun 18, 2014
Utica Lies and Riggies wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to fit the definition.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ghetto
Yes it does.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#21 Jun 18, 2014
Utica Positivity Brigade wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man I wish I was on Topix in 2009. This stuff you're digging up is great!
It really is. It's the same recycled garbage year after year and the people there just take it. It truly is pure comedy.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#22 Jun 18, 2014
say it aint so wrote:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS AND RESPOND:
It seems like a lot of time could be wasted arguing about Utica's problems if we all agreed on the fact that the city is basically a ghetto. If we could reach this unanimous conclusion, then we could move on and talk about Utica in a candid way without worrying about offending anyone. It seems like there are a lot of people who try to sugarcoat the issues plaguing the city, and I'm not sure if they do this because of pride, or because they grew up here, or maybe it's just because they have lots of friends and family who live here.
For instance, my dad calls Cornhill a "working class" neighborhood, and lots of people like to praise Utica's history or its multiculturalism. People will always excitedly tell you that you HAVE TO EAT at such-and-such restaurant, and then when you go eat there it is situated in the dankest and scariest part of town. When they ask how your dining experience was, you just kind of say, "Uh...yeah, it was good" because you know you will be offending them if you say you had a horrible experience. Furthermore, people either ignore or don't talk about the blight. Instead they call Utica "affordable" and they call the houses "quaint."
So I'm wondering what all this reluctance is about admitting that Utica is a GHETTO, because any out-of-towner can quickly tell you that Utica is clearly situated on the wrong side of the tracks. More than being reluctant, people also become offended when you try to say that Utica is a ghetto.
WHY would people react this way when it is SO OBVIOUS? I'm just curious.
So well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Hockey team of all-time in Utica (Feb '11) 3 min Must be 69
Shamrock Lady has passed away! 4 min proof 2
Albany Devils are averaging 2,522 fans per game... 18 min Wondering 25
Students forced off birnie bus 49 min bus 1
Can we get a White Castle up here? (Jul '09) 1 hr Florida 19
Last 3 Letters of a word into 3 new words. (Dec '09) 1 hr Honest Babe 1,965
Teachers have Cadilac Pensions? (Jan '13) 2 hr Bob 331
state testing 5 hr manny 76
Hemstroughts half-moons suck now. 6 hr Irene 2
Trattoria Calabria 9 hr loves to eat 4
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) Sun Donna J 634
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]