Utica City School District reacts to State Budget Proposal

Jan 22, 2014 Full story: Your News Now 29

In his proposed budget, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the designation of billions of dollars for education.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth

Utica, NY

#23 Feb 3, 2014
hey truth wrote:
get your nerdy azz out of your preferred quotes from misinformed idiots. you don't know the friggin difference between common core and common whore. by the way,im sure that's the only way you could get laid. what do you know about education, other than what you choose to read about education and everything it entails? anyone can quote readings. Your opinions you draw from your reading are just that! opinions. Wow any moron knows that in most school districts if not all that the largest cost are employee compensation and benefits. My guess would be the same for many private sector employment. What do you know about real education such as actually having experience as a certified teacher with experience in the classroom. Judging by your extreme jealousy it appears to most on this thread that you belong in the assroom,nowhere near a classroom. your statements are mostly assumtions on your part. your overzealous comments regarding people who have dedicated their lives by choice to work in the field of education and working with children are classless. Do you know all the teachers and administrators personally that you speak ill of them,probably not. All you are is a babbling sissy coming on this thread to bash and defame a profession that is truly respected. Bottom line go to school and become a teacher/administrator if you can get accepted into a program and of course if you can afford it. Then actually do the job and do it wholeheartedly. before you say your stupid remark about using the statement I made regarding go to school and become a teacher,you my fruity friend are the one that uses cop out excuses,not reasons. sounds like you need a bit of discipline from the classroom and some from the street. whats the matter,are you stuck in the mud with your two bit menial job? the jealousy is quite obvious.
What an intelligent post.
Truth

Utica, NY

#24 Feb 3, 2014
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the proper pay for a teacher?? What should they earn?
That's a difficult question for sure. I think I'd start by looking at private sector workers with like educational experience to see what they make. That would not only include private school teachers in non-union settings but other fields like engineering or accounting.

In addition to yearly salary we need to look at benefits. The legacy benefits for retired teachers and healthcare are the big drivers of tax increases every year by all accounts. We know already that those benefits are by and large much greater than the average private sector worker with like education can expect. Yesterday's OD had a story.

Next we should look at the process. In the private sector, compensation is based mostly on performance. In teaching it is not. Step increases and automatic raises included in labor agreements are the norm. At the same time the labor cost is going up every year, graduation rates and educational outcomes are in decline. How and why is that acceptable?

I'm not sure exactly what the answer to your question is but I do know that what we have now is not working and cannot be sustained over the long haul. At some point simple math is going to catch up here just like it has in other parts of the country and there just won't be enough money to feed the system to keep it going in its' present form. When that happens(it has already started in Utica) a lot of people are going to suffer a lot of pain. A lot of those people are going to be the children who won't get an adequate education because of the greed of the teacher and administrator unions.

A good start would be to not do things like this:
"Staggering cost of Utica teacher health benefits proves a burden to taxpayers"

Read more: http://www.uticaod.com/x231950137/New-Utica-t...
Truth

Utica, NY

#25 Feb 3, 2014
hey truth wrote:
get your nerdy azz out of your preferred quotes from misinformed idiots. you don't know the friggin difference between common core and common whore. by the way,im sure that's the only way you could get laid. what do you know about education, other than what you choose to read about education and everything it entails? anyone can quote readings. Your opinions you draw from your reading are just that! opinions. Wow any moron knows that in most school districts if not all that the largest cost are employee compensation and benefits. My guess would be the same for many private sector employment. What do you know about real education such as actually having experience as a certified teacher with experience in the classroom. Judging by your extreme jealousy it appears to most on this thread that you belong in the assroom,nowhere near a classroom. your statements are mostly assumtions on your part. your overzealous comments regarding people who have dedicated their lives by choice to work in the field of education and working with children are classless. Do you know all the teachers and administrators personally that you speak ill of them,probably not. All you are is a babbling sissy coming on this thread to bash and defame a profession that is truly respected. Bottom line go to school and become a teacher/administrator if you can get accepted into a program and of course if you can afford it. Then actually do the job and do it wholeheartedly. before you say your stupid remark about using the statement I made regarding go to school and become a teacher,you my fruity friend are the one that uses cop out excuses,not reasons. sounds like you need a bit of discipline from the classroom and some from the street. whats the matter,are you stuck in the mud with your two bit menial job? the jealousy is quite obvious.
Misinformed idiots?
When I wanted to learn more about the Common Core I went to the Common Core website.
http://www.corestandards.org/
That's the website I cited earlier. If not there then where should I go? To the teacher's union magazine that someone quoted from perhaps?

Labor is a major driver in both the public and private sector except in the private sector more often than not performance and accountability are the key indicators in who gets what and how much.

This has nothing to do with jealousy. It has to do with a system that rewards mediocrity using New York State taxpayer money. My money. I was never drawn to teaching and took a different path just like most people.

I am not defaming teachers or the teaching profession. The problem is the union dominated system that they are allowed to operate in. A system where as performance declines, compensation goes up. A system that fights any kind of innovation(charter schools) tooth and nail not for sound educational reasons but because it threatens the public school teacher/administrator revenue stream.

Maybe more culpable in this than the teacher's union are the elected school board members who sit on the taxpayers side of the negotiating table and make concessions that lead to things like this:

"When the Utica Board of Education approved retiree health-care benefits for a large group of teachers 16 months ago, it had no idea what the added burden to taxpayers might be.
Now, officials do know and the price tag is staggering"

School

Utica, NY

#26 Feb 3, 2014
How does the state not help district that are in this much need? Its simple math. Not 100 percent of tax base pays taxes because they are exempt or whatever, but their kids attend the school district. So if you have 1000 kids attending and only 80% of those families paying taxes, then there should be state help to make up for the loss. How does the state not see need to aide the district and other districts for that matter?
hey truth

Utica, NY

#27 Feb 3, 2014
explain how retired teachers get their benefits,you seem to think you know everything in the education field. also explain the last contract in full detail on how much money went to teachers. Did all the teachers get raises did all teachers receive a step increase? Now go do your homework and report the exact facts to answer in detail to all on this thread
Question

Rome, NY

#28 Feb 8, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a difficult question for sure. I think I'd start by looking at private sector workers with like educational experience to see what they make. That would not only include private school teachers in non-union settings but other fields like engineering or accounting.
In addition to yearly salary we need to look at benefits. The legacy benefits for retired teachers and healthcare are the big drivers of tax increases every year by all accounts. We know already that those benefits are by and large much greater than the average private sector worker with like education can expect. Yesterday's OD had a story.
Next we should look at the process. In the private sector, compensation is based mostly on performance. In teaching it is not. Step increases and automatic raises included in labor agreements are the norm. At the same time the labor cost is going up every year, graduation rates and educational outcomes are in decline. How and why is that acceptable?
I'm not sure exactly what the answer to your question is but I do know that what we have now is not working and cannot be sustained over the long haul. At some point simple math is going to catch up here just like it has in other parts of the country and there just won't be enough money to feed the system to keep it going in its' present form. When that happens(it has already started in Utica) a lot of people are going to suffer a lot of pain. A lot of those people are going to be the children who won't get an adequate education because of the greed of the teacher and administrator unions.
A good start would be to not do things like this:
"Staggering cost of Utica teacher health benefits proves a burden to taxpayers"
1) Teachers in Utica pay for their healthcare before and after retirement. Nothing is free!
2) NYS State Teachers pension is one of the strongest in America. Its is supported by the moeny teachers put in. Less then 10 cents on every dollar is paid by taxes. The employer invesment rate, changes every year depending on the economy.
3) I was looking for an actual salary. Its always the teachers fault. We are all saints when we are risking our lives to save our kids from an upset kid whose parents couldn't or wouldn't control, but the minute we want a cost of living raise or a decent retirement we are sinners. We pay for everything we have, nothing is free! I chose this career becuase I love working with my kids. I never realized I was working with the most hated group in the country. Teachers get blamed for everything....its getting real old, real fast.
Nope

Philadelphia, PA

#29 Feb 9, 2014
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Teachers in Utica pay for their healthcare before and after retirement. Nothing is free!
2) NYS State Teachers pension is one of the strongest in America. Its is supported by the moeny teachers put in. Less then 10 cents on every dollar is paid by taxes. The employer invesment rate, changes every year depending on the economy.
3) I was looking for an actual salary. Its always the teachers fault. We are all saints when we are risking our lives to save our kids from an upset kid whose parents couldn't or wouldn't control, but the minute we want a cost of living raise or a decent retirement we are sinners. We pay for everything we have, nothing is free! I chose this career becuase I love working with my kids. I never realized I was working with the most hated group in the country. Teachers get blamed for everything....its getting real old, real fast.
No one deserves cost of living raises or tenure. Do away with unions and these budget problems wouldn't exist.
Anonymous

Waltham, MA

#30 Feb 9, 2014
oki

New Hartford, NY

#31 Feb 9, 2014
frankcor wrote:
From the link above: "In the state's proposed budget, more than $2 billion will be used for education with about a $600 million increase in state aid. Utica School Administrators say that falls far short of what they need to survive. "
By my arithmetic, that's a 30% increase in state-wide education funding. What, precisely, can we expect in return for such a large increase in investment?
Expect nothing from the corrupt board who specializes in back room deals and patronage. Education is not their priority. Payola for friends and family is their driving force. Get a third job if necessary to keep your kids out of the hands of those thieves. You can also try to get them in a charter school--another one will open in the fall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SHOTS Bartenders 7 min Samson 8
Amy fountain 7 min truth 4
Robert T Oliveira On Twitter 26 min Robert T Oliveira 1
aldi cheap and welfare patrons food stamps (Nov '12) 31 min Golub 48
Chick-fil-A coming to Riverside 32 min Pier 3
mvcc vs. utica college (Feb '14) 53 min Youre Not Bright 12
Principal Charles Pratt Drunk 1 hr paid leave 7
HP principle a drunk now investigate your footb... 1 hr Huh 10
Two arrested as part of prostitution sting at C... 6 hr fedup 33
Judge Bernie Clark back in the news again 7 hr Stupid 29