|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

By ELIZABETH COOPER
Observer-Dispatch
Posted Sep 15, 2013 @ 07:05 AM

The next largest project in recent memory is the $125 million Center
for Computer Chip Commercialization at SUNYIT, which seemed huge when
it was announced, but now pales in comparison.

And while such a large project might seem overly ambitious to some,
local skeptics might find comfort in the fact that the latest
initiative is not an oddity standing alone in a barren landscape.

It’s part of a comprehensive strategy that’s already underway to make
the state into a center for computer technology research, development
and manufacturing.

And so far, the plan seems to be working, experts and industry insiders
said.

“There is no question about whether New York is becoming the center of
the industry,” said Peter Singer, editor in chief of Solid State
Technology magazine, which keeps a close eye on nanotechnology.“To me,
it is very believable that this could happen.”

For at least a decade, major nanotechnology players have been attracted
by the intellectual center SUNY’s College of Nanoscale Science and
Engineering has created in Albany. And now, Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s 2011
announcement of a $4.8 billion partnership with private companies —
including Intel, Samsung, TSMC, IBM and Global Foundries — to develop
the next generation of computer chip manufacturing is gaining traction.

“The biggest companies are behind it,” Singer said.“They really
believe it will give them the competitive edge that will make it
unbeatable, and they have the wherewithal to make it happen.”

Unique partnership

Much of that research and development is going on at the NanoCollege’s
Albany headquarters.

Meanwhile, spinoff technology centers operated in partnership with the
school have been established in some of the state’s aging manufacturing
cities.

Rochester and Buffalo each have a piece of the action. But Utica now is
the most ambitious and has the biggest commitment of funding.

The Rochester area is home to a $200 million center for excellence for
the fabrication and packaging of micro-electronics and also, a $100
million solar technology facility.

Buffalo soon will be home to a $250 million state-of-the-art facility
for pharmaceutical research, development and testing.

Much of the capital for those endeavors will come from the private
sector, just like the Utica initiatives.

Ian Steff, vice president for global policy and technology partnerships
at the Washington D.C.-based Semiconductor Industry Association, said
the United States has pioneered such public-private sector
partnerships, some involving multiple companies, and it’s paying off.
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Have you actually worn a hole into your pe nis yet? Lol
Utica Pride

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Nanotechnology Face wrote:
Have you actually worn a hole into your pe nis yet? Lol
No,just like spreading the great news. For some odd reason you live in Clifton Park and get off by putting down another community. Talked about having a warped and sad existence.
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Utica Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
No,just like spreading the great news. For some odd reason you live in Clifton Park and get off by putting down another community. Talked about having a warped and sad existence.
Yeah....that's great news! Enjoy talking about it for the next 20 years while the world passes you by! Lol
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Utica Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw. Guess you missed this. Not shocked since the OD is usually a few months behind actual news. Lol

But keep paying for EDGE! Lol

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Ma...
Utica Pride

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Btw. Guess you missed this. Not shocked since the OD is usually a few months behind actual news. Lol
But keep paying for EDGE! Lol
http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Ma...
Great news good for NY. It proves that Nano and other big companies are investing here again. The goal is to keep our young here.

I am not pro or anti edge. I am pro development in this area. I guess you must have an old wound with edge.
If a 45 billion dollar investment is coming to the area then I applaud everyone.

Why do you find it necessary to put down this area? I don't get it. Something real personal and bad must have happened to you. You're constantly on here trashing the community.
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

Utica Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
Great news good for NY. It proves that Nano and other big companies are investing here again. The goal is to keep our young here.
I am not pro or anti edge. I am pro development in this area. I guess you must have an old wound with edge.
If a 45 billion dollar investment is coming to the area then I applaud everyone.
Why do you find it necessary to put down this area? I don't get it. Something real personal and bad must have happened to you. You're constantly on here trashing the community.
Keep touching yourself buddy. Lol. Yes...the foot forward that NYS will put forth is the utica region! I mean they do have half moon cookies! Lol
I notice

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

Judged:

I notice that when other threads he starts don't fit his narrative of all the trillions of dollars beating a path to the Mohawk Valley "Utica Pride" runs off and starts another one always with the big glowing idiotic OD articles. They could show the OD a banana in a jar with wires rigged in it to a meter and the OD would start with the "BREAKTHROUGH!!" articles!
<quoted text>
Keep touching yourself buddy. Lol. Yes...the foot forward that NYS will put forth is the utica region! I mean they do have half moon cookies! Lol
Utica Pride

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

I notice wrote:
I notice that when other threads he starts don't fit his narrative of all the trillions of dollars beating a path to the Mohawk Valley "Utica Pride" runs off and starts another one always with the big glowing idiotic OD articles. They could show the OD a banana in a jar with wires rigged in it to a meter and the OD would start with the "BREAKTHROUGH!!" articles!<quoted text>
No I put this story in my other post. It's far better to have pride in where you live then not. Where is your criticisms of the same people that post negative comments in multiple narratives. You must be part of the hate Utica negative Nellie gang. The ones that give purpose to their live life to share hate. If you don't like it move. If you don't live here,why should you care. I love living in Utica,NY.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

Utica Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
No I put this story in my other post. It's far better to have pride in where you live then not. Where is your criticisms of the same people that post negative comments in multiple narratives. You must be part of the hate Utica negative Nellie gang. The ones that give purpose to their live life to share hate. If you don't like it move. If you don't live here,why should you care. I love living in Utica,NY.
Far better that pride is trust. There have been so many unfulfilled promises made for so many years that you can't blame anyone with half a brain and half an ounce of common sense for being skeptical about any pro-development announcement. That does not equate to hating the area. It equates to hating how this area has been run into the ground by a corrupt and inept political class that always seems to fall into the same mistakes their predecessors did regardless how good their intentions were when they ran for office.

Sure, we can all put on the rose colored glasses and hope for the best but history shows us that we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

On the subject of the nano center I want to ask something. Who is paying for everything here? CNSE(SUNY) and EDGE are publicly funded entities. My read is that it is CNSE that is submitting the site, building and mitigation plan to the Corps of Engineers and that they are "the owners". If you peel back the layers of hype you find that it is the taxpayers that are footing the bill for this "build it and they will come" scheme. Where am I wrong? If I'm not then isn't this latest announcement just more of the same and even more reason to be skeptical?
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

I notice wrote:
I notice that when other threads he starts don't fit his narrative of all the trillions of dollars beating a path to the Mohawk Valley "Utica Pride" runs off and starts another one always with the big glowing idiotic OD articles. They could show the OD a banana in a jar with wires rigged in it to a meter and the OD would start with the "BREAKTHROUGH!!" articles!<quoted text>
Pretty much.
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Far better that pride is trust. There have been so many unfulfilled promises made for so many years that you can't blame anyone with half a brain and half an ounce of common sense for being skeptical about any pro-development announcement. That does not equate to hating the area. It equates to hating how this area has been run into the ground by a corrupt and inept political class that always seems to fall into the same mistakes their predecessors did regardless how good their intentions were when they ran for office.
Sure, we can all put on the rose colored glasses and hope for the best but history shows us that we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.
On the subject of the nano center I want to ask something. Who is paying for everything here? CNSE(SUNY) and EDGE are publicly funded entities. My read is that it is CNSE that is submitting the site, building and mitigation plan to the Corps of Engineers and that they are "the owners". If you peel back the layers of hype you find that it is the taxpayers that are footing the bill for this "build it and they will come" scheme. Where am I wrong? If I'm not then isn't this latest announcement just more of the same and even more reason to be skeptical?
The utican region could never afford to build something like this with a "build it and the will come" attitude. This is all smoke and mirrors. Sh it, utica can't even afford to pay its existing loans! Lol
Jerry

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

This is not a bridge to nowhere. It is a nano to nothing scheme.
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

Jerry wrote:
This is not a bridge to nowhere. It is a nano to nothing scheme.
I think it's safe to assume your reference went over 99% of the utica regions populations heads. Lol
Cretin sux azzzz

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I think it's safe to assume your reference went over 99% of the utica regions populations heads. Lol
The moronic hate filled Cretin is posting above. He sux azzzz and likes it.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
The utican region could never afford to build something like this with a "build it and the will come" attitude. This is all smoke and mirrors. Sh it, utica can't even afford to pay its existing loans! Lol
It's not just the Utica region. It's New York State. Or, more accurately, the taxpayers.

I agree this is smoke and mirrors. All of the political backslapping is nothing more that cover for the fact that this is just more of the same.
Mr Moneybags

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Follow the money
Cretin sux azzzz

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Mr Moneybags wrote:
Follow the money
...and the dirty azzzzwholes because they lead to Cretin's lips. Cretin sux azzzz.
RiggiesRUs

Chittenango, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This, this, a thousand times this.
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not just the Utica region. It's New York State. Or, more accurately, the taxpayers.
I agree this is smoke and mirrors. All of the political backslapping is nothing more that cover for the fact that this is just more of the same.
I have a 7 billion dollar chip plant 10 miles from my front door. There's plans for a 15 billion dollar one that have been submitted. Seems like reality here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••