West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...
grew up on Court St

Dayton, OH

#822 Dec 5, 2013
I can go back a little further. The Rainbow Restaurant, next door to the brewery. I think where the retail shop is.
The Star Laundramat two doors down from the Grocery store on the corner of Court and Schyler (sp) St. The Circle Inn, on the other side of the Brewery Parking lot. Before the Rite-Aid was there, there was a car wash/gas station.
Levinson's Dentist in between Star Laundry and the Circle Inn. Suny College at the end of the Boiler Maker Race.(that big factory looking place.)
no11girl

Shawnee, KS

#823 Dec 13, 2013
I grew up on Mathews Ave. and was at Lincoln School until '76! Do you remember the Lincoln School Song and the Flag Day Parades???
Colleen wrote:
I went to Lincoln Elementary School 1964 to1968 or 69. We lived on Churchill I live in Tulsa Oklahoma now! I. Have lots of fond childhood memories from that time . Pixlie Park , Addison Miller Mohannas Drug store Teachers Mr Vendetta., Mrs Lovechio , Mrs Monticalvo. Mrs Graff. Anyone remember them and maybe a girl named Colleen M..
pe T D

Clark Mills, NY

#824 Dec 13, 2013
grew up on Court St wrote:
I can go back a little further. The Rainbow Restaurant, next door to the brewery. I think where the retail shop is.
The Star Laundramat two doors down from the Grocery store on the corner of Court and Schyler (sp) St. The Circle Inn, on the other side of the Brewery Parking lot. Before the Rite-Aid was there, there was a car wash/gas station.
Levinson's Dentist in between Star Laundry and the Circle Inn. Suny College at the end of the Boiler Maker Race.(that big factory looking place.)
Rufus ran the Car Wash
old tymer

Herkimer, NY

#825 Dec 14, 2013
pe T D wrote:
<quoted text> Rufus ran the Car Wash
How about Morey Klampert?
the duchess

Utica, NY

#826 Dec 15, 2013
old tymer wrote:
<quoted text>
How about Morey Klampert?
Which arrest of his are you remembering? Prescribing drugs without a license, falsifying business records, filing false medicare/medicaid claims, etc.
lucky to get out

Utica, NY

#827 Dec 15, 2013
the duchess wrote:
<quoted text>
Which arrest of his are you remembering? Prescribing drugs without a license, falsifying business records, filing false medicare/medicaid claims, etc.
the best thing i can remember about west utica was 1978 the year my family moved out of that ghetto.
maddpsych

Glenside, PA

#828 Jan 22, 2014
I feel lucky to have lived there.... It was a wonderful place to grow up...
survivor of west utica

Whitesboro, NY

#829 Jan 22, 2014
maddpsych wrote:
I feel lucky to have lived there.... It was a wonderful place to grow up...
I feel luckier to have gotten out of that septic tank called west Utica.
Frank T

Herkimer, NY

#830 Jan 22, 2014
survivor of west utica wrote:
<quoted text>I feel luckier to have gotten out of that septic tank called west Utica.
We are all happy that you moved.
Ex Lib

Herkimer, NY

#831 Jan 22, 2014
West wrote:
West side looks like a bomb hit it. What happen? Home at thx giving rode thru the old neighborhood .
It's just the final chapter of Lyndon Johnson's GREAT SOCIETY.
lbj

Whitesboro, NY

#832 Jan 22, 2014
Ex Lib wrote:
<quoted text> It's just the final chapter of Lyndon Johnson's GREAT SOCIETY.
the great society of welfare recipients.
maddpsych

Glenside, PA

#833 Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to Morey Klampert's son, Dennis?
meghan61

Ithaca, NY

#834 Jan 25, 2014
the duchess wrote:
<quoted text>
Dispensing drugs without a prescription, a pharmacist cannot prescribe.
Wonder what

Syracuse, NY

#835 Jan 25, 2014
Mostly Anglos
ddedee dudek

Rochester, NY

#836 Feb 11, 2014
I remember wrote:
<quoted text> omg..I remeber everything you just listed...my Grandfather used to stop in Whitey's every day after work for 2 beers! My brother had the wooden Boys Club card and on Tuesday nites he could bring us (sisters)there for movie night. Lots of fun memories!

I remember all these places too you could get a free soda once in a while if you stopped in with your bike and dropped some relatives name, wee were so poor never had an extra nicklle to my name until I started babysitting.
ddedee dudek

Rochester, NY

#837 Feb 11, 2014
mike wrote:
Spilkas
my dad's watering hole!!!!
dee dudek

Rochester, NY

#838 Feb 11, 2014
fel in love with poochie from sunset ave when I was 11, al was my best friend
dee dudek

Rochester, NY

#839 Feb 11, 2014
Uly wrote:
<quoted text>Most def, it's like South street was 30-40 years ago.
I loved south st in the 60's it was an escape from poverty of . the 5 and dime was my favorite place if I had 2 cents.
nostolgic

Gouverneur, NY

#840 Feb 11, 2014
Nothing much that I can remember except for some grocery stores. Always kind of run down!!
Harvey

Absecon, NJ

#841 Feb 13, 2014
Does anybody remember Dowe's Market on Columbia Square?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Claudia just got my vote 7 min got my vote 41
Johnny Weir Disgusting 10 min Indigo69 25
Utica Stuck in Dark Ages 16 min Vagatucci 2
Civil War Pt 2 Has Started 28 min Truth 1
Cry Baby Eminem 28 min facts 1
When the mob ran utica 34 min facts 2
wager street utica, ny 37 min Frank 25
Time for new coach for proctor basketball 4 hr Mario 22
Mvcc women's basketball 11 hr Phil 66
nhhs 20 hr Richie Cunningham 11