schools teaching trades

schools teaching trades

Posted in the Utica Forum

common sense

Herkimer, NY

#1 Mar 6, 2013
Are any trades being taught in high school anymore or just boces.I learned welding in high school and have made a living for the past twenty five years.Just wondering if kids learn basic trades these days.
common sense

Herkimer, NY

#2 Mar 7, 2013
I post a question about kids learning trades and people on topix judged my question.Proof this site is filled with mostly losers in their parents basements with no concept of the real world.

Utica34
Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Albany, NY

#3 Mar 7, 2013
common sense wrote:
I post a question about kids learning trades and people on topix judged my question.Proof this site is filled with mostly losers in their parents basements with no concept of the real world.
Yeah it's ridiculous Isn't it.

As far as your question I'm not sure. I know I took industrial arts in high school and it was pretty cool. It didnt help me after college but at least it exposes students to a possible career after schooling while at the same time still continuing the learning process and developing young minds.
common sense

Herkimer, NY

#4 Mar 7, 2013
thanks for your intelligent answer utica34. I very seldom hear of a kid graduating going into a trade and was wondering if they are exposed to them in high school anymore.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#5 Mar 7, 2013
common sense wrote:
thanks for your intelligent answer utica34. I very seldom hear of a kid graduating going into a trade and was wondering if they are exposed to them in high school anymore.
And when I said it was cool I mean it was cool. We took a whole year of it and did everything from all kinds of welding, to woodworking, to making rubber stamps and everyone was required to take it. The wood working actually came in handy when I was fixing up my first house. At least I had the very basic knowledge of cutting, measuring, working with power tools, etc. I would certainly hoped its a program still offered.
common sense

Herkimer, NY

#6 Mar 7, 2013
Thank you again and you have proven to me our schools should still be teaching the basic trades to kids.I spent alot of time in shop class in school and have made a very good living with my hands ever since.Just seems most kids I talk to dont even think its a option to make a living in a trade anymore.

Utica34
Level 4

Albany, NY

#7 Mar 7, 2013
common sense wrote:
Thank you again and you have proven to me our schools should still be teaching the basic trades to kids.I spent alot of time in shop class in school and have made a very good living with my hands ever since.Just seems most kids I talk to dont even think its a option to make a living in a trade anymore.
Unfortunately it's not considered by a lot of today's kids because its work! It's not easy. Lol
common sense

Herkimer, NY

#8 Mar 9, 2013
Working for a living shouldnt be considered a bad thing.
hank hill

Cary, IL

#9 Mar 9, 2013
As far as I know BOCES is the only place to learn a trade while in hs. Took nursing in BOCES, graduated, worked as a CNA until I took my boards, passed them, 1 of 2 ppl in our class to pass them first time, and worked as a nurse for a couple years, found out it was more paperwork than patient care and gave it up. The classes are still out there, but its not "cool" to take a class that will get you a job after high school. I didnt give a shit about being cool, I just wanted a job that would pay me better than flipping burgers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
to WHEELER FAMILY SICK COMMENTS MADE ABOUT YOU 2 min punk smith 6
fat WELFARE SLOB PRETENDS TO GET WHITESBORO ADD... 3 min punk smith 3
Esche thread deleted...too hot to handle? 4 min punk smith 80
attn SPINELESS TABER SLOB PUNK WELFARE COWARD 7 min punk smith 3
GED programs 7 min Einstein 1
Guess who didnt graduate from ND 9 min Dave Smith is tiny 58
Billy Wheeler 14 min how fat r u Billy 20
rob esche getting divorced 17 min Typical Esche Move 40
Tony's Washington Mills 4 hr Officer hottie 9
Proctor graduation 14 hr Proctard Fail 36