Charter schools are a must.

Charter schools are a must.

Posted in the Utica Forum

Simplemind

Ithaca, NY

#1 Feb 11, 2014
Since the UCSD can't get it right, Charters are great. Syracuse is doing great with these schools. ND will close soon too and Charters are needed. More the better to help Utica out. It is a no-brainer.
Simplemind

Ithaca, NY

#2 Feb 11, 2014
Dummies, Charter schools are public.
Simplemind

Ithaca, NY

#3 Feb 11, 2014
False, Charter schools in Syracuse all have sport teams and do very well too.
Truth

Utica, NY

#4 Feb 11, 2014
I haven't heard or read much about how the new charter school in Utica is doing. Does anyone know? Have any test results or grades been announced?
educated and amused

Lowville, NY

#5 Feb 11, 2014
Finally, a question from Truth, and not an opinion. The short answer is that, unlike the public schools, they are not mandated to report their results, nor are they required to keep their students enrolled if they become discipline problems. It's easy to produce better test scores if you can select the students being tested.
Taxpayer

Westwood, MA

#6 Feb 11, 2014
Competition is good. School systems included
Dan T

Utica, NY

#7 Feb 11, 2014
Those who are against the charter schools are all jealous!!
teach

Utica, NY

#8 Feb 11, 2014
Truth wrote:
I haven't heard or read much about how the new charter school in Utica is doing. Does anyone know? Have any test results or grades been announced?
They are all coming back to Proctor, believe it or not.
teach

Utica, NY

#9 Feb 11, 2014
Quite a few on the ninth graders are leaving the charter school and re-enrolling at Proctor. There have been several issues with the charter school.
teach

Utica, NY

#10 Feb 11, 2014
Parents are NOT happy.
knows

Palmyra, NY

#11 Feb 11, 2014
charter schools are a FOR PROFIT operation ...if they dont make money they close ...if your kid is struggling and doesnt have good grades they are dropped ....that in a nut shell is the truth ...beware of the charter schools they only weaken a community
Kalani

Utica, NY

#12 Feb 11, 2014
teach wrote:
Quite a few on the ninth graders are leaving the charter school and re-enrolling at Proctor. There have been several issues with the charter school.
do tell!!!!!
Truth

Herkimer, NY

#13 Feb 12, 2014
educated and amused wrote:
Finally, a question from Truth, and not an opinion. The short answer is that, unlike the public schools, they are not mandated to report their results, nor are they required to keep their students enrolled if they become discipline problems. It's easy to produce better test scores if you can select the students being tested.
They are granted a charter for five years. It's like a contract. They are given specific goals they have to meet in order to comply with the charter. They are monitored and overseen on a continuing basis by the New York State Board of Regents. That is mandatory reporting. Accountibility is a key component of charter schools that is not present to this degree in ordinary public schools.
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/psc/OversightPlan.ht...

That is why I think there is reporting on how they are doing and why I asked the question.

I'd never heard that charters are able to eject students in a way that is different than normal public schools like you seem to infer. That's in the rules that govern all charter schools in New York. See the link below. There is a section regarding discipline in charter schools.

For anyone who would like to know what charter schools in New York are really about(instead of believing anonymous users on Topix) this is a good resource:
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/psc/documents/cspare...
Utica -Better By Denial

United States

#14 Feb 12, 2014
The parents don't care about anything but nonpaying sports thrills.

You can tell from the result!
A Parent

Utica, NY

#15 Feb 12, 2014
teach wrote:
Parents are NOT happy.
Says who? That's why they hold a lottery to get in!!!!
Truth

Miami, FL

#16 Feb 12, 2014
None of you "parents" care about your kid's academics you care about the football and track. History shows the amount of effort you expend on either and we see what the big "priorities" in prison economy land are.
Truth

Utica, NY

#17 Feb 12, 2014
knows wrote:
charter schools are a FOR PROFIT operation ...if they dont make money they close ...if your kid is struggling and doesnt have good grades they are dropped ....that in a nut shell is the truth ...beware of the charter schools they only weaken a community
The charter is granted with a specification set forth by the New York State Department of Education and monitored closely by the New York State Regents. If they fail to meet the requirements of the charter, the charter is revoked or not renewed. Charter school students take the same standard tests as their regular public school counterparts. Those grades cannot be dropped.

As with most things, when you turn a task over to the private sector it will be done better and more cost efficiently. Profit is motivation for innovation. If charter schools can do what they are hired to do and make a profit at the same time then what's the problem?If charter schools on the whole prove to be more effective when it comes to educational outcome then maybe all public education should be turned over to the private sector. Who knows?

What the charter schools weaken is the teacher union stranglehold on the system and that's good for everyone except the unions.
Truth

Utica, NY

#18 Feb 12, 2014
Back to my original question. How are they doing so far? Does anyone really know and have a credible source for that information?

Are there any parents who have children at the Utica Academy posting here? I don't know anyone who has children there and I'm interested in what their opinions are based on their experience so far.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica NY Topix Admin is a beotch 30 min Krill 2
Name the drug addict hookers in the Utica area 1 hr Lakewood 33
Transgenders are creepy people 1 hr NotGoingAway 2
NH SAT Scores 1 hr Brian 32
nole must go 1 hr Larissa 8
trump 2020 2 hr Two Term Trump 8
Dr. Aploks or Dr. Chaffe (Jul '09) 2 hr Really 277
Divorce Lawyers Who Incite Conflict Part 2 4 hr Daddy Issues 73
Beggar On John St 4 hr Billy 46
Attention Left Turning Female 7 hr Decadrol 42