windows for $259? SCAM!
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Local

Rome, NY

#24 Feb 21, 2013
upset wrote:
I want to install windows in my home for the fall. Everyday in the paper is a brightly colored ad for "Golden Hammer" windows at $259 installed.
It says free estimates. Why would you need a free estimate if it says they are $259 installed? RED FLAG!
So the price seems really good and I call them for an estimate as well as RA dudrak in holland patent. Both companies are complete liars. This does not include things like disposing of the old widows, replacing the little trim pieces that have to be replaced inside, trimming the outside of the window, energy efficient glass, and the list goes on.
RA dudrak ended up being cheaper but both were over $400 by the time the necessities were factored in. I think this is a total scam. Now I might not have had a problem paying $400 or more dollars if I knew that in the beginning but to lure people in with these fake prices is a scam in my opinion.
Also, guess what I asked the 'golden hammer'? What if the window has a problem a couple years from now? He said I'd have to talk to the manufacturer because they don't warranty anything with the actual window.
You should not make your self look more stupid than you are. Free estimate not knowing what size are your windows. I am sure his ad covers stander size windows. I am sure there are type of people who think they can get there bay windows installed for $259 so that is why he have free estimate.
And warranty no contractor or store (electronic or appliances wont give you warranty) you must call 1800 and report a claim and go from there. In fact I bought a new cell and 2 month down the road I had a problem and had to call 1800 which was fine with me. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND HOW THINGS WORK BEFORE YOU POST A COMMENT.

“Hello”

Level 7

Since: Jan 13

Ithaca, NY

#25 Feb 21, 2013
Just hire a Bosnian to do it. They'll do it cheap and even work Sundays.
contractor

Minoa, NY

#26 Feb 21, 2013
UticaFan wrote:
Just don't skimp out on cheap windows, you will pay for them over and over in energy costs.
Look for the LOWEST U-Value you can find. Ideally you want a U value of 2.0 or lower for a nice high quality window.
Look for metal locking hardware, Low E coating, Argon (Or better is Krypton) gas fill, insulated sashes, reinforced sashes, non recycled plastic, and the window spacers are REALLY important too. Make sure they are NOT aluminum. It's highly conductive. The spacers should also be U-Channeled to help prevent thermal transfer, keep the seal from breaking and losing all your gas, plus it will condensate on the inside as well if the seal breaks.
If you can afford triple pane, it's better than double.
Happy shopping!
Looking for the lowest u value possible isn't always the answer, although u value can be a good indicator of quality..20 (not 2.0) is as good as it gets, which will require triple pane krypton gas.

The spacers are important but steel is just as bad as aluminum. Foam spacers are best to reduce condensation and edge of glass temperature.

You must be a window salesman, you obviously have some experience.
aglia e olio

Whitesboro, NY

#27 Feb 21, 2013
U equals 1 over R
UTICAN

Utica, NY

#30 Feb 23, 2013
Foolish wrote:
I bought all my windows from Grossmans Bargins put them in myself and they've been great. Scumbag companies just trying to screw people over. I've had their estimates.
YOU ARE STUPID
Anonymous

Whitesboro, NY

#32 Feb 24, 2013
upset wrote:
I want to install windows in my home for the fall. Everyday in the paper is a brightly colored ad for "Golden Hammer" windows at $259 installed.
It says free estimates. Why would you need a free estimate if it says they are $259 installed? RED FLAG!
So the price seems really good and I call them for an estimate as well as RA dudrak in holland patent. Both companies are complete liars. This does not include things like disposing of the old widows, replacing the little trim pieces that have to be replaced inside, trimming the outside of the window, energy efficient glass, and the list goes on.
RA dudrak ended up being cheaper but both were over $400 by the time the necessities were factored in. I think this is a total scam. Now I might not have had a problem paying $400 or more dollars if I knew that in the beginning but to lure people in with these fake prices is a scam in my opinion.
Also, guess what I asked the 'golden hammer'? What if the window has a problem a couple years from now? He said I'd have to talk to the manufacturer because they don't warranty anything with the actual window.
You really want a sore touch-hole call NY Sash...my cousin paid $12,000.00 for ten windows...only 1 was a small bow, the rest were all under 101 cumulative inches..talk about taking in the rear...Oh they did a nice job but for $1000.00+ a window they should be able to be opened and closed from your living room lazyboy...

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Waterville, NY

#33 Jul 30, 2013
Cost wise? Installed and warranted it can be 600 to 1200 for a double hung depending on the size.
nice

Whitesboro, NY

#35 Aug 22, 2013
UticaFan wrote:
Cost wise? Installed and warranted it can be 600 to 1200 for a double hung depending on the size.
You want good windows? I just had alliance window install some.
Reasonable, great windows and great job. they dont even advertise.
People who use them just know. He also did some other things in
my home and while doing other work, he corrects little things at
no charge, he just does them. i saw your faucet needed a seal so
I put one on etc. Real good outfit
Timothy

Clark Mills, NY

#36 Oct 10, 2013
RA Dudrak, The Window King, has terrible service when problems arise after installation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dyke on a Byke 2 min your mother 7
Mega gf 4 min Weirdo 53
Utica Common Council 15 min LT Jr 35
Family Court and PTSD 31 min Rich Porter 2
Whats Angella Allesandro story? (May '10) 50 min laura 19
are there illegals being schooled ?????????? 1 hr your mother 27
Kennedy plaza (Jul '15) 1 hr your mother 15
Observer dispatch front page gossip 4 hr Observer 29
Slocum Urgent Care 4 hr Nurse 40

Utica Jobs