West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#882 Apr 9, 2014
john wrote:
<quoted text>I did I'm still in therapy trying to get over the trama of having gone there
My husband was the only child in his family to graduate from Sacred Heart School. The rest of his siblings cried so much that their Dad took them out. It seems like Sister Eva was the worst.
terri

Utica, NY

#883 Apr 16, 2014
Does anyone remember the Colucci's on Shaw st?
terri

Utica, NY

#884 Apr 16, 2014
I used to walk the tracks to Addison miller and climb the stairs to the bridge, we used to call that candy store Louie's cause that was the owners name.

Level 6

Location hidden

#885 Apr 16, 2014
terri wrote:
Does anyone remember the Colucci's on Shaw st?
Was a little store that sold handmade gifts?
Joe

Clinton, NY

#886 Apr 17, 2014
your allnuts
Lockwood

Louisville, KY

#887 Apr 25, 2014
Walnut St wrote:
hey guys remember Stash Olender?
i do!
john

Clinton, NY

#888 Apr 25, 2014
i love black "C"
Nancy Purdy

Bullhead City, AZ

#889 May 18, 2014
How this site brought back many memories.Remember Uncle Genes coffee shop on Whites bro St.across &#65279;the street from Lizs Restaurant. My mother owened &#65279;the bar
lesslie

Utica, NY

#890 May 19, 2014
Elevator Shoes wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha, ha.....Remember the bad table she had? I had to sit there for kissing a girl. Five years-old; it was my first downfall! I remember when her apartment caught on fire. I think one of her kids tried to off her.
She used to literally wash kid's mouths out with a bar of soap among other atrocities. Makes ya wonder where child protective services was then and how a parish priest could let her continue to abuse children when he knew exactly what she was doing. Although at the time, I remember my parents saying that the only thing that pastor cared about was booze. He used to throw his empties out the rectory window. Great place for children! The parents were deaf, dumb, blind and stupid.
Meehowski

Watertown, NY

#891 Jun 1, 2014
memory wrote:
The Red Robin Bar.
Always had a great time!
blast from the past

Utica, NY

#892 Jun 2, 2014
Nancy Purdy wrote:
How this site brought back many memories.Remember Uncle Genes coffee shop on Whites bro St.across &#65279;the street from Lizs Restaurant. My mother owened &#65279;the bar
didnt you bang donny gilberti?
Stickslikeglue

Herkimer, NY

#893 Jun 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
your allnuts
Brought to you by the letters: F U
curious kids

Lowville, NY

#894 Jun 5, 2014
gtr wrote:
I remember a fish store where there was a huge Pacu inside a 55 gallon tank. I think he may have had a snakehead in another if I'm not mistaken.
Tolpas Dairy was one place my grandparents used to take me every Sunday to get baked goods and we'd get candy, baseball cards packs, and ice cream sundaes. I also remember Mahanna's where I used to get comic books. There used to be a Smoke shop on Noyes Street where you could get comic books too.
where on noyes st was the Smoke shop?
curious kids

Lowville, NY

#895 Jun 5, 2014
Does anyone remember a candy store on the corner of city and noyes not Cardinales?
meghan61

Waterville, NY

#896 Jun 7, 2014
Blastfromthepast wrote:
I'm an "getting old" and probably bitter man. I remember the days of my youth in West Utica. What was a simple, good era filled with hope over the years has turned into a rotten decayed hole. Where we had families that were involved, even in poverty, are misguided trash punks. Where we had pride and kinship, there is drugs and garbage. I am thankful for the experiences I had growing up in West Utica and all of the great people who made such an impression on me. It's really stupid, but all I can think of is Eddie Moneys song "I want to go back", back when people were decent. I wish I could have for a day the old West Utica days of playing at Addison Miller, meeting up with all of my friends walking to Washington School, goofing around at Cardinale's or Van's, or playing in the streets until "the street lights went on" and we had to be home. Some things that are lost are treasures that we will never get back.
Well said, at least we have these memories to think about to escape the harsh realities of this world, even for a little while

Level 6

Location hidden

#897 Jun 13, 2014
lesslie wrote:
<quoted text>
She used to literally wash kid's mouths out with a bar of soap among other atrocities. Makes ya wonder where child protective services was then and how a parish priest could let her continue to abuse children when he knew exactly what she was doing. Although at the time, I remember my parents saying that the only thing that pastor cared about was booze. He used to throw his empties out the rectory window. Great place for children! The parents were deaf, dumb, blind and stupid.
Looking back, I do agree! At the time I was brought up very strictly and thought this was normal!
Addison Miller

Rome, NY

#898 Jun 13, 2014
Addison Miller was my second home. Pool and Playground was the best.
junka

Utica, NY

#900 Jun 13, 2014
Addison Miller wrote:
Addison Miller was my second home. Pool and Playground was the best.
I went there every morning for lessons and afternoons to practice what I had learned. Fifteen cents got you in from one until five. It was a quarter to swim at night--mostly the 'big kids' of sixteen and seventeen went at night...lol. Great times, great memories, wish I could go back and stay there. Took my kids to addisson miller about ten years ago and it just wasn't the same. It is nothing more now than a glorified wading pool....no boards....no deep end....and you can thank the former lousy mayor lapolla for destroying it. Lack of care under his administration caused damage and instead of fixing it right, he shortened it and probably spent the money intended to fix it right was spent to hire more of his friends and family to do nothing.
Classy

Clifton Park, NY

#902 Jun 13, 2014
Alicyn sterling lives there.
ZERO

Syracuse, NY

#903 Jun 16, 2014
Addisson Miller went down the Sh!ter when it turned the same color as a Sh!t..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steak and pickle 7 min SueMarie 7
Affair outside bennu in whitesboro 12 min Next 6
Name A Hillary Clinton Accomplishment 13 min Empty Pantsuit 29
kristen drama queen copeland (Sep '14) 28 min Stan 23
Sam wessing 36 min dee 28
Hillary seizures 37 min Wills 12
Where Is Hillary 39 min Wow 3
Biggest RAT in ufd 1 hr Got your 6 29
Ranking Utica Prostitutes 8 hr j3333rd 235

Utica Jobs