West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#862 Mar 4, 2014
Does anyone remember the Denn Family? I think they had 7 children. One became a priest and one daughter became a nun.
mrB

Bethel Park, PA

#863 Mar 4, 2014
My time at Washington school was when the new K-2/gym addition was built.

Ms Maynard?- K (did she pass early due to cancer?)
Albicker- 1st
Ross- 2nd
3rd?
4th- Ruth Moyer, the best ever
5th- Lemmo
6th- Stan Antonuk & Borst?

Music- Kramer? the human chalk/eraser launcher...prototype for drone warfare

Mr. Mothy- music teacher 25 cent 15 minute lessons in basement next to eraser cleaner/industrial vacuum and the massive asbestos coated boiler heater unit.

Mrs. Lyons was the principal.

Danahey gave my bro migraine headaches as she yelled at him constantly.. was not aware that he was hearing impaired

Then off to Kernan to get initiated with lipstick...

I remember Strauz (ind arts) as he chopped a finger tip off cutting a board for me... and Grassi dressed in mascara because of his role part in Mde Butterfly.

Also the cold war/ nuclear attack drills were very special!
Potato hill

Ithaca, NY

#864 Mar 5, 2014
love miss perkins wrote:
<quoted text>where does she teach,is she still married, she must be at retirement age?
She was teaching at Jefferson Elementary in N Utica. I think she said she was not married. She still looks great, and yes she's retirement age.
washington school alumni

Whitesboro, NY

#865 Mar 5, 2014
Potato hill wrote:
<quoted text>
She was teaching at Jefferson Elementary in N Utica. I think she said she was not married. She still looks great, and yes she's retirement age.
she really made me keep perfect attendance,i couldn't wait to see her.
washington school alumni

Whitesboro, NY

#866 Mar 5, 2014
washington school alumni wrote:
<quoted text>she really made me keep perfect attendance,i couldn't wait to see her.
the main thing about miss perkins she was soo lady like,very sexy,i rememeber being next to her and here perfume would make you melt!i new I was 100% heterosexual-thankyou miss perkins for that.

Level 6

Location hidden

#867 Mar 8, 2014
Mrs. Pfizer--not sure of spelling,St Joe's Kindergarden teacher.
yoreeke

Utica, NY

#868 Mar 8, 2014
Reney wrote:
Mrs. Pfizer--not sure of spelling,St Joe's Kindergarden teacher.
Her name was Mrs. Clara Pfeifer. She passed from brain cancer several years ago.

Level 6

Location hidden

#869 Mar 8, 2014
yoreeke wrote:
<quoted text>
Her name was Mrs. Clara Pfeifer. She passed from brain cancer several years ago.
Thank you. She taught 50 children each year and every child went to Mass before school started. I never knew how she could do it. She certainly was a blessed woman.
almamater

Utica, NY

#870 Mar 8, 2014
mrB wrote:
My time at Washington school was when the new K-2/gym addition was built.
Ms Maynard?- K (did she pass early due to cancer?)
Albicker- 1st
Ross- 2nd
3rd?
4th- Ruth Moyer, the best ever
5th- Lemmo
6th- Stan Antonuk & Borst?
Music- Kramer? the human chalk/eraser launcher...prototype for drone warfare
Mr. Mothy- music teacher 25 cent 15 minute lessons in basement next to eraser cleaner/industrial vacuum and the massive asbestos coated boiler heater unit.
Mrs. Lyons was the principal.
Danahey gave my bro migraine headaches as she yelled at him constantly.. was not aware that he was hearing impaired
Then off to Kernan to get initiated with lipstick...
I remember Strauz (ind arts) as he chopped a finger tip off cutting a board for me... and Grassi dressed in mascara because of his role part in Mde Butterfly.
Also the cold war/ nuclear attack drills were very special!
Yes, Miss Maynard died of cancer at a very young age. She passed a couple of years after I had her in Kindergarten. I remember her as having black short hair and being very kind. I wish I had a picture of her. If you have one, you can share it on the Washington School group site on Facebook. Stop by and/or join anyone. There are some lively, fun discussions with lots of different alumni. And there are some great old photos.
hardly

Utica, NY

#871 Mar 9, 2014
Reney wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. She taught 50 children each year and every child went to Mass before school started. I never knew how she could do it. She certainly was a blessed woman.
You are grossly misinformed or you choose to wear rose colored glasses. She had a very malicious, hateful side. Her own children turned out to be hateful, jealous, mean, lying wretches. The apple never falls far from the tree.
Mass attendance then was mandatory and a rule of the school. She had nothing to do with that other than being in church. She taught without a license to do so and had nothing more than a high school education. She inflicted punishment on those in kindergarten that would now be punishable by imprisonment.
Larry

Herkimer, NY

#872 Mar 9, 2014
AH the memories drug dealing,coons borded up housees,ho's not the kind for farming either arson police not doing anything,Why do you think everybody left after the war they saw the signs
Level 6

Location hidden

#873 Mar 9, 2014
hardly wrote:
<quoted text>
You are grossly misinformed or you choose to wear rose colored glasses. She had a very malicious, hateful side. Her own children turned out to be hateful, jealous, mean, lying wretches. The apple never falls far from the tree.
Mass attendance then was mandatory and a rule of the school. She had nothing to do with that other than being in church. She taught without a license to do so and had nothing more than a high school education. She inflicted punishment on those in kindergarten that would now be punishable by imprisonment.
Wow, I did not know that side of her. My nephew was in her class and his parents never mentioned that. I have to wonder how she got away with treating 5 year olds like that. Didn't any parents complain?

Level 5

Location hidden

#874 Mar 10, 2014
Anyone go to Sacred Heart School?
john

Herkimer, NY

#875 Mar 10, 2014
Super Mighty Mouse wrote:
Anyone go to Sacred Heart School?
I did I'm still in therapy trying to get over the trama of having gone there
JRB

Niagara Falls, Canada

#876 Apr 5, 2014
I remember the LeGault gas station, had crush on Joe but we were just friends, probably every other girl in West Utica, too - Globe Mill - State St Mill - Munson Williams Proctor Art Museum - Foodland - tiny store on corner of Warren and ?- Holy Trinity School - Tiny's - Highland Tower - Anchor Bar - Klausens Store on the corner of Court & Lennox - Columbia Square...
West Utican wrote:
At the exact location of the West End Brewery Shop was the Rainbow Bar & Grill, I think is was owned by the Tenza family. Up the street was Ted's Rainbow Market, I think it was operated by the Kowalski family. Poles Bar was on Varick St. and next door was Larry's Bakery. Of course both Reynolds Hareware & Tom's Barber Shop were in business during the 1970s and still are. A Mr. Mishalanie had a TV-Radio repair business on Cooper St. The Schmelcher family ran the West Utica Super Market on the corner of Court & Schuyler Sts., across the street was The Rosinski Liquor Store. The LaGault Auto Repair Shop was on the corner of Court & Stark Sts. Mike & John Kozar ran the bar on the corner of Sunset Ave. & Warren St., prior to that it was called Rozy's
old south

Reading, MA

#877 Apr 5, 2014
Durantes taverm
Was that

Rome, NY

#878 Apr 5, 2014
When Durante's closed didn't it re open as the Cherry Corner? Whitesboro St. right?
Peter

Utica, NY

#879 Apr 7, 2014
No spooks.
Elevator Shoes

Watertown, NY

#880 Apr 8, 2014
hardly wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha, ha.....Remember the bad table she had? I had to sit there for kissing a girl. Five years-old; it was my first downfall! I remember when her apartment caught on fire. I think one of her kids tried to off her.

Since: Mar 14

Cleveland, NY

#881 Apr 8, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
utica/county to help fund downtown hospital garage 8 min History 101 39
The POTUS and the Boy Scouts 16 min URA MORON 2
Donald Trump should get rid of all crooked poli... 23 min Doc 1
Islamberg 34 min The Truth 16
Trump says upstate New Yorkers should move 36 min Truth Hurts 1
OC ADA Mike Nolan.... 38 min TheSlobSeemann 49
ufd deputy chief o/t 46 min 4 Engine 4
Tried Anal-Hated It! 4 hr ImPEACH the ORANGE 24
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 13 hr More cowards 218
Sexless Marriage 17 hr Her 47