|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

snopper wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband said Dickie ran it and his Uncle or Dad owned it.
Yeah, Dickie was good people. He used to tune up my 429 Torino back in the day.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Oh Ya wrote:
<quoted text>
Janice use to run Midnight Mary's on Columbia Street. That was the place to be with Earl as the DJ. Wish it was open today. I used to pick up someone almost every night.
Yeah, but did the guys still respect you in the morning???

Level 7

Since: Apr 13

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Pease forgive the previous post.

I can no longer post to these people, very long story but I would like to post to you. Think it over!

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Fat Tony Salerno wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Dickie was good people. He used to tune up my 429 Torino back in the day.
If you have read some of these posts, I have been banned from posting to these people. I do remember your name from that time periord but did not meet you.

I did not grow up in the city but do remember all the good times once I moved to West Utica.
Oh Ya

Fort Plain, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Fat Tony Salerno wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but did the guys still respect you in the morning???
Most of them did.
IAGREE

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I agree.....
Captj

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Tolpas for milk and those wooden crates full of 32 oz glass bottles of soda...grape nehi for me and ginger ale for high balls....pulaski's for kielbasa, Chicago market for most all else. Except baked goods....my grandparents were loyal to half a dozen different bakeries for different items. Hempstraughs was a retail outlet on Lincoln ave, but I think that was later? We'd venture to east Utica for pusties and pizza.

I thought the neighborhood was diverse because my polish grandparents had an Italian neighbor on one side and a Lebanese on the other.

Did spilkas used to have a sign that advertised clams?

My grandfather was really involved in youth baseball....the Angels? Were they a plav team? He and I also used to walk to the ballpark to see the blue sox in the 80's...they ere rookie league for the phillies but gramps still thought they were overplayed professionals.

Commandants? Was that a polish hall?

I was born in Utica and lived there until 77, but visited often in the 80's and occasionally until about 5 years ago. Heading back soon and dreading what I will see....
Old Heller

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

I think it burned down in 79,Do remember Duxback?
Old Heller

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Judged:

Spilkas had clams on the porch, I think the hotel part upstairs is still open. If you havent been in Utica in awhile you are going to cry like the Indian in the old littering commercial in the70's. STAY AWAY FROM THE WEST SIDE.Its bad now.
capital ave

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2013

Judged:

when society started letting people collect disability who were not disabled thats when the problems started.the late 70s is the beginning of what you have now. people dont have to work,therefore they have very little pride,low self esteem,addiction problems.the west utica i remember was safe everybodys father had jobs and morales.if we did something wrong we were afraid of our fathers,we had guidance.not the kids today.i live in the suburbs thankgod!

Level 2

Since: Jun 12

Sherrill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Typical response. I guess you're not part of society. When society lost it's humanist side is when things started going downhill. People would rather point, comment, and keep their hands clean then trying to change society for the better. I was on the West side tonight. It'd be nice to get some new roads there and tear down some empty buildings. You wouldn't want to pay for that, though, would you?
ed bananna

Whitesboro, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

LBT_Animosity wrote:
Typical response. I guess you're not part of society. When society lost it's humanist side is when things started going downhill. People would rather point, comment, and keep their hands clean then trying to change society for the better. I was on the West side tonight. It'd be nice to get some new roads there and tear down some empty buildings. You wouldn't want to pay for that, though, would you?
why are you complaining about the roads?you dont even own a car you bum!haha
Uly

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

Old Heller wrote:
Spilkas had clams on the porch, I think the hotel part upstairs is still open. If you havent been in Utica in awhile you are going to cry like the Indian in the old littering commercial in the70's. STAY AWAY FROM THE WEST SIDE.Its bad now.
Most def, it's like South street was 30-40 years ago.
Colleen

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2013

Judged:

I went to Lincoln Elementary School 1964 to1968 or 69. We lived on Churchill I live in Tulsa Oklahoma now! I. Have lots of fond childhood memories from that time . Pixlie Park , Addison Miller Mohannas Drug store Teachers Mr Vendetta., Mrs Lovechio , Mrs Monticalvo. Mrs Graff. Anyone remember them and maybe a girl named Colleen M..
capital ave

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

LBT_Animosity wrote:
stay in sherrill you fit right in there.cow manure.
ex utican

Whitesboro, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

capital ave wrote:
when society started letting people collect disability who were not disabled thats when the problems started.the late 70s is the beginning of what you have now. people dont have to work,therefore they have very little pride,low self esteem,addiction problems.the west utica i remember was safe everybodys father had jobs and morales.if we did something wrong we were afraid of our fathers,we had guidance.not the kids today.i live in the suburbs thankgod!
totally agree.couldnt have said it better.

Level 2

Since: Jun 12

Sherrill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

capital ave wrote:
<quoted text>stay in sherrill you fit right in there.cow manure.
I can't say there's a farm in Sherrill. Are you thinking Town of Vernon?
Patrick Duffy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

angel wrote:
who were the macners' that owned the pub and store in the 1970's?
i think it was great that people who lived on the same streets followed similar living and did things together...it most definitely created a better neighborhood and it was easier to tell who the trouble makers were..now we group things by age , health, and income...but on the plus side we have more individuality...
my grandfather owned that pub- Frank Macner. Pop died in 86 and so did the pub
West

Bardstown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

West side looks like a bomb hit it. What happen? Home at thx giving rode thru the old neighborhood .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••