Dozen Men Arrested Utica, N.Y., Police Park Sex Sting

Jun 26, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

A dozen men ranging in age from 47 to 79 years old have been arrested in Utica, N.Y. after an undercover operation in a local park.

Comments
1 - 20 of 316 Comments Last updated Aug 1, 2012
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

Note the age of those arrested. They came from a time when being out was not popular and at times nearly impossible. Cruising came out of being closeted, "many of these men had families." If the area was secluded enough, I frankly wouldn't care. But there are many different avenues gay and closeted men can take these days (internet, bars, clubs, etc.) making cruising spots, especially in urban areas, kind of an anachronism.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

I don't condone the behavior of these men at all. They look like a sad parade of married heterosexuals who were out to get their rocks off on the side. What they are accused of is dangerous, offensive, and unhealthy.

However, I have to question the wisdom of the Police Department in posting their pictures on Facebook where people can leave insulting messages for them. That smacks to me of harassment. Can't the Police Department afford to host their own website where they can post these pictures (if they must post them at all)? Looking over their Facebook page, it looks to me as though the P.D. is acting more like a college fraternity than a law enforcement agency.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

JMichael in Fort Worth wrote:
I don't condone the behavior of these men at all. They look like a sad parade of married heterosexuals who were out to get their rocks off on the side. What they are accused of is dangerous, offensive, and unhealthy.
However, I have to question the wisdom of the Police Department in posting their pictures on Facebook where people can leave insulting messages for them. That smacks to me of harassment. Can't the Police Department afford to host their own website where they can post these pictures (if they must post them at all)? Looking over their Facebook page, it looks to me as though the P.D. is acting more like a college fraternity than a law enforcement agency.
This is nothing new. In other days, arrested guys' names were put in the local papers. In those terrible days, some hardware stores were advised to STOP selling rat poison, for so many men would end up suicidal after that scandal. This was, happily, a long time ago.

I cannot believe that people are still relying on that age old behavior! I thought this was all done on line now days! I do agree that they are probably scared sad lonely guys, who are not computer savy enough, or just too bottled up and so deep in the closet, a certain LARRY CRAIG'S name comes to mind just now.
Kinsey was Right

Desert Hot Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

These are the kind of things that happen in a repressed society.

“Unconvinced”

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

Kinsey was Right wrote:
These are the kind of things that happen in a repressed society.
That's exactly right. If we make gay kids too afraid to even tell their parents about themselves, if we prevent any and all educational efforts to teach gay people about themselves in schools, if we discourage and denigrate any gay role models, then I don't know who's surprised when we wind up with gay men who don't know how to conduct themselves. As long as society keeps teaching that homosexuality is something to be hidden, then this is exactly what we'll get.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>This is nothing new. In other days, arrested guys' names were put in the local papers. In those terrible days, some hardware stores were advised to STOP selling rat poison, for so many men would end up suicidal after that scandal. This was, happily, a long time ago.
I cannot believe that people are still relying on that age old behavior! I thought this was all done on line now days! I do agree that they are probably scared sad lonely guys, who are not computer savy enough, or just too bottled up and so deep in the closet, a certain LARRY CRAIG'S name comes to mind just now.
Right! I was fortunate enough to befriend a man who the community in Fort Worth nicknamed "the Gay Godfather". He dressed, looked, and sounded like Grandpa Walton, but he knew all the stories and exactly where "the bodies were buried."

He told me that back in the 1950's and 1960's, the local police used to raid private homes and arrest same sex couples just for dancing. They would publish names and addresses, and many people would lose their jobs, be evicted from their rental homes, be cut off by their families, and even committed suicide as a result.

He also told me that during the 1960 and even into the 1970's, the police would routinely patrol the parking lots outside of the gay and lesbian bars, recording license plate numbers.

I'm thankful I didn't live (as an adult) in that era ...
frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Considering grinder, folks should not do this...
KKKafeteria KKKristains

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

How completely naive of you.

This is not about "wisdom" or one website versus another website for posting photos. This is homophobic, power mad police trying to utterly destroy individuals who are guilty of what should be a misdemeanors.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

KKKafeteria KKKristains wrote:
<quoted text>
How completely naive of you.
This is not about "wisdom" or one website versus another website for posting photos. This is homophobic, power mad police trying to utterly destroy individuals who are guilty of what should be a misdemeanors.
Were it not for the fact that the police department in question posts pictures of EVERYONE it arrests for ANY reason whatsoever, I might agree with you.

Since they do treat everyone equally, I don't think you can accuse them of being homophobic. They would appear to be attempting to destroy everyone they arrest.
KKKafeteria KKKristains

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Were it not for the fact that the police department in question posts pictures of EVERYONE it arrests for ANY reason whatsoever, I might agree with you.
Since they do treat everyone equally, I don't think you can accuse them of being homophobic. They would appear to be attempting to destroy everyone they arrest.
I didn't accuse you of being homophobic. I accused you of being naive.

I'd have to go to the site and actually investigate that they post the photos similarly of everyone who is arrested, as you claim, and as they might claim. Because people who are arrested are innocent. And because not all crimes are the same. And because police departments lie, and because police departments make exceptions all the time - as when cops get arrested, for example.

Now, mug shots for those convicted is something else. They, by definition, are not innocent. Unless, you know, the cops abused them to get the conviction, etc.
Professor

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

I heard that Ray Philo was there too but was let go because he was the chief in new hartford. WTF ????
KKKafeteria KKKristains

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

Oh I mis read your post about who I was accusing of being homophobic. My sloppy error.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
I didn't accuse you of being homophobic. I accused you of being naive.
I'd have to go to the site and actually investigate that they post the photos similarly of everyone who is arrested, as you claim, and as they might claim. Because people who are arrested are innocent. And because not all crimes are the same. And because police departments lie, and because police departments make exceptions all the time - as when cops get arrested, for example.
Now, mug shots for those convicted is something else. They, by definition, are not innocent. Unless, you know, the cops abused them to get the conviction, etc.
I didn't say you accused me of being homophobic. I said you accused the police of being homophobic, and mistakenly.

I dislike interacting with Topix posters like you for two reasons: you have very poor reading comprehension skills, and you express ill-informed, poorly researched opinions based on (frequently) false assumptions.

Maybe you should have gone and visited the Facebook page before you ever made a comment. That would have been the intelligent thing to do. So far, nothing you've contributed to this thread is of any value, and all you've done is to make yourself look foolish and petulant. Consider yourself ignored from this point on.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Level 1

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

Oh I mis read your post about who I was accusing of being homophobic. My sloppy error.
Indeed.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
Moreover, when anyone is arrested for anything it is public informmation which everyone has a right to know. Polie departments have been successfully sued for preventing people from having access to arrest information. As a matter of law, ANYONE can walk into a police station and ask to see the arrest records without having to give a reason, and legally the police cannot refuse.

(In 1999, I was walking out of a Home Depot in a crowd of about 15 people when a woman driving a car in the parking lot turned suddenly into the group of people I was walking with. Everyone ran to get out of the way, but I was struck by the car. The police and an ambulance came and I was taken to a nearby hospital.

I attempted to get the police report of teh accident so I could file an insurace claim for my hospital bill. But the police refused to give me any information on the accident, despite a dozen witnesses who were also nearly struck by the vehicle.

I went to the police station a few times for the information, and not only was I denied nearly all the records on the accident, the ONE document they gave me had false or incorrect information regarding the car that struck me. The police threatened me with arrest if I did not leave teh police station or if I returned there again. I wonder why they did that.

I finally called the Internal Affiars Division of teh Suffolk County Police Dept. and they got me the correct information. Seems teh car that struck me was owned by a cop.)
Button up Your Overcoat

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

LGBT shouldn't be taking the rap for exhibitionists
The one that exposed himself and masturbated would be an exhibitionist; not necessarily straight; gay; or bisexual
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibitionism
ILIONPARENT

Long Island City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

MR GRIPPE works as janitor in our high school. I SURE HOPE HE GETS FIRED FOR THIS! DISGUSTING!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

Judged:

FaFoxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Moreover, when anyone is arrested for anything it is public informmation which everyone has a right to know. Polie departments have been successfully sued for preventing people from having access to arrest information. As a matter of law, ANYONE can walk into a police station and ask to see the arrest records without having to give a reason, and legally the police cannot refuse.
(In 1999, I was walking out of a Home Depot in a crowd of about 15 people when a woman driving a car in the parking lot turned suddenly into the group of people I was walking with. Everyone ran to get out of the way, but I was struck by the car. The police and an ambulance came and I was taken to a nearby hospital.
I attempted to get the police report of teh accident so I could file an insurace claim for my hospital bill. But the police refused to give me any information on the accident, despite a dozen witnesses who were also nearly struck by the vehicle.
I went to the police station a few times for the information, and not only was I denied nearly all the records on the accident, the ONE document they gave me had false or incorrect information regarding the car that struck me. The police threatened me with arrest if I did not leave teh police station or if I returned there again. I wonder why they did that.
I finally called the Internal Affiars Division of teh Suffolk County Police Dept. and they got me the correct information. Seems teh car that struck me was owned by a cop.)
Did she run over your head? That would explain a LOT.
Janitor out of the Closet

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

ILIONPARENT wrote:
MR GRIPPE works as janitor in our high school. I SURE HOPE HE GETS FIRED FOR THIS! DISGUSTING!
Was he cheating on you; sugar?
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

...and No Zdoubt the majority of these men will Identify as Straight men....cause' OUT and Proud Gay men have No reason to look for seedy sexploits....will there be a few gay guys - probabaly - but they're NOT the norm nowadays....Most of these STINGS catch MARRIED MEN aka Larry Craig etc etc....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••