Craigslist scam
Not a sucker

Newark, NJ

#1 Feb 13, 2013
I've been looking for a car for a few weeks. Today I check Craigslist and see a 2005 Acura RL for $2500 in great condition. I email them and give them my phone number to reach me at but instead of calling me I get a email back from them with this sad sucker story.

Hi,
The car is in perfect condition, no electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. No scratches, never been repainted. I have all the car manuals, title,documents. I'm selling this car because my child of only 25 died 4 months ago in a car accident,a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 14 years old. The car belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The final price is $2,000. Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay's Buyer Protection Program. I just need your full name,full shipping address, home/cell # so I can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees). eBay will contact you with all the Transaction/shipping details you will need.We will take care of the shipping so don't worry.
We hope to hear soon from you.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this e-Mail if you don't have the amount available, or if you don't intend to be serious.
Are they freaking kidding me? Do not have any dealings with the email address [email protected]
Level 2

Since: Apr 12

Ithaca, NY

#2 Feb 13, 2013
Crap, does this mean I won't get the car?
whtrashsave

Fayetteville, NY

#3 Feb 13, 2013
Not a sucker wrote:
I've been looking for a car for a few weeks. Today I check Craigslist and see a 2005 Acura RL for $2500 in great condition. I email them and give them my phone number to reach me at but instead of calling me I get a email back from them with this sad sucker story.
Hi,
The car is in perfect condition, no electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. No scratches, never been repainted. I have all the car manuals, title,documents. I'm selling this car because my child of only 25 died 4 months ago in a car accident,a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 14 years old. The car belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The final price is $2,000. Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay's Buyer Protection Program. I just need your full name,full shipping address, home/cell # so I can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees). eBay will contact you with all the Transaction/shipping details you will need.We will take care of the shipping so don't worry.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this e-Mail if you don't have the amount available, or if you don't intend to be serious.
Are they freaking kidding me? Do not have any dealings with the email address [email protected]
Then you should have asked for their ebay account. Its actually better to go through ebay.

The problem is, if they didn't give you their ebay account and still wanted your name, this would mean it was a scam.
wondering

Whitesboro, NY

#4 Feb 13, 2013
yeah, how does it go from finding it on craiglist to wanting to use ebay?
whtrashsave

Fayetteville, NY

#5 Feb 13, 2013
wondering wrote:
yeah, how does it go from finding it on craiglist to wanting to use ebay?
Never mind.

Craigslist is free, so I assumed they wanted to get around the fee of posting.

But I just read the protection plan, an it must be listed to use it, so you are correct, there trying to scam an get info.

If I were you, I would contact Ebay an let them know what was said an give them the email address in case they have a profile with that email.
hank hill

Naperville, IL

#6 Feb 13, 2013
Not a sucker wrote:
Hi,
where are they selling the car from? Google the areas sccidents and see if the story is even legit and report them.
tdoobzzz

West Hartford, CT

#7 Feb 14, 2013
It sounds like another Nigerian scam. The wording, the spelling, the Poor English. These people are very clever, theyre constantly coming up with new ways to scam people...first the apartment scams and now this. Never trust anyone on craigslist that gives a sob story, watch for extremely poor spelling and grammer, the mention of God, religion, Nigeria, traveling for work ir other excuses to not meet or deal with you directly, CocaCola, deposits, MoneyGram, Western Union, requests for personal info, really anything that strikes you as funny.
from shelly drive marcy

Hamilton, NY

#8 Feb 14, 2013
the guys number is 315-790
LiveFromMomsBase ment

Syracuse, NY

#9 Feb 14, 2013
Hello. I am a glamour pageant model stuck in a hotel in Liberia. They will not give back my passport and travel documents at the counter because these muggers took my handpurse. In my handpurse was all my money. The muggers hit me and beat me and robbed me and left me for dead after the dog breeding show for I am a dog breeder. They will not give back my documents and passport. Oh please help me for I am forlorn with calamity. Yes send me help through Western Union for it is the fastest way to send money. Oh please help for I have no money for food and water.
aksokol

Burlingame, CA

#10 Feb 15, 2013
When using sites like eBay or Craigslist, he only way to protect yourself from fraud is to use Escrow.com - the only fully licensed and accredited online escrow company in the U.S.
Alwayzalady30

West Lafayette, IN

#11 Feb 20, 2013
Im so glad I just googled the add and found this site. I also recieved this email today. I have gone in and notified CraigsList about the add being Spam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CNY Corruption 12 min well until 2
Is Utica used to NO NANO now? 13 min TAZZ MVCC FAILED 19
Why is DA McNamara's office investigated for co... 16 min TAZZ MVCC FAILED 17
News Utica parolee faces multiple drug, weapons charges 22 min Black IQ of 70 1
Would you do Chelsea Cinton? 1 hr Hummer 2
Most over and under rated restaurants...a poll 1 hr Disappointed 20
Mohawk Veterinary Clinic in East Herkimer 1 hr This true 1
Why was Louis Brindisi charged with harassment ... 2 hr DA Going Down 10
List of OC Pistol Permit holders now online! 3 hr SlobSmith 13
wktv mornings 7 hr TV Police 92