Utica City School District reacts to State Budget Proposal

Jan 22, 2014 Full story: Your News Now 29

In his proposed budget, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the designation of billions of dollars for education.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#1 Jan 26, 2014
From the link above: "In the state's proposed budget, more than $2 billion will be used for education with about a $600 million increase in state aid. Utica School Administrators say that falls far short of what they need to survive. "

By my arithmetic, that's a 30% increase in state-wide education funding. What, precisely, can we expect in return for such a large increase in investment?
Truth

Utica, NY

#2 Jan 26, 2014
frankcor wrote:
From the link above: "In the state's proposed budget, more than $2 billion will be used for education with about a $600 million increase in state aid. Utica School Administrators say that falls far short of what they need to survive. "
By my arithmetic, that's a 30% increase in state-wide education funding. What, precisely, can we expect in return for such a large increase in investment?
A sub 60% graduation rate and better benefits for union teachers and administrators.

Level 7

Rome

#3 Jan 26, 2014
I wonder why someone would label Truth's post as clueless or nuts. Would that person care to suggest an alternative expectation?
Buckwheat

Ashburn, VA

#4 Jan 26, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
A sub 60% graduation rate and better benefits for union teachers and administrators.
Hey azzhole, it's a 70per cent graduation rate. Which is better than our
demographic brothers in NYC have. Also, we need to hire teachers. Benefits aren't part of the budget. New teachers will be in tier VI. Paying into retirement system til 65
Suckers

Utica, NY

#5 Jan 26, 2014
I'm sure there are a lot of you that are happy that per student spending in Utica is $5000 below the state average and that districts downstate spend twice per student than Utica. It is not just Utica complaining but most urban and rural districts upstate. The cost of education on Long Island & downstate counties skews the figures. You are being screwed by downstate politicians and you smile while it happens. You people deserve what is happening to you. Downstaters scratch and claw for every penny the state hands out and you people complain that the state is wasting your money when they throw you a bone.
Truth

Utica, NY

#6 Jan 27, 2014
Buckwheat wrote:
<quoted text> Hey azzhole, it's a 70per cent graduation rate. Which is better than our
demographic brothers in NYC have. Also, we need to hire teachers. Benefits aren't part of the budget. New teachers will be in tier VI. Paying into retirement system til 65
Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion:
"
Even the slight increase in the Utica City School District from 57.8 percent in 2010-11 to 58.1 percent in 2011-12 was good news."

Read more: http://www.uticaod.com/x1484775814/Local-grad...

When you calculate the cost of teacher retirements you have to include the healthcare costs. There is just no denying that the main driver of cost and tax increases in the Utica City School District is labor and benfits. That is where the money is going.

Level 7

Rome

#7 Jan 27, 2014
@Suckers: the NY state education aid formula is not a mathematical computation, it's a political one. It's true that NYC gets a disproportional portion of the pie, due to their political power and due to their greater need. But still, a 30% increase in aid seems very large given our current economic state.

Utica's current budget is ~$139 million. A $4 million increase works out to just under 3%. Is that unreasonable in the current economy? I think what we're hearing is that we won't be able to maintain the status quo with a 3% increase.

What would you do with a 3% increase in income this year? Simply maintain status quo?
Truth

Utica, NY

#8 Jan 27, 2014
Suckers wrote:
I'm sure there are a lot of you that are happy that per student spending in Utica is $5000 below the state average and that districts downstate spend twice per student than Utica. It is not just Utica complaining but most urban and rural districts upstate. The cost of education on Long Island & downstate counties skews the figures. You are being screwed by downstate politicians and you smile while it happens. You people deserve what is happening to you. Downstaters scratch and claw for every penny the state hands out and you people complain that the state is wasting your money when they throw you a bone.
Rather than comparing upstate and downstate, try comparing average spending per student state by state. Then overlay the graduation rates and standard test scores. Yes, upstate NY schools get less than downstate schools but when compared with the rest of the country New York's spending on the whole is consistently top five while acheivment and outcome are middle of the pack.

The money is going to the very, very powerful unions! Put the blame where it belongs.

Take a look at this map(from a government website) and see who is spending the most. Then consider the fact that New York has been consistently losing population. Spending goes up, population and acheivement goes down. Where is the money going and why isn't more money going to education every year solving the problem?
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind12/c8/c8s1...
Anonymous

Utica, NY

#10 Jan 27, 2014
http://www.nysut.org/news/2014/january/nysut-...

School spending is woefully inadequate. UCSD is the only district in NYS whose enrollment increases every year. Get off your anti-union soapbox.
Truth

Utica, NY

#11 Jan 27, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
http://www.nysut.org/news/2014 /january/nysut-amid-positives- state-aid-proposal-woefully-in adequate
School spending is woefully inadequate. UCSD is the only district in NYS whose enrollment increases every year. Get off your anti-union soapbox.
Really? Do you really expect anyone to buy into an an article from a teacher union website? You have got to be kidding.

The number one driver of school tax increases year after year is the compensation for teachers and administrators. That's a fact you can't get around. The other fact is that years after year we see tax increases and at the same time a decline in educational outcomes as measured by test scores and graduation rates. The money is going to the teachers and administrators.

I read today that the same union you cite has withdrawn support of the Common Core and declared no confidence in New York State Education Commissioner John King Jr. and called for his removal. Why? Because they expose failures in the current union dominated system and requires accountability.
Anonymous

Utica, NY

#12 Jan 27, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Really? Do you really expect anyone to buy into an an article from a teacher union website? You have got to be kidding.

The number one driver of school tax increases year after year is the compensation for teachers and administrators. That's a fact you can't get around. The other fact is that years after year we see tax increases and at the same time a decline in educational outcomes as measured by test scores and graduation rates. The money is going to the teachers and administrators.

I read today that the same union you cite has withdrawn support of the Common Core and declared no confidence in New York State Education Commissioner John King Jr. and called for his removal. Why? Because they expose failures in the current union dominated system and requires accountability.
In case you missed the newsflash: PARENTS are leading the charge against Common Core. As a PARENT, I have had several discussions about opting out. Your arguments are absolutely skewed against unions.
Truth

Utica, NY

#13 Jan 28, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you missed the newsflash: PARENTS are leading the charge against Common Core. As a PARENT, I have had several discussions about opting out. Your arguments are absolutely skewed against unions.
In case you missed it, the world is having our lunch when it comes to education. The decline has been happening over many years. In order for our children to compete in the global economy we have to kick it up a notch when it comes to education.

Common Core in its' present form may not be the answer but it is a starting place. In my opinion parents are against it for a couple of reasons.

First is the teacher union propoganda campaign against it. Teachers hate it because it exposes soft spots and deficiencies in the existing systems. Underperforming teachers and districts are exposed and held accountable. There are other reasons that our government monopoly public school system is in decline but teachers not doing an effective job is certainly one. Think about the things that teachers unions despise. Charter schools, home schooling, private schools, Common Core, standardized testing...... Why? because they pose a threat to union power. They are competition and competition means choice. God forbid we have choice in where are children go to school and how they are taught.

Second is the fact that parents are used to having their child do well. This is the AYSO soccer, everybody gets a trophy generation. Common Core exposes the fact that maybe a child isn't as "gifted" as the parent(s) believed. Maybe parents need to be parents rather than buddies. A common core curriculum and standard tests don't allow for hiding the truth. Everyone gets the same information and the same tests. What could be more equitable than that? Just maybe we are not all equal when it comes to educational achievement and some have to be made to work harder than others. When you hear people complain about the "entitlement generation" this is certainly part of it.

Volumes have been written about how college professors say that many high scool graduates enter college ill-equipped to handle the work. More volumes have been written about how employers complain that college graduates they hire aren't able to perform due to their lack of basic reading, writing and math skills. This Common Core may not be the answer to the problem butr it is a start in the right direction. Everyone needs to resist the power of the public school teacher's unions in this. If we don't then America will continue its' educational decline. There used to be a day when mediocrity wasn't acceptable.

More than anything else people should think for themselves and not rely on teachers union magazines for their opinions.
Anonymous

Pine Plains, NY

#14 Jan 28, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>In case you missed it, the world is having our lunch when it comes to education. The decline has been happening over many years. In order for our children to compete in the global economy we have to kick it up a notch when it comes to education.

Common Core in its' present form may not be the answer but it is a starting place. In my opinion parents are against it for a couple of reasons.

First is the teacher union propoganda campaign against it. Teachers hate it because it exposes soft spots and deficiencies in the existing systems. Underperforming teachers and districts are exposed and held accountable. There are other reasons that our government monopoly public school system is in decline but teachers not doing an effective job is certainly one. Think about the things that teachers unions despise. Charter schools, home schooling, private schools, Common Core, standardized testing...... Why? because they pose a threat to union power. They are competition and competition means choice. God forbid we have choice in where are children go to school and how they are taught.

Second is the fact that parents are used to having their child do well. This is the AYSO soccer, everybody gets a trophy generation. Common Core exposes the fact that maybe a child isn't as "gifted" as the parent(s) believed. Maybe parents need to be parents rather than buddies. A common core curriculum and standard tests don't allow for hiding the truth. Everyone gets the same information and the same tests. What could be more equitable than that? Just maybe we are not all equal when it comes to educational achievement and some have to be made to work harder than others. When you hear people complain about the "entitlement generation" this is certainly part of it.

Volumes have been written about how college professors say that many high scool graduates enter college ill-equipped to handle the work. More volumes have been written about how employers complain that college graduates they hire aren't able to perform due to their lack of basic reading, writing and math skills. This Common Core may not be the answer to the problem butr it is a start in the right direction. Everyone needs to resist the power of the public school teacher's unions in this. If we don't then America will continue its' educational decline. There used to be a day when mediocrity wasn't acceptable.

More than anything else people should think for themselves and not rely on teachers union magazines for their opinions.
I've read the standards and have a young child in school. Maybe you should be more informed about the topics of your rants before you go off blaming the unions.

Level 7

Rome

#16 Jan 28, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
http://www.nysut.org/news/2014 /january/nysut-amid-positives- state-aid-proposal-woefully-in adequate
It's true, the enrollment increases. So then, the (perhaps inadequate) total aid on a per-student basis increases.

How is pointing out the fact that pension and health-care costs for retired teachers are unsustainable in our economic environment considered to be "anti-union" in any way, shape or manner? Get off your hyper-sensitivity soapbox.

Level 7

Rome

#17 Jan 28, 2014
Truth wrote:
In case you missed it, the world is having our lunch when it comes to education. The decline has been happening over many years. In order for our children to compete in the global economy we have to kick it up a notch when it comes to education.
Common Core in its' present form may not be the answer but it is a starting place.
Brilliant!

I try to keep two things in mind whenever discussing education reform.

1. Teachers care about the success of their students and the development of their own skills, tools and effectiveness in the classroom.

2. Collective bargaining units care about terms and conditions of employment.

Discussion usually proceeds positively when all participants consider those observations and respect one another accordingly,.
Truth

Utica, NY

#18 Jan 28, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read the standards and have a young child in school. Maybe you should be more informed about the topics of your rants before you go off blaming the unions.
I am informed. As soon as I heard about Common Core I educated myself about the who, what and why of Common Core. When I did I knew exactly what the union response to the proposal would be. It's very predictable.

Maybe you should take another look and understand the who, what and why before criticizing me.
http://www.corestandards.org/
Truth

Utica, NY

#19 Jan 28, 2014
Here's the mission statement for the Common Core. How can anyone disagree with this?

"The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy."
Anonymous

Utica, NY

#20 Jan 28, 2014
Try again...I was involved with the development of them. This is all coming from Gates, Pearson and PARCC
hey truth

Utica, NY

#21 Jan 28, 2014
get your nerdy azz out of your preferred quotes from misinformed idiots. you don't know the friggin difference between common core and common whore. by the way,im sure that's the only way you could get laid. what do you know about education, other than what you choose to read about education and everything it entails? anyone can quote readings. Your opinions you draw from your reading are just that! opinions. Wow any moron knows that in most school districts if not all that the largest cost are employee compensation and benefits. My guess would be the same for many private sector employment. What do you know about real education such as actually having experience as a certified teacher with experience in the classroom. Judging by your extreme jealousy it appears to most on this thread that you belong in the assroom,nowhere near a classroom. your statements are mostly assumtions on your part. your overzealous comments regarding people who have dedicated their lives by choice to work in the field of education and working with children are classless. Do you know all the teachers and administrators personally that you speak ill of them,probably not. All you are is a babbling sissy coming on this thread to bash and defame a profession that is truly respected. Bottom line go to school and become a teacher/administrator if you can get accepted into a program and of course if you can afford it. Then actually do the job and do it wholeheartedly. before you say your stupid remark about using the statement I made regarding go to school and become a teacher,you my fruity friend are the one that uses cop out excuses,not reasons. sounds like you need a bit of discipline from the classroom and some from the street. whats the matter,are you stuck in the mud with your two bit menial job? the jealousy is quite obvious.
Question

Rome, NY

#22 Feb 2, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Do you really expect anyone to buy into an an article from a teacher union website? You have got to be kidding.
Then what is the proper pay for a teacher?? What should they earn?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
aloha I'm kristen copeland 1 hr WatdafuKTV 10
Who is Mike Tebsherany? (Apr '12) 1 hr DontDropDaSoapTebs 42
Teb's son arrested from NH. 1 hr creep police 15
Mountain lion seen in Clinton today on 60 Kirkl... 2 hr buttmuncher 4
Domesticated bum 2 hr hater 9
Wboro/NH basketball game (Dec '13) 3 hr Joe 139
Kim Simon Murder (Feb '10) 3 hr bob 4,773
Ground Broken For N Utica Texas Roadhouse 6 hr Bbo 8
•••
•••