Windows installed for $225 a scam?

Posted in the Utica Forum

Seriously

Baldwinsville, NY

#1 Jul 16, 2012
Every day the "golden hammer" ad is in the paper saying that the windows are only $225 installed. Is this a bait and switch?

Windows cost around $200 to buy I don't see how it's possible to install them and run a business for $25. What's the catch?
customer

Boston, MA

#2 Jul 16, 2012
Seriously wrote:
Every day the "golden hammer" ad is in the paper saying that the windows are only $225 installed. Is this a bait and switch?
Windows cost around $200 to buy I don't see how it's possible to install them and run a business for $25. What's the catch?
dummy..they cost you, the end customer 200 not the installer. They make money off. The Windows too. You don't know what they are paying. People are so stupid..do you think what you pay for goods in a store is what the store pays too? Dumbass
sad but true

Utica, NY

#3 Jul 16, 2012
Seriously wrote:
Every day the "golden hammer" ad is in the paper saying that the windows are only $225 installed. Is this a bait and switch?

Windows cost around $200 to buy I don't see how it's possible to install them and run a business for $25. What's the catch?
You're correct in your thinking but lack any worldliness. Your east Utica scam mentality is will be your biggest limiting factor. The business buys them for a much lower price than you would otherwise pay for them...let's say $100 because they buy in large volume. So, would you say the same thing about Lowes or Home Depot because of their mark up? Get educated before you come on here and make stuff up.
Contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#4 Jul 16, 2012
The two of you who responded to this guys question are actually the idiots. I'm a contractor and I routinely buy hundreds of windows at one time for new construction projects. This golden hammer guy is a remodeler which means he only probably buys 50 a week at the most.

If you're a contractor and buy windows at wholesale cost, you're going to spend around $160 for the very basic version without any insualated gas or lowE coatings. Add tax, caulk, delivery, insulation, stops, and you're at almost $200 per window in WHOLESALE COST just like the original poster said.

I have no clue what this golden hammer guy does but I'm 100% positive he has never installed a window for $225 unless he felt like doing it for charity. It's simply not possible to make a profit for that price at all, period.

Idiot homeowners like you guys think that windows cost contractors $100 somewhere. Tell me where and I'll pay you a thousand bucks because it would make me an extra $100,000 a year if that was possible.

The golden hammer guy is probably smart and uses that price as an 'ala carte' deal like window world does when they advertise $189/window. The fact is, you'll never buy that window because it doesn't have any insulating properties.

He's walking homeowners up in price by charging for the extras that you need to have, ending a price likely somewhere around $350 -$400 or more.

I love stupid people like you guys who think you have it figured out and call other people stupid when you're the ones dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to windows.

No wonder why the golden hammer can afford to advertise every day in the OD. It's because of morons like you that replied.
utica

Utica, NY

#5 Jul 16, 2012
He raised price $259 last week
The big cheese

Utica, NY

#6 Jul 17, 2012
sad but true wrote:
<quoted text>
You're correct in your thinking but lack any worldliness. Your east Utica scam mentality is will be your biggest limiting factor. The business buys them for a much lower price than you would otherwise pay for them...let's say $100 because they buy in large volume. So, would you say the same thing about Lowes or Home Depot because of their mark up? Get educated before you come on here and make stuff up.
He buys his windows from Triton just like we all do.Replacement windows are all different sizes because they are custom fit. There is no buying in quantity just to have them on hand. I'm waiting for his Bosnian chimney flashing technique to bite him in the butt.
Level 4

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7 Jul 17, 2012
I'm a contractor also and I was wondering about the "golden hammer". I'm not going to trash him. But the other guy is right no way 225.00. Windows sell by united inches ie. all different sizes. He must go in and strong arm the customers. Or low ball the bid and ask for extras when he 25% into the job. I call it holding the customer hostage. Its sad for me to say I know more than one contractor like that.

Golden Hammer/ Bosnian....lol
The Big Cheese

Utica, NY

#8 Jul 17, 2012
He could be advertising Wincore and installing Silverline.
That way he could make money on them.
I'm in the business 40 years and use Simonton 5500 series double hungs.
225.00 is almost my cost for a 101 UI unit.
Again, we're buying from the same man.
He lives in Triton's showroom.
utica

Utica, NY

#9 Jul 17, 2012
You gays are jealous
Looky Here

Utica, NY

#10 Jul 17, 2012
R A Dudrak, unbeatable quality, professional installation, and competively priced. Need I say more?
The big cheese

Utica, NY

#11 Jul 17, 2012
Looky Here wrote:
R A Dudrak, unbeatable quality, professional installation, and competively priced. Need I say more?
Years ago I responded to an ad from Dudrak looking for installers. He told me he would give me 20.00 per window and guarantee me ten windows per day if I could put one in every half hour.
If you know anyting about the business the time consuming part isn't getting the window into the opening, it's retrimming and wrapping with aluminum that separates the men from the boys.
Level 4

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#12 Jul 18, 2012
The big cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
Years ago I responded to an ad from Dudrak looking for installers. He told me he would give me 20.00 per window and guarantee me ten windows per day if I could put one in every half hour.
If you know anyting about the business the time consuming part isn't getting the window into the opening, it's retrimming and wrapping with aluminum that separates the men from the boys.
Can't do it in a 1/2 hour. Even if you have the windows brought into the house the furniture moved and someone cleaning up. Oh what about lead ababtement. R.A. may have a good business, but he is a scammer also.
installer

Baldwinsville, NY

#13 Jul 18, 2012
I've seen quotes from RA dudrak, he charges $100 to cap them plus a fee for disposing of the old windows. Advertised price =$259 I think but once you add in the stuff you need for a good install he charges about $400.

Heard the old man is a real nasty piece of work but the son is at least nice to deal with. They install farley windows from canada which are a lower grade window.

the guy mentioning the simonton 5500's, those are good windows for sure and yes they run over $200 at our prices just to purchase.

For a quality installation of replacement windows with a good quality window, expect to pay $400-$500 each one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teachers, Students Call For Governor Cuomo To F... 8 min Teacher 255
Sex W/ Teacher 8 min Tony 9
UPD's Union Scumbag wants MORE $$ from YOU! 9 min Reap - Sow 16
Vince's u-pull-it is worthless (Jul '12) 11 min Jake 36
Bullying Utica judge censured for calling lawye... 16 min Repeat offender P... 29
Notice!! Smokers who congregate around store en... 16 min Jake 16
Uticans Qualified for Nano 24 min CNY Law Excrement 5
Why's did ND trying to hide -PIonish- underage ... 4 hr Proof 7
parents of ND teach girls drinking and getting ... 10 hr 8 bottles of 12
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 12 hr julius 535
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:09 pm PST

NBC Sports 9:09PM
Reports: Browns still in the mix for Josh McCown
NBC Sports11:14 PM
Report: Kyle Wilson not expected back with Jets
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
The Jets Best Non-QB Options at No. 6
NFL 5:17 AM
Kiko Alonso will 'definitely' be 100 percent by camp
Yahoo! Sports 7:21 AM
Mad Dash: Rex Ryan now driving a huge Buffalo Bills truck
Bleacher Report 9:23 AM
Report: Chris Canty Released by Ravens
Bleacher Report10:18 AM
Fact or Fiction: Breaking Down Revis, Mariota Rumors
NBC Sports 3:23 PM
Casey McGehee's move to Giants a homecoming of sorts
Yahoo! Sports 4:05 PM
Browns agree to terms with QB McCown
Bleacher Report10:25 AM
Fan Surprised by Gift from Giants