West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...

Level 7

Since: Apr 13

New Hartford, NY

#739 Jun 30, 2013
Interesting. I will hubby abut it

Level 5

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#740 Jun 30, 2013
I didn't live in Utica until I married. I am not sure about the location. Was that near Columbia Square?
hmmm

Utica, NY

#741 Jun 30, 2013
Super Mighty Mouse wrote:
I didn't live in Utica until I married. I am not sure about the location. Was that near Columbia Square?
The Globe Mill and the Stanley restaurant were/are on Court Street. The Globe Mill building is still there and is directly across the street from the brewery. The Stanley restaurant is a block east of the mill on Court St. and on the other side of the street.

“Getting To The Meat Of It”

Level 8

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#742 Jun 30, 2013
Who was the Mayor of Utica around 1972 ?
Fat Tony Salerno

United States

#743 Jun 30, 2013
Mr Meat Head wrote:
Who was the Mayor of Utica around 1972 ?
Mike Caruso. He was good people.
gary

Washington, DC

#744 Jul 4, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, the story of my youth! We lived across the street from Tillie Greens on Oak, I picked up my Utica OD's to deliver at Mamie's and I hung out with the guys onthe steps in front of Cardinales. I still run into Norm Cardinale once in a while. Thanks for the memory!
I also hung out on the steps of Cardinale's in the 50's and lived across the street. Nick and Norm are old friends that I havenn't seen in years. This forum brings back a lot. Mamies, Wahington school.
Wink wink

Herkimer, NY

#745 Jul 4, 2013
jjjjjjjjjjj wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a restaurant called the Stanley in that neighborhood across the street that women were only allowed to enter through a side door and were not allowed to go through the door that opened into the bar. I remember my mom took me there once to get a sandwich after shopping and she made the mistake of using the wrong door. They told her she had to go in the other way and they were not nice about it. That was the first and last time we ever went there and I don't think my mom ever forgot that. That had to be in the 1960's.
Yea, I'd like to see them try to do that to women today!!!!
meghan61

Ithaca, NY

#746 Jul 5, 2013
gary wrote:
<quoted text>
I also hung out on the steps of Cardinale's in the 50's and lived across the street. Nick and Norm are old friends that I havenn't seen in years. This forum brings back a lot. Mamies, Wahington school.
Norm and family live near old burrstone road. His son craig is on facebook, you can message him.

“Getting To The Meat Of It”

Level 8

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#747 Jul 5, 2013
Why did Mike Caruso only serve like a year ?

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#748 Jul 6, 2013
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Globe Mill and the Stanley restaurant were/are on Court Street. The Globe Mill building is still there and is directly across the street from the brewery. The Stanley restaurant is a block east of the mill on Court St. and on the other side of the street.
Thanks, very good discription.
howtimeschange

United States

#750 Jul 8, 2013
Now Stanleys is home to every pot head in the neighborhood. It's the most depressing bar I've ever visited. Same people are there day after day, month after month, and year after year. Smokin dope on the back steps and slowly rotting away. You can smell the rot. Sad.
lanceman

Irvine, CA

#751 Jul 16, 2013
Mr Meat Head wrote:
Why did Mike Caruso only serve like a year ?
Didn't Ed Hanna defeat Caruso's re-election? I think Hanna had 2 terms and then Steve Pawlinga got elected. Pawlinga really increased Utica's dependence on Federal money. Every time he would brag about a Federal grant for some pork barrel spending project, he would proclaim "...And it didn't cost the taxpayers a cent!" Did he ever wonder where the feds got their money from?
Uticakid84

Utica, NY

#752 Jul 17, 2013
Does anyone know anything about the Roundhouse garage on the Corner of noyes and Francis.
Laborer

Herkimer, NY

#753 Jul 17, 2013
I used to work there as a kid; sweeping out the corners:)
Uticakid84

Utica, NY

#754 Jul 17, 2013
Do you know anything about the owner.
Owner is

Sherburne, NY

#755 Jul 17, 2013
The owner was Frank Rumbutis.
Shattered

Clinton, NY

#756 Jul 17, 2013
40 Years later you can drive around utica and listen to rolling stones shattered on repeat and laugh your ass off
Auggie

Herkimer, NY

#757 Jul 30, 2013
Shattered wrote:
40 Years later you can drive around utica and listen to rolling stones shattered on repeat and laugh your ass off
Does anyone remember School's Hotel, near the Yorkville line? Great food and good patrons; lots of fun in that place.
southside johnny

Raleigh, NC

#758 Jul 31, 2013
was that scholls hotel
Auggie

Herkimer, NY

#759 Jul 31, 2013
southside johnny wrote:
was that scholls hotel
Yes; sorry. I spent more time at Scholl's than I did at school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Liz Salerno dating her dad? 3 min Steph 52
President Trump a Great Leader 11 min Proud Countryman 1
Scooby dog food smell 44 min Not lately 4
On The Mark gone again 54 min Town worker 4
Kelly Uvanni or the Summitt car girl? 58 min Mmm mmm good 9
NEW REALITY SHOW! "Only in Utica"! 2 hr Utica 5
Insane Woman Utica 2 hr Utica 1
Joette Mancuso 6 hr CNY Poverty Pit 11
Work On Aud Improvements 6 hr CNY Poverty Pit 425
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 8 hr CNY Poverty Pit 102